Y-Wing Building

I just realized I never posted my Y-Wing pics from the current tour. Recalling that underside pics were rare, I got this nice, clear image:
DSCN1372.jpg

More in this gallery of all my pics from the exhibition (Y-Wing is on page 6):
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/Treadwell_Jay/SW exhibit/?start=100

Here is another one I just found. Which one do you guys like better?

Definitely the new Republic (ie Clone Wars) version. The others just look like Y-Wings with no greeblies. Boring. Sure there may be a lot of empty space inside the cowling like I've heard some people complain about, but as far as I'm concerned, it's there to make it more aerodynamic in atmospheric battle (which we saw plenty of in the clone wars movie).

I prefer the first.
But the second is probably more realistic because I cant see how all the pipes and greeblies could be under the armor panels !

Yeah but the pipings ? I cant believe they added them later and they dont fit inside the armor panels !

It doesn't really matter what happened to "real" Y Wings, as if they really existed. I think that at least the first one (that picture is from Incredible Cross-Sections) looks pretty cool. I'd just like to see it next to a Y Wing of the type we are used to - sort of a before/after, new/old.

I don't like the second one as much, but if it's going to be in the Clone Wars, then it becomes an "official" Y Wing.

Here is another one I just found. Which one do you guys like better?

LOLOL..funny you brought that up...

I am having Matt Meyer (Max Zephyr) build 4 of the Republic Y's currently in 1/24 scale. Two of them will be from the Clone War era, and two will be from the ANH era flown by Rebel pilots, beat up, missing panels, and rusted out. ;)

Take a look at that build here...

http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=3622

Kurt, those are awesome. Thanks for posting!

Fellas, I have to say I've been somewhat disappointed in the RPF lately. SOME people know everything or almost everything about the Y Wing, but WE haven't finished research on this thing... and this thread is barely hanging on. No one posts anymore. There is still research that we can do.

I need help with the Y Wing head section. I need to make drawings and 3D models of it for my Studio Scale Y and my 1:48 Y. If someone has the Master Replicas Y, or the unnamed kit of it, please post some measurements. I will make digital drawings and 3D models of it and post them here for everyone. There is a little I can do for this, as I have all of the pieces that go on the back of it. I can get the angle of the Nichimo Jagdtiger hull front, which will help a little.

And, I think we should make parts maps like was done for the 32" Falcon. We are not done here! We should keep going until all or almost all parts are identified, like what happened in the X Wing thread. TIE Bomber too, and others...

I will post what I have, but it will take me time to compile it all. Anyone who has a MR Y can help - it's not perfect, but it's something. We can iron out difficulties as we go.

WHAT DO YOU SAY???

Kurt, those are awesome. Thanks for posting!

Fellas, I have to say I've been somewhat disappointed in the RPF lately. SOME people know everything or almost everything about the Y Wing, but WE haven't finished research on this thing... and this thread is barely hanging on. No one posts anymore. There is still research that we can do.

I need help with the Y Wing head section. I need to make drawings and 3D models of it for my Studio Scale Y and my 1:48 Y. If someone has the Master Replicas Y, or the unnamed kit of it, please post some measurements. I will make digital drawings and 3D models of it and post them here for everyone. There is a little I can do for this, as I have all of the pieces that go on the back of it. I can get the angle of the Nichimo Jagdtiger hull front, which will help a little.

And, I think we should make parts maps like was done for the 32" Falcon. We are not done here! We should keep going until all or almost all parts are identified, like what happened in the X Wing thread. TIE Bomber too, and others...

I will post what I have, but it will take me time to compile it all. Anyone who has a MR Y can help - it's not perfect, but it's something. We can iron out difficulties as we go.

WHAT DO YOU SAY???

Been trying this for 10 years....:lol I'm down to a handfull of parts, I only seem to find 1 or 2 a year anymore.

The MR Y is idealized in that it was based on the red Y and that not all the parts were found (scratchbuilt) to finish the model.

Been trying this for 10 years....:lol I'm down to a handfull of parts, I only seem to find 1 or 2 a year anymore.

The MR Y is idealized in that it was based on the red Y and that not all the parts were found (scratchbuilt) to finish the model.

Yes, but the MR is something... better than nothing. Correct me if I am wrong though, Jamie, but you seem to know a lot of info you aren't sharing. A lot of us know a lot less than just being off by a couple of parts.

I will offer this to you, though - unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure - I've looked at the underside neck part and I am STILL not convinced it is a single piece. I have identified several parts there - everything minus the rounded portion with what look to be straps on it. Well, almost everything I think. With the kind of kits you see, if this is a single piece, it has to be extremely obscure. I've noted to someone that it looks kinda like a Greyhound or M20 Chassis. But, even if it is a single piece, I don't see what would be so hard about scratchbuilding it.

The point is that this was supposed to be a group collaboration. Those people "in the know" have their reasons for not sharing info - not sure what this reason is. I thought this thread died down long ago - and it did, but a group of people gathered in another place and found most of the pieces, not letting the rest of us know. But I want to know, just like others do, even if that means doing the research myself. But I don't think I can do it alone. I am a college student. I don't have the kind of money needed to buy all the kits and look through them all. I have to resort to more cunning methods, but I still end up empty handed a lot of the time.

You offered to let us know the unknown parts if we helped you find the neck piece. But, I don't think the rest of us combined, if I am not the only one left here, have the kind of resources you do. If you can't find it, then we surely can't find it! You wanted us to focus on that, but how can we when we have nothing to go on? No leads or anything... I have no clue what that thing even might be from.

So, rather than sitting idle for years, I would rather find the rest of the parts so I can finish my Y. Like I said, how easy would that piece be to scratchbuild? I am not the least bit concerned with what it might take away from my model not having that ONE piece.

Following that piece is too much to ask. It's a lost cause. That is, if it even exists. I am not trying to start a bickering match, but I wish you would be more willing to help us out, given how obscure this piece you need is. That said, though, you don't have to. That is solely up to you.

For everyone else, though, we are not going to get any closer if we don't put some effort into finding parts that are worth it and within the realm of probability. A good place to start is the Bandai 1:48 line. I got a Hetzer for my TIE and it is a goldmine for that model. Given what we've seen from those kits, it is WORTH buying them up and posting when/if we find anything. Oh, and the PzKpfw IV D is also a TIE kit. There are a lot of other kits from that line we've seen nothing on yet - 8 Rad, 88mm Gun Flak, etc...

Fujimi kits that are re-issues of Nitto Kagaku kits - another good place. The ANH Star Destroyer has a few Fujimi kits on it.

Like I said, I will post what I have - what I know, and what leads I can give. But it will take me time.

Jamie, I can only hope you will pitch in, but I never said you HAVE to do anything. What have you got to lose anyway?

I am of the opinion that as long as there is anything that needs to be identified, or of question... then research should never cease. :)

I applaud all who contribute to such team ventures! :D

Keep it going fellas! :D

I am of the opinion that as long as there is anything that needs to be identified, or of question... then research should never cease. :)

I applaud all who contribute to such team ventures! :D

Keep it going fellas! :D

Kurt,

I checked the Republic Y Wing thread over at Resin Illuminati and you had mentioned that Matt got a hold of some better reference. Would it be too much to ask him if he would share? I want to build some of these as well - Studio Scale and 1:48.

Thanks!

Kurt,

I checked the Republic Y Wing thread over at Resin Illuminati and you had mentioned that Matt got a hold of some better reference. Would it be too much to ask him if he would share? I want to build some of these as well - Studio Scale and 1:48.

Thanks!

Absolutely my friend! The reference actually came from a book that Lucas just put out for the Clone Wars. There are about 5 really good photos of the Republic Y-Wing from every angle in there. I will ask him today. I am certain he will post what he has on the RI in that thread. ;)

Absolutely my friend! The reference actually came from a book that Lucas just put out for the Clone Wars. There are about 5 really good photos of the Republic Y-Wing from every angle in there. I will ask him today. I am certain he will post what he has on the RI in that thread. ;)

Would this be from the Visual Guide? If so, I can pick it up and scan the photos...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back