Done / Completed DREDD 3D Lawgiver kit by morganthirteen & joatrash (OPEN))

Re: DREDD 3D Lawgiver castings... (NEW photo!)

edited. sorry.

What? Who? Hahaha. No worries.

Should be another update coming soon guys!

I think that once we get casting and shipping, these may have to go out in order of payment so everyone please be ready for these in the next couple of weeks or so. Since there are so many signed up right now they'll have to be done in small batches and we don't want to keep everyone waiting.

Looking forward to this ! Are rubber versions possible? I'll always take hard rubber over plastic when it comes to a gun . NO PUN INTENDED.

Looking forward to this!!! Is a rubber version possible? I always prefer a high shore rubber casting when it comes to guns :)

Last edited:

I don't know if rubber is an option. I'll let Shawn chime in on that one but I would imagine that it depends on interest. Either way, Shawn doesn't cast in that crappy, brittle yellowish resin which makes me very happy.

Hello everyone. I should start claying up the pistol this weekend and I am planning on making two sets of molds to speed up production. I made two mother mold boxes this week and once the master has been successfully demolded from the first mold I will begin work to immediately build the second.

The resin I use is from Smooth-On, which I prefer because it has no odor and can now be tinted black (which comes out a dark gray) and makes painting much easier. Smooth-On *does* offer black resins, both a fast and slow cure, but those are a tad thicker than I prefer and once cured are far too brittle for my tastes. Rubber may be the preferred choice for some, but that will not happen for this initial run. I am planning on offering the choice of a rotocast foam filled or solid resin version, however.

I should have a ton of pics this weekend!

Shawn

Hello everyone. I should start claying up the pistol this weekend and I am planning on making two sets of molds to speed up production. I made two mother mold boxes this week and once the master has been successfully demolded from the first mold I will begin work to immediately build the second.

The resin I use is from Smooth-On, which I prefer because it has no odor and can now be tinted black (which comes out a dark gray) and makes painting much easier. Smooth-On *does* offer black resins, both a fast and slow cure, but those are a tad thicker than I prefer and once cured are far too brittle for my tastes. Rubber may be the preferred choice for some, but that will not happen for this initial run. I am planning on offering the choice of a rotocast foam filled or solid resin version, however.

I should have a ton of pics this weekend!

Shawn

My day has officially just been made!! Can't wait to see the pics!

-B89!

I am planning on offering the choice of a rotocast foam filled or solid resin version, however.
This might be a dumb request, but could you list some of the pros/cons of either version? Because I'm reading that there will be 2 versions, but at this point, I don't have any real notions on why I would pick one over the other... :unsure

Thanks!

This might be a dumb request, but could you list some of the pros/cons of either version? Because I'm reading that there will be 2 versions, but at this point, I don't have any real notions on why I would pick one over the other... :unsure

Thanks!

Well, the way I see it (albeit with limited experience)
Rotocast foam:
-weighs less
-easier to dremel out if you want to add electronics

Can't say if it is more DURABLE though. I imagine that it might actually be able to withstand bumps and hits better than a solid one if the foam inside acts a little like a cushion since it isn't as rigid. On the other hand it will be more susceptible to damage from sharp, pointy things.

Foam=lighter (for costuming)

Solid resin=heavier and without the extra mold work for the hollowed areas.

Here's a few more photos.

This is the interior of the "flash hider". I've built a recessed barrel at the bottom, and filled in the lower void. This way if you don't want to add the supressor you don't have to.

lawgivermaster7_zps40aab7b2.png

Here's the interior of the lower mag. I added some styrene shims to the interior to beef up the side walls a bit and remove the undercuts to make molding and casting easier...I would later drop an additional plate down at the bottom to bring up a bit more to make ammo castings sit level and plum...

lawgiver13_zps804521b7.png

In the mold and being clayed up. Notice the thin tan areas around some of the Glock mechanisms? That's clay that's been pushed into seams to keep silicone from seeping in.

lawgivermaster10_zps61def19c.png

Print coat of silicone in progress. This side has since been filled up and sealed. The mag has also been molded. I hope to pour the other half tomorrow and pull a few castings from the magazine mold. Pics to follow!

2372b4cf-ce9b-46db-9cac-048f838ab0a7_zps489dbf7d.jpg

Shawn

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! Busting at the seams in anticipation of just holding this in my hands!

Me too.. and I made the darn shell! :lol

I thought I was done with my "hero" with the airsoft inside, but after seeing what Shawn has made of my shell... well, let's just say that my "hero" Lawgiver just had a BATH. In ACETONE.

Here's the other side about to get silicone (I did wind up adding one tiny detail that only seemed appropriate-not seen here). With luck I should have a casting to either late tomorrow or Wednesday. I also ordered some inert 9mm rounds that I'll configure in a group and mold for the forward mag once they arrive. Thanks for everyone's patience!

lawgivermold1_zps0eb67949.png

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back