Tron Legacy Costume

Hi everyone,

I came across this article while searching for TRON: Legacy stuff:

Tron Legacy: Light Suit Costume | Clothes on Film

Pretty interesting stuff!

Apparently, it's the first of a two-part article. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.

I figured since so many followers of this thread are trying to build TRON: Legacy costumes, it would be interesting to read how they REALLY did it! ;)

Yes!! Awesome and very interesting article and thanks so much for posting it.

LEDs should have known. Well, I am still going with the El Wire and making look like a solid strip ;) way cheaper route.

Yes!! Awesome and very interesting article and thanks so much for posting it.

LEDs should have known. Well, I am still going with the El Wire and making look like a solid strip ;) way cheaper route.

I personally think that EL wire is the best way to go for a reproduction. It's flexible, cheap, bright, easy to use and in the worst case scenario of shortage, replaceable.

EL tape looks amazing from what I've seen but I have no soldering skills and no where near the amount of funds to buy enough to experiment with. And if that flexes too much and shorts, I would cry. xD

LED light strips seem to be pretty cheap too but there's definitely the issue of diffusing it enough to make it seem solid. At least with the EL wire, it's a straight line of light. I'd be concerned with diffusing the LED enough to not notice all the dots. Who knows, I may try that too considering how cheap it is on Ebay...oh, but the other thing I'm not sure of with LED strips is how bulky they would be... I know LEDs are pretty tiny... but the EL wire is very, very slim and smooth instead of a series of bumps. Again, I guess that would come down to how you install it in the suit to blend it.

I'm very happy with the EL wire i received though... nice and bright, even in lit rooms! Can't wait to get a move on with my costume. >_<

Ive been reading this forum but I finally registered for the site...

P1060848-1.jpg

I didnt have time to wire up my costume because on Monday my fiance decided she wanted me to make her a Quorra costume...

I think they look pretty good with just the 3m reflective tape.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

And oh yeah...two costumes for just over $100 (counting the el wire not yet used).

Do you have any pics of the costumes in a well lit (perhaps outdoors) environment?

They look nice in the dark of course. :)

Russ

Do you have any pics of the costumes in a well lit (perhaps outdoors) environment?

They look nice in the dark of course. :)

Russ

I think the reflective tape looks good, at least it'll tie you over until you can figure out a lit costume :)

Being a big guy, I think I'm going the Kevin Flynn route.

Anyone have any reference images of him in his black outfit? Trying to decide between that one and the white one. The black seems to have lighting involved in the sleeves and the neck area when you look at the new trailer.

New trailer link:
YouTube - TRON: LEGACY Official Trailer # 3

1080p hi-res
http://wdmp-wdsmp.rd.llnw.net/wdsmp/TRON/Trailer3/Tron_Tr3_1080.mov

Adds some significant new material.

LOVE the new trailer!!!

Anybody been using shoe glue for flexible bonding of EVA foam on their costumes, I have been but find it very messy :S

New trailer rocks!!!
Boots question... Any tips on modifying some military style boots to fit the look of the costume? I'm not sure I'll be able to get proper boots for the premier.

Trailer #3 really does inspire some hope for this film and the genre as a whole. To think, 3D!!!

On a continued construction note, I finally gave in and just bought 15ft of Aqua High Brite EL Wire (9-1 ft, 2-3ft, all prewired with quick connects), a number of quick connect splitters (offering 12 ports), and a 12v Sound Activated Driver unit.

This setup will allow me to put 1ft of cable under each arm plate as well as to line the underside of my brand new helmet, then place 3ft of cable into the breast plates of the armor.

Seems now my only real question is how to get 12v of power out of 1.2v recharger AA batteries (since I hate the non-green feeling of regular 1.5v AA throw away batteries). Unless I am mistaken, I can wire an 8 slot battery holder to the driver, as well as a 4 slot battery holder spliced into the same leads and just put two 'dud battery inserts' to allow the holders to have a total of 10 1.2v batteries, thus giving me 12v at 2500mah cap.

I wonder how fast these drivers eat mah from such sources. Pics in a few days of a fully wired and 'TRON-inspired' battle/warlok suit. This build will include a cyan MHS Lightsaber (these I build often for others) as a sword version of one of the new Program Batons.

I was wondering if anyone in So Cal had a vacuum form or access to one?

I've got my Daft Punk Thomas Helmet modeled and into the fiberglass stage and I started modeling the hand plates. Only down side is I don't have a vacuum table to make the finished pieces :(

Hey I am looking at finally painting up the armored pieces of my el cheapo tron legacy outfit, I am wondering what sort of magnets to attach ID disc to the back I should use, I need the strong enough to not fall off with normal movement but not too strong as I can't get it off :S, any suggestions?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back