Screen used c3po pictures new!!!!!

I was told the eyes were made by a separate company in Borehamwood.

Apparently that C3PO is going up for auction soon.

Joe

You lucky gits... I'd pretty much kill to get a look around Elstree. .. (anyone try breaking into the Big Brother house?? :lol )

The facial details on that 3PO look softer than I'd have expected, I guess that's tricks of the light for ya, and can you remember if the mouth was solid or cut out? It looks solid to me from the photos, but if so how on earth did Anthony Daniels breath in it?? :)

Thanks for sharing.

Jeremy

choke.cough. cough. up for auction you say??? :confused
Please tell me your not joking.

<div class='quotetop'>(The Dark Side @ Jun 18 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]1263857[/snapback]</div>

Joe
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(The Dark Side @ Jun 19 2006, 06:58 AM) [snapback]1263857[/snapback]</div>

Joe
[/b]

That would be Norman Harrison, the guy in the pictures.

They where made from hifi turntable balance weights, he did tell me the make sorry I forgot that bit. :rolleyes

it makes sense that Norman machined the eyes...since he's a machinist :)

Which of the Star Wars films did he say the C3PO head was from?

Wow, interesting C-3PO head. There were chrome protocol droids in Phantom Menace (TC-14), ESB ("Echuta.") and ANH (U-3PO). Wonder which one this is?

I've been wondering about this one.. It's a very interesting item but I'm not sure how long Anthony Daniels could have survived in there without an open mouth slot to breath through.

A very good point that I was told recently was that it could have been a test head, I think they went through quite a bit of R&D getting the costume right, so perhaps it's more a pre-production item rather than screen used? (willing to be proven wrong.)

Jeremy

Yeah and those flaws on the lightsaber.
Please..
If that POS had made it into the movie, it would have ruined the whole thing.
Scary.

<ok, what flaw again?>

<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ Jun 24 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]1267180[/snapback]</div>
Great pics. thanks for sharing.

Just food for thought - why would they have bothered plating the inside of the helmet when there is no need to?

Cheers Chris.
[/b]

I think that's just because pieces that are vac mettalised are suspended in the machine's chamber during the process which means every exposed surface can't help but get covered. They just didn't bother masking off the inside coz it didn't matter.

Jeremy

Sounds like they used a plating process similar to chroming where the piece gets dipped. That would explain it being plated thruout.

<div class='quotetop'>(gonk27 @ Jun 24 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]1267182[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ Jun 24 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]1267180[/snapback]

Just food for thought - why would they have bothered plating the inside of the helmet when there is no need to?

Cheers Chris.
[/b]

I think that's just because pieces that are vac mettalised are suspended in the machine's chamber during the process which means every exposed surface can't help but get covered. They just didn't bother masking off the inside coz it didn't matter.

Jeremy
[/b][/quote]

Hi Jeremy,

I was half joking when I wrote about the food for thought why was the inside plated but they really didn't need to plate the inside if they didn't want to.

I worked on evaporators and sputter tools for a fair few years and the way the material is deposited onto a surface is very much a controlled directional process. This has been plated on both sides intentionally possibly just to make sure that all the surfaces are covered like through the eye sockets and around the edges maybe it was to get a full coating to stop peeling at exposed areas as well. It has maybe been in an evaporator that has the ability to rotate the pieces during processing to get an even distribution of metal all over the entire piece. If they had only wanted one surface done the could easily have done that. The prime example of this is road sign mirrors for seeing round corners and compact discs that get the same type of vacuum process.

It may have been dipped but I wouldn't have thought so but on the other hand I wouldn't put a bet on it not being dipped without solid information.

Possibly this is a question for the Elstree guys about how they plated it.

You can see inside the faceplate at the bottom were the deposition is not on the helmet that is were it has been held. I can't see clearly on the cap piece.

Anyway vacuum metalising isn't quite as clumsy and random as a blaster :p

Cheers Chris.

<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ Jun 24 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]1267228[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(gonk27 @ Jun 24 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]1267182[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ Jun 24 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]1267180[/snapback]

Cheers Chris.
[/b]

Jeremy
[/b][/quote]

Hi Jeremy,

I was half joking when I wrote about the food for thought why was the inside plated but they really didn't need to plate the inside if they didn't want to.

I worked on evaporators and sputter tools for a fair few years and the way the material is deposited onto a surface is very much a controlled directional process. This has been plated on both sides intentionally possibly just to make sure that all the surfaces are covered like through the eye sockets and around the edges maybe it was to get a full coating to stop peeling at exposed areas as well. It has maybe been in an evaporator that has the ability to rotate the pieces during processing to get an even distribution of metal all over the entire piece. If they had only wanted one surface done the could easily have done that. The prime example of this is road sign mirrors for seeing round corners and compact discs that get the same type of vacuum process.

It may have been dipped but I wouldn't have thought so but on the other hand I wouldn't put a bet on it not being dipped without solid information.

Possibly this is a question for the Elstree guys about how they plated it.

You can see inside the faceplate at the bottom were the deposition is not on the helmet that is were it has been held. I can't see clearly on the cap piece.

Anyway vacuum metalising isn't quite as clumsy and random as a blaster :p

Cheers Chris.
[/b][/quote]

Aha, I see. Sounds like you certainly know your stuff Chris :)

Myself, I'm not very knowledgeable about these sort of things, (well not on this planet anyway.)

Jeremy

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back