My Rassilon's Sonic Screwdriver Build.

So, back in January I received a most generous gift. A Rassilon's Custom Sonic Screwdriver kit.

As my first order of business I'd like to publicly thank Rassilon for his generosity, and for being a plain good guy. When I had questions about the product, the man literally call me straight away to discuss them, and was a pleasure to talk to.

Now, on t the prop at hand!

Upon receiving the kit I couldn't shake the notion that it was MEANT to be a Series 1-2 SS. So, with a little creative reworking of the slider button...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And a flash pic to show off the blue strip.

my-rassilons-sonic-screwdriver-build-4.jpg-99119d1340229744

All that remains is to wire it up for light. w00t!

Now, I know he claims these to be "custom sonics", and clearly they serve that purpose well, but I think it makes a damned fine Series 1-2. Not 100% SA, but it sure sells it. And the price for one of these bad boys is unbelievable!

Thanks again dude, I'm honored to own it. :cool

Last edited:
That is an “EXCELLENT” example of what you can do with a Rassilon Custom Sonic kit. The sonic kit with some imagination or alteration can be customised into whatever you like.

Very impressive workmanship and I so do like the blue lens cap you have used as well as the other modifications.

It’s very pleasing to work with this section of the forum, and to help members like your self with there sonic projects, wether it be custom, or looking to do a screen accurate version, it’s all about having fun at what you like doing.

This is a Rassilon Custom Tennant that I had just completed for GMB1of12000

14078-res2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Rassilon. And the Blue Lens cap is actually the one you provided...I just reduced it's height and sanded out the starburst pattern giving it that nice diffused look.

Oh..... very nice, I sure did leave room for improvements.

The brass tube has been replaced with an Aluminium tube or did you machine up a stainless steel replacement tube.

Oh..... very nice, I sure did leave room for improvements.

The brass tube has been replaced with an Aluminium tube or did you machine up a stainless steel replacement tube.

Nothing so upscale I'm afraid. That's just a well buffed Krylon Chome paint job. Buffed up pretty nice I'd say.

The other mods I did were to reduce the length of the crenelated alu. bit where it goes into the body, allowing more travel with the slider. I added the "filler" piece to it as well. I also tapered the end of the battery compartment & put a heavy chamfer inside the end of the alu. end piece. This gave me smoother action on the retraction slide.

The button was filed down to 1/2" square, and then I made the Aztec style cap from .05" PVC sheeting, laminated and filed to shape.

The crackle paint is, get this, nothing more than "Delta Ceramcoat". It took 2 colors, a clear coat, and the crackle medium to get that finish. @ $2 a bottle, I couldn't be more satisfied.

Ohh...the blue stripe...yeah, that was some nail polish I snagged from my Sister in Law. XD

Last edited:
Oh have been meaning to ask, did you have any issues installing the new Acrylic shaft I sent you, by the build I can see that the replacement went well.

There could have been a fine crack on the shoulder that can happen when machining Acrylic, it’s a real pain. It develops fine cracks if you machine it to fast or dont use a dry lubrication, as the carbide tool tip cuts into the Acrylic it creates heat and that leads to thermal shock to the Acrylic, it’s a lot like poring boiling water into a cold glass.

The new version the MkII that I have been working on the shoulder has been shortened by 3-4mm, and also is bonded with two part resin glue.

Oh have been meaning to ask, did you have any issues installing the new Acrylic shaft I sent you, by the build I can see that the replacement went well.

There could have been a fine crack on the shoulder that can happen when machining Acrylic, it’s a real pain. It develops fine cracks if you machine it to fast or dont use a dry lubrication, as the carbide tool tip cuts into the Acrylic it creates heat and that leads to thermal shock to the Acrylic, it’s a lot like poring boiling water into a cold glass.

The new version the MkII that I have been working on the shoulder has been shortened by 3-4mm, and also is bonded with two part resin glue.

Not a problem in the world! The replacement ball end coupler fit just perfectly, not too loose, and not so tight that it would create a stress point on my favorite of the 4 replacement necks you sent me. Just pressed the neck into the slider, dabbed a bit of epoxy on the appropriate part of the neck, screwed the ball end into the head cage and aligned everything by standing the SS up on it's emitter for 24hrs. :cool

For those curious (though it does seem to be just Rassilon and I in here), my 10yr old daughter dropped the Sonic fully opened and it landed on the head right after it's arrival. Snapped the neck off right where it meets the ball coupler.

When I asked Rassilon about his assembly techniques to facilitate a better repair (ie. I didn't want to break it MORE trying to fix it.) he suggested the best course of action would be to remove the old neck, and wait for the new one(s) he was placing in the mail.

+1,000,000 points for excellent customer service!

Hey OM, I will have to employ your 10yr old daughter as a product tester, like they do for kids toys, to see how they hold up.
I did drop my fist one I build but it was on carpet and it was closed.
I never took into account it been used as a children’s toy, due to the price of the sonic.

Hey OM, I will have to employ your 10yr old daughter as a product tester, like they do for kids toys, to see how they hold up.
I did drop my fist one I build but it was on carpet and it was closed.
I never took into account it been used as a children’s toy, due to the price of the sonic.

As I mentioned previously, I never took it into account either. :lol

Kids are rascals, no doubt. But hey, I'll be more than happy to have her try and break anything you like. :lol

Oh, yeah I did see that entry, Starting to get things mixed up, got to much going on at work, there has been quite a lot of very interesting entry’s in that competition. good luck to everyone.

Orange_blend is doing a fine “NO” an excellent job as the competition Administrator. :thumbsup I do wish I could enter the competition, :cry but there is one thing that will be of some consolation, :) and that is, I get to be the fist to hold the winning sonic. :wacko

Beautiful work! The kit really does lend itself perfectly to the Season 1-2 version.

Once the winter hits here I should finally have the time to get some work done on mine. I'm dreading how many attemps I'll have to make before I get the crackle something close to right.

Beautiful work! The kit really does lend itself perfectly to the Season 1-2 version.

Once the winter hits here I should finally have the time to get some work done on mine. I'm dreading how many attemps I'll have to make before I get the crackle something close to right.

Having the parts to make a custom Tennant sonic allows you to be creative.

I have to sit down and buy myself one of these myself... one day.

OM: One question, what did you use for the new swith slider?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back