Star Wars Pepakura helmet build ( Scout Trooper )

W Crow

I'm working on a pepakura scout trooper helmet and am using this thread to post my progress. I will be updating regularly. Comments are welcomed especially from anyone whose worked on similar projects.

Below are some pictures of what I've built so far.
IMG_20180729_144735.jpgIMG_20180729_144719.jpgIMG_20180729_144818.jpg

Awesome, I'll be watching this thread with interest. I started working on a Bo Katan pepakura costume for my sis, have to get back to working on that one sometime. I will also have a Sith acolyte inspired pep armor coming soon. May I ask, do you just use the regular fiberglass resin and bondo to harden and smooth the helmet, or do you use a different product? I am currently looking for a less toxic solution than fiber glass resin and bondo.

I would be very interested in seeing how your bo katan and sith acolyte armor turns out. I'm a huge fan of mandalorian style armor.
my preferred method is fiberglass resin and bondo since those are more readily available to me, but a respirator and open air are an absolute must if you plan on using those.
Not being familiar with any less toxic methods i can't recommend anything else, i know they exist I've just never worked with them.

Awesome! If you really don't want to use fiberglass resin you could use Aqua resin or polyurethane resin instead. You really cant use anything in the place of bondo though.

P.S.
What paper stock did you use, i started with Astrobright blue 65 lb and switched to Index blue 110 lb.

Finished the first coat of fiberglass resin!
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Next step will be separating the front face mask from the rest of the helmet and laying down fiberglass cloth.

Update: Extended the rim of the main helmet and began fiber glassing the mask portion.
IMG_4322.jpgIMG_4324.jpg
Not sure how i'm going to fiber glass the visor around the mask.

Do you have a printable PDF for this helmet that you would be willing to share? I've been through about 4 different files and none of them were very accurate.. this looks great though! :$

Thanks,
Mike

Update: I made the mistake of trying to get all of the bondo work done in one day and ended up giving myself tennis elbow or something.
I'll be taking a break on building the helmet until my arm heals up.
Until then here's a few shots of the progress I've made so far.
IMG_20180803_172705.jpgIMG_20180803_172659.jpgIMG_20180803_172644.jpg

Update: I pretty much finished the first coat of bondo and i gotta say a little goes a long way.
I ended up having to sand down almost the entire first coat.
unnamed (2).jpgunnamed (1).jpgunnamed (3).jpgunnamed.jpg

Another quick update: I finally started seeing good results with the bondo today! This has definitely been a learning process but i'm finally getting a handle on bondo.
That being said i still have a fair amount of work to do on the back half of the helmet, and i still have the whole front of to do.
IMG_4372.jpgIMG_4371.jpgIMG_4369.jpgIMG_4370.jpgIMG_4368.jpg
I lined the inside of the helmet with FlexSeal (Which is basically truck bed liner in a rattle can) and tried out green modeler putty to fill in low spots. I think i'll switch to the Bondo spot putty since the modeler putty didn't stick very well.

Update (With a bunch of pictures!):
IMG_4381.jpgIMG_4375.jpgIMG_4376.jpgIMG_4377.jpgIMG_4378.jpgIMG_4379.jpgIMG_4380.jpg

I'm happy to announce iv'e finished the first coat of bondo and painted it in a primer/filler!

I still have some work to do on the back half of the helmet, namely fixing up the brow and smoothing out the areas around the ears. This being said I have decided to take this project in a different direction than initially intended. Originally my plan (after assembling the pep parts) was to fiberglass and paint the helmet then make a silicone mold that i could use to cast a resin helmet in.
I have decided not go in this direction.

Since the start of this build I have been referencing the 501st and the whitearmor.net on what materials and paint to use. During this i learned it would make more sense (both in terms of authenticity to the films and cost of materials) to make the finished helmet out of white abs. This means i will be using the helmet for vacuum forming rather than resin casting.

Before i can do this though i'll have to rework the face mask.
I assembled the front mask and visor without thought to adding fiberglass to the visors interior or how i might apply bondo to the visors inner edge. This means i will have to re-pep the face mask and visor as two separate pieces then add bondo and fiberglass.

TLDR: I will have to remake the front face mask since i goofed it up. But once the face mask is finished i will start working on vacuum forming the helmet (whose build will be on a separate thread)

Hey man, looks awesome so far! A nice added touch with the flip-up visor.
I'm also working on some armour right now. Can you please link to me where I can get the file for that helmet? It would be much appreciated.

Hey, really nice project!
Ah, bondo on a helmet. I know the struggles. I made a Boba Helmet out of card a couple years back. Sanding took ages. Something I found useful was using a large flat file to attack some of the higher points, and help with some of the initial shaping. low grit Sand paper cuts through it super well aswell. This is looking super nice already! Keep on that sanding grind :D

Hey guys, sorry its been a while since my last update. Got busy with school stuff and haven't had time for much else. For all who are interested below is a link to where i originally found the biker scout helmet I've been working on.

(The file is downloaded as a pdf and will need to be renamed to have a .pdo extension to work)
https://66target.jimdo.com/biker-scout/

i'll start regularly updating the thread again soon until then may the force be with you :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back