Orca from JAWS

Time to finish off the lower cabin.
IMG_8628.jpeg

the aluminium tube arrived today to build the ladder. I can’t solder it but I think I’ve found a solid way to join it. I’ll have to make the “welds” look a lot messier to be screen accurate though

Attachments

• IMG_8673.jpeg
    IMG_8673.jpeg
    935.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8684.jpeg
    IMG_8684.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 44
Laminated the cambered foredeck with 3 layers of thin ply including some removable hatches where the foredeck storage plinths will be. I just have to cut the beams under the hatches and attach them to the hatch covers. Planks for the hull cut and ready to go.

front windows temporarily in place before I shave down the laminated edges to the angle of the roof. Bottom, joining and outer edges already contoured to fit the cambered foredeck. Not having to fill and gaps is oddly satisfying. Lowrance in place to check I got the geometry correct, accounting for contouring the squared off edges. Really, really happy that I spent 20 plus years perfecting the plans so things are disconcertingly falling into place with no problem

Attachments

• IMG_8752.jpeg
    IMG_8752.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8751.jpeg
    IMG_8751.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8750.jpeg
    IMG_8750.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
I got up early this morning as I had a nagging compulsion to get the forward windows built and installed. The acrylic is pretty scratched up but I can always replace it later

Attachments

• IMG_8755.jpeg
    IMG_8755.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8756.jpeg
    IMG_8756.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
This is what it’s all about for me. I’m really looking forward to recreating the shot set ups aboard the Orca, junk et al. The forward windows are in the correct position now after some tweaking. Next job, routing out the propshaft channel, greasing it and fitting before I can plank the hull.

Attachments

• IMG_8786.jpeg
    IMG_8786.jpeg
    630.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8788.jpeg
    IMG_8788.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 58
An interesting little nuance and one to document for posterity. The black circle where the tiger shark jaws hang wasn’t in the centre of the flybridge. I guess they didn’t count the boards and centred it on a join and not the central board.

Attachments

• IMG_8797.jpeg
    IMG_8797.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
Not much to share other than a splash of colour on the interior of the forward windows and the trim around the top of the bulkhead. The prop arrived. Left handed triple blade. The edges need sharpening. I also test fitted a tube of Butrate at the steering column for the fly bridge. Everything lines up great so far!

Attachments

• IMG_8838.jpeg
    IMG_8838.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Foredeck storage compartments on. I’m undecided whether or not to hinge them as they were never used in the movie and scale hinges aka dolls house hinges are cheap and nasty and not to scale. I could fabricate my own in the future perhaps.

Attachments

• IMG_8842.jpeg
    IMG_8842.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back