Tron Legacy Costume

Anyone going to attempt to build a Quorra Helmet?

I was planning to, but not for the premier. I think the best way is to pepakura, but I am a noob in that area. I can can 3d model, but haven't done organic shapes. I think the best way is to slice it in layers in 2 dimensions and then surface it with triangles (via sandbox tool in sketchup). Export to google earth and import to pepakura. After tons of work, gut a digital camera for the heads-up display.

For the premier, I've got this going:

I'm still waiting for the El lighting, but I'm concerned that any applied lighting would look "surface applied"
I may have to cut the shell to recess the el wire.

:cool:cool:cool

HOW Do I get full size pics i seem to only get thumbnails ????

Got a trick to for inside the helmet im doing for my Helmet let me know if your up for if.

Attachments

• QuorraHelmet.jpg
    QuorraHelmet.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
I was planning to, but not for the premier. I think the best way is to pepakura, but I am a noob in that area. I can can 3d model, but haven't done organic shapes. I think the best way is to slice it in layers in 2 dimensions and then surface it with triangles (via sandbox tool in sketchup). Export to google earth and import to pepakura. After tons of work, gut a digital camera for the heads-up display.

For the premier, I've got this going:

I'm still waiting for the El lighting, but I'm concerned that any applied lighting would look "surface applied"
I may have to cut the shell to recess the el wire.

Wow.. that's a great helm for the Tron:L-ish style.

I was going with this basic (cheapo) helm with some black reflective tape wrapped about to look a bit Tron1 styled:
!Bz3J2jw!Wk~$(KGrHqV,!jMEw49Y4ppkBM(0+SPspw~~_35.JPG

it was in the sane price range, has some kewl vents on the rear/top, and the face plate look allows me to use it for things other than just a Tron suit. It will have a mirrored visor:
!B)y8rs!Bmk~$(KGrHqEOKiUEwO!3cv6)BMP!rIPyk!~~_35.JPG

Yeah, it's not 'true Tron:L', but I am doing my take on what they used to call, back in the Technomancer days of RPing, a TekLok (Techno Warlok). :love

One of the main reasons for this open faced helm was to allow for the use of this as well during big blacklight fun:
1267911097179-206460172.jpeg

(though mine will be black with light blue tanks and central buttons/LEDs, to match the EL Wire glow and I might just mount the mask perm to the helm and make it a full face unit, with a twist)

Last edited:
ins.jpg

Okay guys I made this mock set up to better explain the process I used.

1. Draw the Pattern onto a transparency, notice the doted is the part that will be cut and the solid line is the actual part that will light up.
2.The part facing down will be the one that you will diffuse in the end with masking tape. The part facing up will have the el wire taped to it.
3. close up of the wire being taped to the transparency, also notice that I placed the wire right on the outside of the solid line, I did tis so that when you diffuse it, it will not show up as a hot spot.
4.Cut the transparency.
5.Poster board line up.
6.Tape the poster board to the transparency, the poster board will pretty much sandwich the EL wire to the transparency.
7.My Index finger is pointing at the part where you will tape with maskin tape, to diffuse the light from the EL WIRE.

Well thats is it, I hope this is a better explanation.
:)

So you don't use reflective tape, you use poster board under instead, isn't it?

But don't you lose some brightness?
I actually did tested with reflective tape and the results where the same, I even used aluminum foil and again I saw no difference. I even used a mirror but that gave me even less of a reflection.

I actually did tested with reflective tape and the results where the same, I even used aluminum foil and again I saw no difference. I even used a mirror but that gave me even less of a reflection.

yeesh... i have the 2.5mm wire too and i can't imagine mine looking as bright as yours... maybe it's the inverter i have... what are you using? ( sorry, you probably posted this somewhere and i've just forgotten! >< )

I'd love to see some close up shots of the highlighted bands, both on and off, to see just how you have them mounted to the suit and what the particulars of the 'edge' of the band is. Also, about how many feet of EL Wire do you have runnng over that particular costume? Thanks for the info and great, great work. :thumbsup

Dear Fellow Programs, On SPIKE TV This Saturday nite. There will be a new Trailer for TRON LEGACY. Some new footage. It will include a shot of Clu's robe from the front.
Sorry no shots of Clu's army. So if you can record some footage & post that would be helpful. This trailer will be on during the wrestling program. To thank all of you for the fine ideas for TRON Legacy outfits. Here's a little present from me. TRON LEGACY Act I.
When Sam Flynn was a little boy, his dad, Kevin, told him a story every night before he went back to the office. Kevin didn't work the night shift. He owned a software company, ENCOM,and he worked there... a lot.
Sam loved his father's stories because they were almost always about TRON, the hero of the popular video game his dad had invented.
"The Grid is the digital frontier," Kevin would tell Sam. "Add quantum paring, biodigital teleportation, enfoldment, and they have the power to change everything...."
Hold up, Dad, Sam would think. I'm only seven!
Even though Sam wasn't quite old enough to understand everything his dad said, he loved the stories anyway and would always try to follow along.
"I imagined what it would look like inside the computer," Kevin would say to his son. "I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. Then one day-"
"You got in..." his dad would echo.
Sam understood this part of the story.His dad had actually gotten into a computer. He'd played the games from the inside.
"The world behind the computer screen was more beautiful and more dangerous than I ever imagined," His father would explain. "But with the help of a Brave warrior named TRON, I took down the evil Master Control Program. Then I got back out."
The story always ended there. Except for one important night...
"I tried to forget the digital world," Kevin told Sam. "But I couldn't let go. I kept tinkering, and one day I got inside again."
Sam got excited. This part of the story was new!
"It was my world, my creation." Kevin said. "But I needed help to build a new system, so I created a program that could think. Like me. Like you. I named it Codified Likeness Utility-or Clu for short. But then something unexpected happened. A miracle!"
His father didn't continue. Sam asked his dad to stay home that night. Sam wanted to hear more of the story. But Kevin shook his head.
" I have to go, Sam," his dad said. "we've got to see how the story ends, right?"
Sam nodded, but his eyes were filled with disappointment. trying to cheer him up. Kevin threw Sam a quarter. "Let's go and take a trip to the arcade first thing in the morning."
"Can we play doubles on the same team?" Sam Asked.
"We're always on the same team,kiddo," Kevin said before stepping out of the bedroom. They were always in it together.
But that wasn't true.
That night. Kevin Flynn disappeared....
To be continued... Fellow Programs!

Last edited:
Great post, nannar!

For those of you who aren't aware, that's the Prologue from TRON: The Junior Novel. Here's a link to it at Amazon if anyone is interested in purchasing it:

Amazon.com: Tron the Junior Novel (Disney Tron Legacy) (9781423131533): Alice Alfonsi: Books

Even though it's geared toward children, it's still a great read! But it does contain many spoilers, obviously, since it's based on the new movie. But I will tell you this: You have to see the movie to know how the story ends... ;)

I can't wait for this movie! I'm so excited! LOL! :D

looks good ED on the right track. also think you can juice these up to 18V bet more power I do seems to work. for some do you glue or sew it on id think sew be stronger.:unsure

This is the inverter I have:
3V 2AA battery inverter
108592934_o.jpg

For the torso section I used two 7 foot EL Wires.

Hmm.. that's what I get for wanting a Sound Driver, I have to crank out 12v of power. I wonder how many mAh per hour 15ft of wire eats on one of these sound drivers. Guess I have to wait for it to arrive.

In case anyone here had the same question, I am posting this here from a PM convo I had with Eddie...

Now I noticed when you 1st posted on here, you have the el wire looped around on the transparency. So basically your wire has doubled for just one strip.

I measured about 20 feet for my Quorra costume. BUT if I have to double it the way you have done that means I will need 40 feet.

Do you think I can achieve the same look as you got if I just run one strand of wire down the middle of my transparency drawing? In otherwords instead of going outside the lines you drew on your transparency, can I just put the wire down the center then put the masking tape on top of that? It might produce a hot spot with just one El Wire line going down the center right? Hmmmm I guess I will just try this out tomorrow to see for myself. Just wondering what you thought.

Basically, I am trying to save myself from having to purchase 40 feet of wire ;) I am buying one continuous piece and soldering everything myself to where I need it to the back box as pictured on Quorra's lower back. Perfect place to hide my inverter and batteries.

I am going to re post this on the forum because I was going to ask this there anyway for everyone to see.

Thanks for your help!
~Annissë

From Eddie:

One wire would work fine also, you will get a bit of a hot spot but not anything that will look bad I did it for the legs and it worked fine, I made the comment on the hot spot issue since I was running two wires and wanted to make sure if someone wanted to have two wires that they did not line them up right next to each other, that would create a big hot spot. I suggest you try to keep the wire right in the middle, you will get a little bit of a brighter shine if you run it that way but it will not look bad, just make sure you keep the wire straight, this way the light will look even.

Important doc. About el wire...

Just wanted to post a heads up about LYTEC vs. Imitation El Wire.

This is a great document explaining the differences between LYTEC El Wire and Imitation El Wire.

Be sure whatever store you order your El Wire from, write them and ask if they sell LYTEC wire, you do not want imitation El Wire for the reasons described in this PDF.

Cool Neon sells LYTEC wire. I knew there was a reason I always went back to them over the years for my El Wire projects. I haven't worked with El Wire in so long, I completely forgot about the importance of choosing LYTEC El Wire.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/light...imitations.pdf

Re: Important doc. About el wire...

Just wanted to post a heads up about LYTEC vs. Imitation El Wire.

This is a great document explaining the differences between LYTEC El Wire and Imitation El Wire.

Be sure whatever store you order your El Wire from, write them and ask if they sell LYTEC wire, you do not want imitation El Wire for the reasons described in this PDF.

Cool Neon sells LYTEC wire. I knew there was a reason I always went back to them over the years for my El Wire projects. I haven't worked with El Wire in so long, I completely forgot about the importance of choosing LYTEC El Wire.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/light...imitations.pdf

Good to know! Great Article Annisse!!

I can attest for Coolight: CooLight.com - Lowest pricing on Electroluminescent Wire and Inverters

Also a LYTEC dealer and VERY easy to deal with. 3 days and I had my wire.

Great post, nannar!

For those of you who aren't aware, that's the Prologue from TRON: The Junior Novel. Here's a link to it at Amazon if anyone is interested in purchasing it:

Amazon.com: Tron the Junior Novel (Disney Tron Legacy) (9781423131533): Alice Alfonsi: Books

Even though it's geared toward children, it's still a great read! But it does contain many spoilers, obviously, since it's based on the new movie. But I will tell you this: You have to see the movie to know how the story ends... ;)

I can't wait for this movie! I'm so excited! LOL! :D
The book is very close to the Script. But I have the ending. The book has some missing dialogue also. Otherwise enjoy!:)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back