C.O. 9-10 Sonic screwdriver with minor upgrades

d_jedi1

Sr Member
I recently saw a picture describing changes that would be needed to make the Character Options Sonic more accurate. I found one being sold (loose) at a decent price and figured I'd have a go. I ended up sacrificing a bit less of the toy than was called for in the pic but I like the way it turned out.
I also repainted it, added aluminum tape to the "metal" parts, and made some other minor physical changes.

the last couple of shots show a physically unmodified sonic (though it's been repainted and has the aluminum tape too) to show the difference in size.

The tape actually looks very good. You're in the US, so you can probably find some of the correct Valspar Crackle spray paint in a local Jo-Ann's.

I'm not sure about getting into the clear tube. I've been a little afraid to. :lol
For enhancing the ridges, I used one of those two-part puttys that you squeeze and knead together. I actually made them a bit too big at first and had to sand them down a bit. lol
The tape definitely shines em up and contributes to the overall appearance.. as long as you don't look TOO closely.
edit: I've been eyeballing those paints there for a while now to be honest though until recently, I wasn't sure if they were the correct colors.

Don't worry about the color, all you need to know is that the cream top coat is available in the US and gold isn't. That solves the problem for you.

Also, I wouldn't risk trying to get into the clear tube. I did, and that sonic is no more.

:eek OH NOES!!! NOT AGAIN! :lol

lol no thats not what I'm trying to say :p doggonit I need to word things better.
I meant that until recently, I wasn't sure if they were the right colors as it was recently confirmed that they were.. or I read it recently anyway.
but ugh.. yeah I don't wanna get into an "accurate color controversy" like I've seen on the ones discussing MFX VS CT.
Both of those sonics look great and both are (currently) out of my price range.

Could I ask where you saw the pics describing the alts needed?

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I hadn't noticed another message in here before and only now when I was looking FOR this thread did I notice it.
I think I found the pic here to be honest.
I'll add it as an attachment.
edit: like I mentioned, I cut off less than was called for in the pic. I basically cut off a section from the end of the slider slot to the end of that section where it starts to curve in. Then, I hollowed out the section below that to allow the slider to move down into it. I had to remove a bit of the section going down to the pen-nib part so thats all glued together but it worked out nicely.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back