Prop Store

Screen used c3po pictures new!!!!!

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by jimbobond, Jun 18, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jimbobond

jimbobond New Member

I was lucky to do a troop at Elstree last week and not only did we get to see the c3p0 mask and lukes ROTJ saber but get hands on tooo...... Tklee was awestruck and scousetrooper couldn't help but try it on.
    We also got to meet the maker I never knew the eyes where turntable balance weights, I'm not a c3po expert so go on tell me you all knew :cry

Oh the lenses are being held in with blue tack (not screen used)

Heres a few of the many pics that where taken they have all been resized but if interested I have very large full rez ones.

Heres a selection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It wouldn't fit over TKLee's beard so scouse trooper gets into camp mode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tonyrb (TK300) plans an escape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. frosty

frosty Sr Member

great pics, did you get a chance to check out 'weird and wonderfull', they have some cool props too

3. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Cool. :thumbsup

4. xeno

xeno Well-Known Member

yup deff want the high res ones :)
    please mail to

the eyes are in backwards :lol

the eye in the hand pic looks like a new made eye, just like
    the ones Russreplica makes.

Xeno

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  5. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for sharing those great Pics..

How far were you from the gate when you were handling 3-PO? :p

6. jimbobond

jimbobond New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(xeno @ Jun 18 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]1263527[/snapback]</div>
    Even though he was the maker he can't get everything right :lol

I too thought they looked new he told me they where turntable weights the glass did sparkle a little.

If I knew anything about c3po I would have been asking good questions but I'm afraid i was a bit awestruck :)

7. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

8. jimbobond

jimbobond New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(apollo @ Jun 18 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]1263529[/snapback]</div>
    I couldn't beleive it when they brought it in we was just left to play with it? the guys at elstree heritage where great it was a shame we didn't get chance to see the other props :cry

For those in the UK I would like to call this picture of scouse trooper Calm down. Calm down. for the rest of the world scouse trooper gets into character.

[​IMG]

oh and TKLee looks a right minger
    [​IMG]

9. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

10. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Great pics, looks like a wonderful experience.

11. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Do you mean Norman Harrison (who's in the photos) made the C3PO eyes, or the whole head?

Liz Moore sculpted C3PO in 1976 with modifications/refinements made by Brian Muir. The suit itself would have been completed by the fiberglass workers. Norman Harrison is a machinist who did the sabers for ROTJ.

12. hunky_artist

hunky_artist Well-Known Member

lol @ 'calm down. calm down. ....eh? eh. eh? ... calm down.'

13. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

:lol

or it's possible he worked on the C3PO for ROTJ? just curious....

14. rebel scum

rebel scum New Member

Great pics.

Calm down....nice one ..lol :lol

Chris

15. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

16. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Sure hope it was joke putting the eyes in backward.

17. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Anakin Starkiller @ Jun 18 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]1263659[/snapback]</div>

Great 3PO pics, but I'll have to second the request for Luke saber pics.

Ethan
    ethanwilliams@yahoo.com

18. jimbobond

jimbobond New Member

Regarding being the maker you could be right about the eyes as that is what he talked most about, there where a lot of us there and very hectic and times that by me not being very knowledgeable on c3po I wouldn't ask the right questions.
    If it was AT-AT or Vader well that would be a different matter :D

<div class='quotetop'>(Anakin Starkiller @ Jun 18 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]1263659[/snapback]</div>
    The luke saber was not screen used but was one of a few made by Norman but rejected due to an imperfection, but as we where told it is the same as the others made.
    I have put a red arrow to indicate the imperfection.

Here we go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Great pics...thanks for those...and the saber pics as well...Great stuff.

20. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

neat pics.
    -Goldenrod

21. JoeR

JoeR Sr Member

I was told the eyes were made by a separate company in Borehamwood.

Apparently that C3PO is going up for auction soon.

Joe

22. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

You lucky gits... I'd pretty much kill to get a look around Elstree. .. (anyone try breaking into the Big Brother house?? :lol )

The facial details on that 3PO look softer than I'd have expected, I guess that's tricks of the light for ya, and can you remember if the mouth was solid or cut out? It looks solid to me from the photos, but if so how on earth did Anthony Daniels breath in it?? :)

Thanks for sharing.

Jeremy

23. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

choke.cough. cough. up for auction you say??? :confused
    Please tell me your not joking.

<div class='quotetop'>(The Dark Side @ Jun 18 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]1263857[/snapback]</div>

24. jimbobond

jimbobond New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(The Dark Side @ Jun 19 2006, 06:58 AM) [snapback]1263857[/snapback]</div>
    That would be Norman Harrison, the guy in the pictures.

They where made from hifi turntable balance weights, he did tell me the make sorry I forgot that bit. :rolleyes

25. JoeR

JoeR Sr Member

It's going to be through one of the big auction houses like Christies so Nick told me...

Joe

26. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Great pics, thanks for sharing. :)

27. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

it makes sense that Norman machined the eyes...since he's a machinist :)

Which of the Star Wars films did he say the C3PO head was from?

28. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Great pics , thanks for sharing :thumbsup

29. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks alot for the pics. Much apreciated.

So who do I have to kill to get into Elstree and play with their props. :)

Dan
    DDStokes@aol.com

30. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

Wow, interesting C-3PO head. There were chrome protocol droids in Phantom Menace (TC-14), ESB ("Echuta.") and ANH (U-3PO). Wonder which one this is?

31. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

I've been wondering about this one.. It's a very interesting item but I'm not sure how long Anthony Daniels could have survived in there without an open mouth slot to breath through.

A very good point that I was told recently was that it could have been a test head, I think they went through quite a bit of R&D getting the costume right, so perhaps it's more a pre-production item rather than screen used? (willing to be proven wrong.)

Jeremy

32. Brewtal

Brewtal New Member

Great pics, I'm cringing just of the thought that someone would have endured wearing that every day for a couple months.

33. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

Yeah and those flaws on the lightsaber.
    Please..
    If that POS had made it into the movie, it would have ruined the whole thing.
    Scary.

<ok, what flaw again?>

34. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Excellent pics Baden - looks like you had a great day

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Jez

35. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Great pics. thanks for sharing.

Just food for thought - why would they have bothered plating the inside of the helmet when there is no need to?

Cheers Chris.

36. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ Jun 24 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]1267180[/snapback]</div>

I think that's just because pieces that are vac mettalised are suspended in the machine's chamber during the process which means every exposed surface can't help but get covered. They just didn't bother masking off the inside coz it didn't matter.

Jeremy

37. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

Sounds like they used a plating process similar to chroming where the piece gets dipped. That would explain it being plated thruout.

38. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(gonk27 @ Jun 24 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]1267182[/snapback]</div>

I think that's just because pieces that are vac mettalised are suspended in the machine's chamber during the process which means every exposed surface can't help but get covered. They just didn't bother masking off the inside coz it didn't matter.

Jeremy
    [/b][/quote]

Hi Jeremy,

I was half joking when I wrote about the food for thought why was the inside plated but they really didn't need to plate the inside if they didn't want to.

I worked on evaporators and sputter tools for a fair few years and the way the material is deposited onto a surface is very much a controlled directional process. This has been plated on both sides intentionally possibly just to make sure that all the surfaces are covered like through the eye sockets and around the edges maybe it was to get a full coating to stop peeling at exposed areas as well. It has maybe been in an evaporator that has the ability to rotate the pieces during processing to get an even distribution of metal all over the entire piece. If they had only wanted one surface done the could easily have done that. The prime example of this is road sign mirrors for seeing round corners and compact discs that get the same type of vacuum process.

It may have been dipped but I wouldn't have thought so but on the other hand I wouldn't put a bet on it not being dipped without solid information.

Possibly this is a question for the Elstree guys about how they plated it.

You can see inside the faceplate at the bottom were the deposition is not on the helmet that is were it has been held. I can't see clearly on the cap piece.

Anyway vacuum metalising isn't quite as clumsy and random as a blaster :p

Cheers Chris.

39. Jedi_Rainman

Jedi_Rainman Well-Known Member

That rejected Luke is pretty neat. I have never seen or heard of that one before.

40. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ Jun 24 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]1267228[/snapback]</div>

Jeremy
    [/b][/quote]

Hi Jeremy,

I was half joking when I wrote about the food for thought why was the inside plated but they really didn't need to plate the inside if they didn't want to.

I worked on evaporators and sputter tools for a fair few years and the way the material is deposited onto a surface is very much a controlled directional process. This has been plated on both sides intentionally possibly just to make sure that all the surfaces are covered like through the eye sockets and around the edges maybe it was to get a full coating to stop peeling at exposed areas as well. It has maybe been in an evaporator that has the ability to rotate the pieces during processing to get an even distribution of metal all over the entire piece. If they had only wanted one surface done the could easily have done that. The prime example of this is road sign mirrors for seeing round corners and compact discs that get the same type of vacuum process.

It may have been dipped but I wouldn't have thought so but on the other hand I wouldn't put a bet on it not being dipped without solid information.

Possibly this is a question for the Elstree guys about how they plated it.

You can see inside the faceplate at the bottom were the deposition is not on the helmet that is were it has been held. I can't see clearly on the cap piece.

Anyway vacuum metalising isn't quite as clumsy and random as a blaster :p

Cheers Chris.
    [/b][/quote]

Aha, I see. Sounds like you certainly know your stuff Chris :)

Myself, I'm not very knowledgeable about these sort of things, (well not on this planet anyway.)

Jeremy

41. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

It' s up for auction now:
    [​IMG]

Too rich for my blood. :p

Bill

42. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Ya, I saw that. I've confirmed that it is not original.

43. bigbaddaddyvader

bigbaddaddyvader Well-Known Member

For anyone who may be interested this Luke ROTJ replica was handmade by Norman using the original blueprints and the saber pictured earlier in the thread as a guide.Also made on the original workbench.I know it's a replica but it's still pretty cool:
    [attachmentid=11397]
    I believe the R2 dome in the next Profiles auction also comes from Elstree.

44. idroid

idroid New Member

I'm amazed to see that you guys have a direct rapport with Norman Harrison. Is there anyway that someone could liaison a question to Norman about possible authentication (or possibly other Elstree staff) of the vacuum form?

Christopher

45. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

You could try their ebay ID: "e11e" or maybe they have email contact on their website.... www.estreeprops.com I'm sure they could help out.

46. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

Yea, that protocol droid head is DEFINITELY NOT screen used from ANH.

Some poor sap won't know any better.

47. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ Dec 2 2006, 05:47 AM) [snapback]1369951[/snapback]</div>

Can someone elaborate as to why it's not original?

48. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

Well, right off, the "wings" that hang down at the neckbolts flare out alot, and the angle of the neckbolts going in is not correct for ANH. Next, there is a bit too much gap on the sides where the front and back halves fit together, much like the Vos and Zorg heads... if I could see larger, clearer pics and of the insides I am sure I could list alot more things that were off...

49. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Here ya go, Ghosthost ;)

It looks like the head they bought off Ebay this year...

[​IMG]

Comparisons against screenshots...

Ebay head...

[​IMG]

Their head...

[​IMG]

Against the head they are claiming in the auction...the one seen on the landspeeder is this one:

[​IMG]

Here are some problems I saw with it:

[​IMG]

50. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, we know that the dented faceplate went back to the States after production due to its appearance in post-production publicity photos and public appearances (such as the footprint ceremony at the Chinese theater). Thus it likely stayed with ILM. This would not contradict the story given in the ad, though. It does seem plausible that if ILM were to send a helmet to a vendor, it would send a "damaged" one that the production would be unlikely to reuse.

However, that simply proves that they chose the wrong ANH stills for their ad, not that it isn't an ANH head.

Since we have recently learned that the forehead bolt is simply press fit, it isn't unreasonable that it might not sit properly after 30 years. It's also possible it and the neck bolts aren't original anyway, for they would not be needed for the color-matching purposes in their story.

I don't see what you're referring to in the other parts of the photos.

Mind ya, I'm not saying it IS an ANH helmet, (and I'm not yet completely confident in these "Elstree" folks), but I don't yet see proof that it isn't.