Deadmau5 Head

mdf for my prototype. I plan to build several more - they will be cast plastic like the eye brackets.

Nice.. I think I am just going to use some dense foam and cover it in polyurethane to help it stay firm.

Here's the start to his head..

Forming the under layer of the sphere:

CIMG0076-1.jpg

Fiberglassed; the first layer was kind of sloppy so I sanded it down and I'm going to do a final layer tomorrow when I fiberglass the ears:

CIMG0082.jpg

Still not sure how I'm going to do the mouth just right. I need to find some good material.

Heres the ball after cutting the bottom and applying its final coat of finish:

CIMG0085.jpg

I'm extremely happy with the results; especially since this was my first experience with fiberglass. It turned out to be a uniform sphere while keeping a very solid structure but still smooth just like I wanted.

Here's a dry run I did before I started fiberglassing the ears. Everything was just laying on so it's not quite accurate. I plan to work on the eyes and see if I can't get a better shape.

CIMG0096.jpg

That's looking fantastic! Can't wait to see it all put together.

What color were you thinking of making it?

-Nick

That's looking fantastic! Can't wait to see it all put together.

What color were you thinking of making it?

-Nick

Thanks! I'm going to do this one in red. It'd been a fun build, so I might experiment with blue\purple next time.

Anybody have advice on wiring up some LEDs to the eyes?

Alright, guys. I've got a few updates for you all.

Finished fiberglassing the ears, and started working on the mechanics of how they will mount to the head. Then I worked on sewing the pieces of fabric to cover the head. Everyone has gone about glueing fabric to their replica's.. nonono. I've done a lot of looking and found that there are only 3 seems on the real mask:

deadmau5-2.jpg

1. One around the side of the right ear.
2. One around the side of the left ear
3. Finally, one that starts at the corner of the mouth and runs around the back of the head to the other corner.

The only way to accomplish this, which I have, is to sew the pieces.

Enjoy the pics:

CIMG0098.jpg

CIMG0099.jpg

CIMG0101.jpg

CIMG0103.jpg

CIMG0104.jpg

CIMG0100.jpg

What's gonna happen in that last picture you see is still to come. I've got to drill the holes for the ears first, so I have to take the fabric off again before I can do that. But then I'm going to start cutting, stretching, and attaching the fabric to the inside.

The ears are really neat; they will be completely sturdy but are able to be put on and taken off at will. This will make it easy to ship, and store. However, if you chose to permanently attach them, all you have to use is Loctite thread-locker on the threads, and epoxy the bottom of the ears to the head.

What did you do for the eyes? Did you make them yourself or buy them? I can't seem to find any place that has a globe or half-sphere with a diameter of 3-4".

That is looking fantastic!

I found your thread after much googling about mau5heads. I plan on starting a build using the sme technique as yourself. I was wondering if you'd be able to post the measurements you used for the ears or possibly a template? It would be extremely helpful. Any other tips you have would be great.

Thanks!

I was wondering what kind of fiberglass you used? Was it the resin with the cloth/mat you cut? Or was it the resin that already had those little bits in it already. Im curious because you have a very smooth finish.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back