11th Doctor's sonic screwdriver at DragonCon?

emeraldnite

I was just wondering if anyone who went got some pictures from the Quantum Mechanix booth of the prototype (I've heard people got to hold it and saw one blurry photo).

IMG_0208.jpg

I got two but the second one was mostly in case the first one came out ****e.

The booth was swamped with Browncoats, Whovians and the general crushing tide of humanity of a busy dealer room with narrow lanes.

Edit to add: This is only a prototype but QMx has access to the BBC prop dept for these so they should come out quite accurate. They've also got the original and Eccleston/Tennant ones in prototype. Pics in the bucket.

That looks awesome.
Did it have sound?
Did it open with a flick of the wrist?
and was there a River Song library screwdriver and Master's laser screwdriver on show as well?

That looks awesome.
Did it have sound?
Did it open with a flick of the wrist?
and was there a River Song library screwdriver and Master's laser screwdriver on show as well?

Yes it does, not as yet, not sure but I think it was in the works, no and no. ;)

Funny story... the guy at the QMx booth was telling me that a lady walked up and was looking at the Sonics. She then proceeds to ask "How much for the vibrator?"

Not sure. Do they have the license for Doctor Who?

Edit to add: That's the prototype for QMx's version.

it's just that it looks a lot like the Russ Brown sonic. XD I was just wondering if they may have gotten his to use for a prototype is all. XD

it's just that it looks a lot like the Russ Brown sonic. XD I was just wondering if they may have gotten his to use for a prototype is all. XD

Don't they look the same because they are both close representations of the same prop?

Don't they look the same because they are both close representations of the same prop?

You'd never confuse a TLP sonic for a Russ Brown Sonic or a BoatBuilders sonic for either. Each maker have their own flavor in the details and finish. Russ uses a one inch halo and usually anodizes it where many others make smaller emitter halos and larger emitter bullets. Looking at the grip proportions and halo diameter it looks a lot like one of Russ' sonics. just saying is all.

You'd never confuse a TLP sonic for a Russ Brown Sonic or a BoatBuilders sonic for either. Each maker have their own flavor in the details and finish. Russ uses a one inch halo and usually anodizes it where many others make smaller emitter halos and larger emitter bullets. Looking at the grip proportions and halo diameter it looks a lot like one of Russ' sonics. just saying is all.

It's my understanding that the prototypes were built off of the masters in the BBC props dept. That being the case, it sounds like Russ has an excellent eye for detail and proportion.

It's my understanding that the prototypes were built off of the masters in the BBC props dept. That being the case, it sounds like Russ has an excellent eye for detail and proportion.

There isn't a master classic sonic. It was stolen years ago from JNTs desk. It does look like a Russrep halo as it is slightly too large. As Russ worked on the MFX version, I don't see why he wouldn't be involved in making the proto for QMX. His sonic had pretty much the right dimensions apart from the halo. TLPs latest version is the most accurate to the prop though.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back