Sinbad the comedian, not the Sailor

DarkHelmet

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just caught his act on comedy central and I haven't laughed that hard at a comedian in a long, long time. In fact, I laughed so hard, my stomach and my cheeks hurt.

I've often wondered what happened to him. He was top of the world in the late 80's, into the 90's then poof.

To me, he was the last of the great generation of comics. I'll catch some of newer ones now, and it's the same old stuff. Punchlines and topics are embarrassingly predictable.

Sinbad's act was based entirely on life, not race. I connected with almost everything he said, just like Bill Cosby.

Going to Amazon to see if he has any CD's.

I just caught his act on comedy central and I haven't laughed that hard at a comedian in a long, long time. In fact, I laughed so hard, my stomach and my cheeks hurt.

I've often wondered what happened to him. He was top of the world in the late 80's, into the 90's then poof.

To me, he was the last of the great generation of comics. I'll catch some of newer ones now, and it's the same old stuff. Punchlines and topics are embarrassingly predictable.

Sinbad's act was based entirely on life, not race. I connected with almost everything he said, just like Bill Cosby.

Going to Amazon to see if he has any CD's.

aww man.... i missed this. I hope the dvd gets released soon

In 1992 or so, I was at MacWorld in a a seminar for some new software. In the middle of the deal the projectors broke down. Turns out Sinbad was in the room. He stood up and entertained the room for about half an hour. He was hilarious and a really friendly guy. Been a favorite ever since.

According to Wiki
In 2009, Sinbad was placed in the top 10 of the 250 worst tax debtors for the state of California. The Comedian owed the State 2.5 million dollars in personal tax income.[18]

On December 11th 2009, Sinbad filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.[19][20]

On February 5, 2010, it was reported that Sinbad has put up his 2.5 acre hilltop home in order to alleviate his tax burdens

My wife and I saw Sinbad perform live several years ago and really enjoyed it. Though much of his humor was based on personal experience and/or point of view, he found a way to make it accessible/relatable to almost everyone in attendance regardless of age, sex, or background.

^^I think that's an excellent description of it.

I only caught the last 20 minutes, but it was great. LOVED the bit about telling the 17 year old (and all the teens out there) that none of the acts of today will be around to see in 30 years and that he had a band onhand to show them what real instruments actually look like. Flat LOVED that. Moreseo because it's true as opposed to funny :)

Oh, and the DVD is supposed to be out tomorrow according to the blurbs at the end.

The wife and I saw Sinbad back in the early 90's. He came to the University of North Alabama, a small college in Florence. You would have thought that he wrote his entire set just for us. He was great.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back