Limited Run Dredd Lawgiver 2012 Full Electronics and Action

Won't have any video done until next week now. asavage has kindly given me a time extension to get it right which I've used to take the paint slow and steady, this meant letting each coat cure before the next coat so I've been doing one a day rather than rushing it all through in 3 days.

I initially set an absurd timeline which would have meant rushing his paint and rushing it into shipping to make up for the one that got lost, and the final product 50/50 would be have been a box full of chipped paint. We gave all the run ones lots of time to cure before shipping, it would be foolish to rush the last one. I've been spending the extra time editing, and lo and behold, it takes a looonnnggg time to cut 40+ hours of footage into something viewable, even with my daughter doing a ton of work on the initial cut ahead of me.

On a fun note: Craig's (Spidey74) coming over from the Island over the weekend so we can staff a booth at Fan Expo Vancouver, something I literally have one day to prep for I just realized! If you're in the area, come check us out, we're at booth E832 and will have a working Lawgiver with us (my early V3 version, but it works) along with a bunch of other cool projects.

Updates:
Took a break last week to prepare for the Vancouver FanExpo, where Props3D and I are exhibitors. We attend to show off our props, showing the art of the possible with 3D Printing, helping Cosplayers with on-site repairs, and meeting tons of interesting and passionate people.

Over the last couple of weeks, I completed the final electronics which resulted in a few more code updates to Github. This weekend I have the last two Lawgivers completed and ready for shipping.
1677376776587.png
1677376795039.png

Props3D will message you about final payment and shipping. Once received I'll get them in the post asap.

P.S.
Here's Chris and I at the Expo in front of our booth. After 10 years, I finally completed my Judge costume and wore it out for the first time. The LG was the star of show course!
1677376646541.png

P.P.S.
I managed to get my headbed thermistor finally installed and running again. As Props3D has done it many times, he mentioned that I should double check the connection on the EINSY board since there are three identical ports. Sure enough - I plugged it into the wrong port :(. After some bedleveling, it's back in business.

Last edited:
STILL trucking on the video, ran into an obvious issue with the video LG: I had lots of time with the other ones so they were well cured before shipping, but my sneaky plan was the last LG was for Toy Traders, my good friends and the world's best toy store*. I would have given it to them and just let it cure in the display. But now Adam Savage is getting the video one as his replacement so it has to cure properly at each step to withstand the rigors of shipping, sigh.

I haven't been idle though, on the sly those who have been fortunate to have had problems during the run have been getting 'customer service grenades' as applogies. This is my first big run and an incredibly complicated project, so a few 'oopsies' have happened. So in full disclosure we have dealt with those issues by just hucking a few grenades at people for the inconvenience. So just to carry the gag further I did a custom stand for the gas grenade, and finished the models for the stun/proximity mine with stands. I'll be publishing all the grenade models with stands for free on the Props3D thingiverse page along with a tutorial video on how to make them not too long after the run is finished:

Dredd_-_Gas_Grenade_2023-Mar-01_02-53-40AM-000_CustomizedView12319809930.png

I'll have more info on the video in a few days, just didn't want to go dark on everyone!

- Chris

* If you don't believe me on Toy Traders being the best here's Kevin Smith loosing it over the store from a few years back, and it's only gotten cooler. If you go to the 'cage' in the back where all the good stuff is kept you can see a lot of the Props 3D models on display, including the Lawgiver soon. I'll be working with them later in the year to create an interactive panel to play with all the electronic props like the LG without risking breaking them, so stop by and give it a whirl!

Last edited:
Well, well, well, look at what showed up at my door!

20230303_194802.jpg

20230303_194738.jpg

The day before I ship asavage his new Lawgiver the one that got lost in the mail finally made it's way back! It looks like it's been on a h%ll of a journey, the box is beat up, there's a few scuffs, but the LG is otherwise in perfect condition. Is there something about putting fragile stickers on boxes that go to states in the South East I should know? (for the record it wasn't supposed to go to the south east, that was sorta the problem)

I'm going to strip it down, refinish and it should be as good as new, I'll figure out what to do with it later but I'm soo glad all that work didn't go to waste.

As to his redo:

20230303_195807.jpg

This is Adam Savage's redo, aka the video lawgiver, think it's sat enough for final assembly now. It got an extra few days of curing because I got a head cold and sounded like Mr. Magoo, that would have broken continuity in the video a bit :D. So when this done filming is done, finally.

Video 1 has a first cut, and into editing video 2 now, and filming the assembly tomorrow and the making of the metal barrel using 3D printed templates either same day or Sunday, and get this one mailed out. So then I can devote my time to editing.

Next two Lawgivers have gone out, so this (yet again) is home stretch! I think I've run out of jinxes so I can confidently say that now...

Last edited:
Well, I've received a few DMs about what I intend to do with the returned Lawgiver so here goes:

When the run started I did the first 3 with a slightly different trigger guard, because I'm ADHD and I wanted everyone to have the exact same experience I set two of those aside, made one for me, and there they've sat ever since. Now the one lost in lost in shipping resurfaced I'm planning on reconditioning that one for Toy Traders then not doing them another one. This has basically dominated my life for 6 months and while it's been a great experience the opportunity to shave a few weeks off the time isn't something I'm going to pass up :)

So that leaves me with 2 extra. Because I've changed paints etc. I'm 'reconditioning' those two so they'll be an exact feature match for the finals that went out, so they're back up for grabs, same price. They've overall had more work than the ones that went out. If you wonder what I mean by 'reconditioning' here's the lost one on reconditioning pass 1, getting stripped down for a full repaint and refinish:

20230304_124458.jpg

So the other two are going up for sale to help fund a Prusa XL for the pulse rifle project coming up.

Same conditions: Metal trigger, metal barrel, full electronics, custom brass name plate, 250 USD deposit, 350 USD on completion. First come first serve.

20230303_200021.jpg

It'll probably take me 2~3 weeks to fully recondition them, so it won't be a long wait.

Please let me know if they’re both officially gone.
Yes, they went within a minute, sorry. The files etc are still free and the build videos are coming soon if you want to try and make one, happy to help you with the build any way I can. I still have some complete parts kits coming out soon but I'm not making any more complete LG's unfortunately, they're just too labour intensive to make.
You a dual-wielding Judge? lol
Ya, I know with such a limited supply there may be some head scratching for two going to the same person, I'm also aware that's not exactly what you asked but I'm co-opting it anyway:
A) First come first serve, and he was on it in less than a min, which is impressive.
B) He asked for 2 right from the start but I couldn't make it happen due to the limited supply
C) The run was itself was inspired by him, I was new on the RPF and just posting the build and he was the first one who suggested 'why not do a run?' to me last year, so it's sorta poetic that he gets both the first and last. So this whole reply is a double co-opt to recognize his contribution as well :p
D) Knightmare I better see a pic posted of you dual wielding LG's at the end of this run

Last edited:
Yes, they went within a minute, sorry. The files etc are still free and the build videos are coming soon if you want to try and make one, happy to help you with the build any way I can. I still have some complete parts kits coming out soon but I'm not making any more complete LG's unfortunately, they're just too labour intensive to make.

Ya, I know with such a limited supply there may be some head scratching for two going to the same person, I'm also aware that's not exactly what you asked but I'm co-opting it anyway:
A) First come first serve, and he was on it in less than a min, which is impressive.
B) He asked for 2 right from the start but I couldn't make it happen due to the limited supply
C) The run was itself was inspired by him, I was new on the RPF and just posting the build and he was the first one who suggested 'why not do a run?' to me last year, so it's sorta poetic that he gets both the first and last. So this whole reply is a double co-opt to recognize his contribution as well :p
D) Knightmare I better see a pic posted of you dual wielding LG's at the end of t
It’s a honor to be part of this run in anyway really wow thanks ! I had tried for years to find someone to make this amazing prop a reality and figured this forum was my last best shot . I really consider this one if not the nicest props ever created on the RPF . I also would like it be known I have several video cameras outside my home and also John Wick on Video ! lol

Awesome! Glad it arrived :)

-----------------------------------------------
Updates:
Video 1 is filmed has a full rough cut
Video 2 is filmed and in editing
Video 3 is 99% filmed, and shows Adam Savage's redo. I didn't do the beauty shots because it was boxed and off to the post office within 5min of assembly. I'll take the beauty shots of the Toy Traders one when it's done, they're all the same so you shouldn't be able to tell unless you look carefully :)

Grenade models are finalized:

20230309_201018.jpg

Those took way longer than they should, multi-tasking with finishing/reconditioning lawgivers and doing these at the same time led to some very stupid cockups. Epoxying gas grenade pins down, mixing versions on the electronic ones so the electronics don't fit, getting the magnet size wrong on the mine. But done!

So if you're one of the couple of people I owe grenades to you should be seeing them soon. I'll release the models soon but feel free to DM me if you want any of the models now, not gatekeeping but trying to slowly get to the point where model and video releases are in sync.

After all's said and done I'll have 6 complete Lawgiver parts kits to sell, and they'll include metal Beakz Barrels (tm), he's shipping them over soon. This is a one time thing to clear inventory but all parts are easily sourcable if you want to make your own, and the video is step by step so it shouldn't be that hard. There will be a delay in shipping any ordered from now as I'm not starting them until the last few orders are done and the videos are out.

Last edited:
Just an update, the final LG for Toy Traders is now curing, along with a returned one. There was nothing wrong with the retuned one pesay, there was a miscommunication and the plate was wrong so I changed it and upgraded the caddy while I had it. There was also a bit of unintentional marring from a glue incident on the user side so I decided to just refinish it while I was at it.

The two with the slightly different trigger guards are reconditioned and ready to go except for electronics, the parts are bagged that are cured to prevent damage (bottom) and the rest are refinished and curing now:

20230314_171737.jpg

All of them are going to need electronics, so that's 4 sets, and I need a set, and I still owe someone a set so that's 6. So I might as well make the rest at the same time, it's a figgin ton of soldering and wiring, was at it 11 hours on Sunday, down to the last operation, attaching the parts to the Arduino:
20230314_171230.jpg

So pretty much everything should be ready to go this week.

And the video editing chugs along... sooo much footage.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back