Deadmau5 Head

2w7pqb6.jpg

My Mau5head that i just finished...the eyes light up to the beat!

anybody know what cloth he is using?

It looks like that book cover stuff or spandex. Im not sure but It will really really help is somebody tells me. Thanks :)

anybody know what cloth he is using?

It looks like that book cover stuff or spandex. Im not sure but It will really really help is somebody tells me. Thanks :)

Honestly, I joined the forum just to ask this same question haha. I'm 99% sure that spidermanc is using some form of spandex while fourleaf is using a stretchy velvet as suggested in Robert Darwin's walkthrough (Making a Deadmau5 Head – Walkthrough | Robert Darwin). It would be great if I could get confirmation on this as I'll be starting on my head in the next week.

Thanks for sharing what info you have already. Between this and the walkthrough I linked, this should be a walk in the park!

Edit: This far I've only checked this out on my phone, when I couldn't see giz's sig. I just checked your flickr out and your v2.0 is extremely impressive. If you wouldn't mind, could you talk a bit about the eyes? I feel like a standard 6" dia globe is too 'short' and isn't 'round' enough on the head. Obviously the 6" looks just fine but I'm pretty picky and after seeing the eyes you've made, I'd love to hear how you got that shape. I'm not really concerned with the led lighting and whatnot, but if you're feeling generous, you can always tap that on as well. ;)

Edit 2: In case no one has seen, deadmau5 just posted some detailed pictures of his LED head for his current tour on facebook.

Last edited:
Joel posted these shots of his LED helmet. So awesome! He called it v1.0.... I'm hoping that implies another is on the way

64662_440155326805_9980651805_5690013_5430144_n.jpg

58088_440155426805_9980651805_5690014_1988370_n.jpg

58088_440155431805_9980651805_5690015_998303_n.jpg

58088_440155436805_9980651805_5690016_7495952_n.jpg

58088_440155441805_9980651805_5690017_775279_n.jpg

58088_440155446805_9980651805_5690018_4714806_n.jpg

58088_440155451805_9980651805_5690019_190050_n.jpg

Honestly, I joined the forum just to ask this same question haha. I'm 99% sure that spidermanc is using some form of spandex while fourleaf is using a stretchy velvet as suggested in Robert Darwin's walkthrough (Making a Deadmau5 Head – Walkthrough | Robert Darwin). It would be great if I could get confirmation on this as I'll be starting on my head in the next week.

Thanks for sharing what info you have already. Between this and the walkthrough I linked, this should be a walk in the park!

Edit: This far I've only checked this out on my phone, when I couldn't see giz's sig. I just checked your flickr out and your v2.0 is extremely impressive. If you wouldn't mind, could you talk a bit about the eyes? I feel like a standard 6" dia globe is too 'short' and isn't 'round' enough on the head. Obviously the 6" looks just fine but I'm pretty picky and after seeing the eyes you've made, I'd love to hear how you got that shape. I'm not really concerned with the led lighting and whatnot, but if you're feeling generous, you can always tap that on as well. ;)

Thanks for the compliment. For me, the eyes were one of the hardest pieces to source. I also think it's one part that few people replicate correctly.

For a 14" diameter head, the eyes are 4.5" half-spheres. This means they are 2.25" tall.

Edit 2: In case no one has seen, deadmau5 just posted some detailed pictures of his LED head for his current tour on facebook.

I joined because of this thread too :) its coming up quite high on google!

I have already sourced the material. It's a 2 way stretch velvet that your after. (Link here for UK site).

Also for the eyes, I have got something called polymorph. It's basically a load of plastic pellets which you drop into warm water and you can then mould any shape with it. It then goes solid when it cools down. I got mine from Maplin. I havent made them yet but I will let you all know how they come out.

Hope this helps!

I joined because of this thread too :) its coming up quite high on google!

I have already sourced the material. It's a 2 way stretch velvet that your after. (Link here for UK site).

Also for the eyes, I have got something called polymorph. It's basically a load of plastic pellets which you drop into warm water and you can then mould any shape with it. It then goes solid when it cools down. I got mine from Maplin. I havent made them yet but I will let you all know how they come out.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the link for fabric! I've never dealt with fabric before, and am just now realizing how many different types of velvet there are, not to mention the number of fabrics in general. I had checked out some stretch velvet at the local fabric superstore, but it was "crushed stretch velvet". The "crush" gave it a non-uniform color (darker and lighter spots) due to the light reflections and didn't look exactly how I had planned. I'll try sourcing a US site for those of us on the other side of the pond.

Thanks for the tips, though. :thumbsup

looks great ! how did you attach the ears ?

The head and ears are made out of fiberglass, so I was able to use a more industrial means of keeping the ears attached. Instead of glueing them, I wanted them to be removable. Basically it's a long steel thread rod that is inside the ears, goes through the head, and is fastened inside the helmet. I wouldn't recommend trying how I've done it unless you have a durable head and ears though.. foam ears and a paper mache ball will not work.

Hey SpiderManc

What exactly you are using for the eyes?

Alex

BTW
sorry for all the noobish questions Bro lol

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back