The Crow Reboot

Seeing as this thread started over 3 years ago, I think we're pretty safe this isn't happening. At least this time...

According to IMDB it's in the pre-production stage and Luke Evans has been signed to play Eric Draven.

Honestly this is one movie I don't mind a reboot. The original was a great movie but there wasn't really anything they could do with the story after Lee died. The sequels were just a bad idea and were poorly made.

I don't consider it sacrilegious for them to remake it, people die but the world goes on. However if I were them I would make the new movie closer to the comics to put a little separation between the original movie and the new one.

crow+t+robot.jpg

They can remake it as many times as they want, but I seriously doubt they'll be able to top one of the most beautifully gripping scenes in the history of cinema:

When T-bird realizes what's going on... and Graeme Revell's soundtrack kicks in... still gives me shivers no matter how often I see it. Odd thing is that most of it was shot with a stand-in.

I thought they made a good attempt with the flawed second film... and Iggy Pop is in number two or three (can't remember which) and that's kinda funny... but no, the followups can't touch the first one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really not looking forward to this remake.. I agree with joatrash, that was the best scene of the movie.. Brandon Lee played it perfectly, and none of the follow ups cane close to it.. Only thing that did, was the TV Series, with Mark Dacascos.. He is a dead ringer for Brandon Lee..

Re: The Crow... Yep...

Jason Momoa's super cool and all, but I don't like this casting decision.
He's way too buff for the Crow. Brandon Lee had the perfect physique for the part.
But, I guess it could be worse...
Could have been Melissa McCarthy or Rebel Wilson....

Well, since you brought it up...I'd pay good money to see Lesley Jones in that role. That would actually be funny as hell.

I hope at least they use the comics as their source material for this one and not just the movies.
I need a Crow movie with a Cure soundtrack and an Eric Draven with shell casings tied in his Daniel Ash hairdo.
Heck, throw some Bauhaus and Siouxsie Sioux into the mix to shake it up some.
I liked the first Crow film, but the soundtrack was all wrong. Needs to be late '70s -early '80s goth, not contemporary rock for the kiddies.

Re: The Crow... Yep...

No. Just no. I like Jason Momoa, but he is NOT a good choice here. He just doesn't have this kind of range.

To be fair, I think Momoa is a pretty underrated actor. And, if you'd seen him in anything else, there is NO WAY you'd have thought that Brandon Lee could've played a role with such pathos. I mean, Rapid Fire and Showdown in Little Tokyo didn't exactly require Oscar-caliber acting, and he sure didn't exhibit any in those films.

I'd rather they just leave The Crow alone. It was a perfect time capsule of the era in which it was made and though it deviated from the original source material in many ways, it stayed true to the tone of the graphic novel. I have always been a big fan of them both. The sequels do not exist in my opinion and were just cheap attempts to recapture the magic of the first and make a quick cash grab.

Knowing Hollywood, they are not smart. They will keep making the same mistake even when they lose exorbitant amounts of money by making direct to DVD sequels and lousy TV shows. If the property ever gets out of development hell, what they SHOULD do is make a properly animated movie, made to look just like the graphic novel and basically make an animated version of the comic with all of the music and literary references that were hidden in it. James O'Barr infused his story with so much intellect that only served the story and it would be great to see a version of the movie where those notes were included in it. And I agree whole heartedly about setting the story in the 80's with the proper music that influenced O'Barr.

No. Just no. I like Jason Momoa, but he is NOT a good choice here. He just doesn't have this kind of range.
The same could've been said of Brandon Lee. Before The Crow, he was mainly in horrendously cheesy action movies with lots of Kung Fu. The Crow was supposed to be his big break. I agree that JM is a bit too buff (and tan, haha) for the part, even though Draven sports pretty huge muscles in a few panels of the comic, but maybe he'll do a Christian Bale and tone his body down a bit. He's a much better choice than either Evans, Harington or (yikes!) Cooper. Also, if you look at his expression in that Instagram photo, his smile and eyes are not dissimilar to the look Brandon had. So while I'm not really enthused about a remake at all, I'm willing to give Momoa the benefit of the doubt for the time being. I think it's more down to the production, whether it will work or not. If they try to make it a teen-oriented action movie or something, it's going to be horrible.

I hope at least they use the comics as their source material for this one and not just the movies.
I need a Crow movie with a Cure soundtrack and an Eric Draven with shell casings tied in his Daniel Ash hairdo.
Heck, throw some Bauhaus and Siouxsie Sioux into the mix to shake it up some.
I liked the first Crow film, but the soundtrack was all wrong. Needs to be late '70s -early '80s goth, not contemporary rock for the kiddies.

Eh? That soundtrack was not all all contemporary or for the kids. The closest it got was RAtM and maybe Stone Temple Pilots. It did also have a bit of Goth and post-punk in there. The Cure, NiN's cover of Dead Souls, ***** & Mary Chain, Violent Femmes, Medicine... and so on.

I'm sure that I read early on that the reboot will stick much closer to the comic, being one of the main reasons O'Barr wants to do it.

though it deviated from the original source material in many ways, it stayed true to the tone of the graphic novel.
As I recall, they actually filmed all the Dead Gunslinger scenes from the graphic novel, but they felt that including them in the movie after Lee's death would make it feel less serious and dark.(I kind of agree. The film as it was didn't need him and it would have cheapened it.)

I agree with their exclusion. I think the theatrical cut was perfect as it is. It would just be interesting to see what it would look like if it was a super faithful adaptation of the graphic novel.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back