Mass Effect 2 N7 Armor Builds

Day 21: Got all the strapping for the upper legs finished and installed on Male and Female.

dsc01883a.jpg

dsc01888a.jpg

Totally redoing my Samara back and shoulder peices from this stuff if I can :) Fibreglass just does not cut it for floating armour like this ;) Already redoing the collar from latex.

Smoking hot :D

Speaking of which ;) have you noticed a difference in heat retention with this? I mean compared to other kinds of armour such as vacformed styrene, or sintra or fibreglass? I can see massive safety improvement with this (even being smacked by a random kid should still be okay but I really mean in case of falls, reduction of pinching and blisters etc).
I coordinate and judge a cosplay contest here and am always wanting to try out new techniques that I can pass on in panels to help the contestants and fellow costume geeks :)

Totally redoing my Samara back and shoulder peices from this stuff if I can :) Fibreglass just does not cut it for floating armour like this ;) Already redoing the collar from latex.

Smoking hot :D

Speaking of which ;) have you noticed a difference in heat retention with this? I mean compared to other kinds of armour such as vacformed styrene, or sintra or fibreglass? I can see massive safety improvement with this (even being smacked by a random kid should still be okay but I really mean in case of falls, reduction of pinching and blisters etc).
I coordinate and judge a cosplay contest here and am always wanting to try out new techniques that I can pass on in panels to help the contestants and fellow costume geeks :)

I gave up using fiberglass and resins for armor over a decade ago. I got tired of all the pinching, binding, weight issues, fumes, etc, etc. So many reasons why I prefer "alternate" materials from what many consider to be the accepted norm. Hot Glue armor (like my Guyvers) and this foam are far superior IMO in many ways. Much more comfortable, lightweight, flexible and just the speed at which one can construct items out of them is simply amazing. I suspect I should be close to finished with BOTH suits in about 30 days total time. Not to mention they are dirt cheap.

I honestly don't expect this armor to hold up as well or last anywhere near as long as my Hot glue suits (Guyver 1 is about 10 years old now with HEAVY usage and never had to do anything to it but paint touch ups) But for the cost and time put in to it I'll be happy if these holds up to one weekend of heavy drinking at Dragon Con. (so needless to say it WILL be subject to extreme durability testing, :lol) The designs of the N7 are really pretty basic and segmented just as real armor would/should be so it really doesn't have any high stress areas that could cause any ripping, tearing or wear of the pieces.

There could be a heat issue depending on what your making as you're basically wearing layers of foam insulation on you. However I don't expect that wearing this will be any hotter than any of my other suits. I'm not making any helmets to go with these so that alone will make them so much nicer to wear for long periods of time. I also plan to seal the inner side of the foam to make sure that it doesn't absorb any sweat. Its closed cell foam so it wont soak up water like a sponge, but it can retain some moisture over time if not sealed. (not to mention the possible stink factor)

As far as impacts go, this is very much a real lightweight armor. Its pretty much the same foam that is used as inserts in most sports type armor.

my partner has taken one look at this thread and told me he will pay what ever you want for a set of that armour! I practically had to wipe the drool off the keyboard when he saw it!

seriously he wants a set and admits he has no building ability whats so ever lol

INCREDIBLE work!! Seriously impressive talent there! ME2 is one of my fave games at the moment and this looks spot on! Can't wait to see more!

Wow, really blown away with your work. The foam material lends itself well to the flexable Mass Effect armor.

The texture of the main body of the armor; did you create that yourself or did you find foam with that fabric texture already pressed into it?

The texture of the main body of the armor; did you create that yourself or did you find foam with that fabric texture already pressed into it?

The texture is already on the foam, one of the reasons I decided to use it for the build, it was perfect.

-------

Working on small detail junk right now, like belt loops and finger armor :rolleyes no major updates worth posting yet. Going hunting tomorrow for the right boots and gloves to use, so with any luck I can get those parts finished tomorrow night.

Getting really close to paint time,... which makes me happy.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back