Classic Sonic Screwdriver mods

deck5

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A Sonic Screwdriver -- one of RussRep's from the recent thread -- with some redressing. The original body is uniformly aluminum; I've added the black bands, the white selector wheel, and the silver collar just under the halo. Other mods you can't see in the pics are a gentler spring, and lined pathways to eliminate aluminum-on-aluminum friction.

myss4.jpg

myss1.jpg

myss3.jpg

Last edited:
Great work.

A few questions, that white selector wheel, is that pained on? Or is it some kind of a sticker? And what symbols are on it? How did you get them on it? And how did you know what symbols to use? Are the symbols screen accurate?

That is indeed very nice. I remember seeing an abscure image of the 'setting control dial' but never getting a clear image of the symbols. I too would be very interseted in them.

My old sonic! I'd all but forgotten about it.

attachment.php

The selector I made with a three step process -- first, a strip of reflective tape, then a transparency reverse-printed with the symbols, and then a layer of clear enamel to seal it on.

One or two of the symbols I took from screen captures, but the rest are my artistic license. I used Greek letters, which fit with what I could see, and also with other references to sonic settings in the classic series.

sonicf.jpg

I was watching Destiny Of The Daleks and noticed the symbols for the first time. In the past my television never had the resolution to notice it. I agree with the Greek symbols. In The Android Invasion he tells Sarah to set the Sonic Screwdriver "Theta Omega", which supports the use of the Greek leters.

Very cool work. For the white band on my Sonic Screwdrivers I also used white reflector tape. I coated it with five minute epoxy to seal and protect it. I'll have to try your transperancy trick. Great work!!!

I disagree -- the ring is definitely white, and the lettering red. The body of the sonic is just milled aluminum, so there's nothing to flake.

That sonic looks great.
It looks like the ring is painted white from the screen caps (Lo-Res). Does anyone have screen caps from the DVD? I have always wondered what was on that band.

1.png
2.png

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back