Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Apr 9, 2018, 4:55 PM - Re: Which Graflex is in Which Movie? #26

I've heard several times now that the roll on the end of the early Folmer bottom is thicker than the patent Folmer and that the roll on the ANH Toe pic more closely matches that of the patent Folmer. Can anyone with both Folmers confirm this? I only have a patent Folmer so can't do an accurate assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Apr 9, 2018, 5:09 PM - Re: Which Graflex is in Which Movie? #27

To be honest the tell of the lever pins has been around a bit longer ... now that said here are 4 of the flashguns sold to production for TFA (note the missing clamp-screw on all 4) :

Since I only received 1 picture of 1 of the bottom 3 Cells, I assumed
    all 4 were the same Manufactued by G R A F L E X Inc.

However to copy and quote scottjua : 'TFA/TLJ: I don't give enough of a crap about those movies to delve into the props in detail.'

Cha´m
    1 Week Ago  Sep 8, 2018, 1:59 PM - Re: Which Graflex is in Which Movie? #28

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    To be honest the tell of the lever pins has been around a bit longer ... now that said here are 4 of the flashguns sold to production for TFA (note the missing clamp-screw on all 4) :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...i.jpg~original

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...t.jpg~original

Since I only received 1 picture of 1 of the bottom 3 Cells, I assumed
    all 4 were the same Manufactued by G R A F L E X Inc.

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...a.jpg~original

However to copy and quote scottjua : 'TFA/TLJ: I don't give enough of a crap about those movies to delve into the props in detail.'

Cha´m
    So based on the toe pic, can we see which Graflex variation was used by looking at the brass pins or the red button?
    From
    Sydney, Australia
    1 Week Ago  Sep 11, 2018, 7:52 AM - Re: Which Graflex is in Which Movie? #29

Cha´m, were you involved/asked to comment during production of TFA?
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Sep 11, 2018, 10:46 AM - Re: Which Graflex is in Which Movie? #30

He helped connect people.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    1 Week Ago  Sep 12, 2018, 6:09 AM - Re: Which Graflex is in Which Movie? #31

As Roger Christian explained he bought a box full of flashguns ... I bet it contained both models we know, so which were used on screen in my opinion is still hard to tell ... photographers of that era also may have swapped parts to repair their flashguns ... so that makes it harder to conclude once and for all which version the Toe-Pic is. Personally I don't really care ... a vintage G R A F L E X is just that ... a vintage flashgun ready to be converted into Luke's lightsaber with the proper vintage greeblies

And no I was not involved in the actual production ... I was just kindly notified very early on when it became apparent that G R A F L E X flashguns were purchased by the production team.

Cha´m
    1 Week Ago  Sep 12, 2018, 3:19 PM - Re: Which Graflex is in Which Movie? #32

Yes very well said Chaim. I think why so many people are convinced that they used a Folmer Graflex for Luke ANH lightsaber is because of the other promo picture of Luke in black with Leia holding the prop out where you can see the glass eye pretty clearly. I'm not sure myself though. Any thoughts on that promo pic?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98c9cbbf7888b5db5f0442b213c1ca19.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	842508[ATTACH=
    Last edited by Tarkin; 1 Week Ago at 4:07 PM.
  8. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Sep 12, 2018, 4:21 PM - Re: Which Graflex is in Which Movie? #33

I agree with Sym-Cha; I also don’t spend any time worrying about this topic. Parts on these flashes are so interchangeable from tops, to clamps, to bottoms, to red buttons, to glass eyes—even the socket pins can be swapped out if you are so inclined.

I can say with 100% certainty that Roger Christian did not walk back into the camera shop, after finding the box of GRAFLEX flashes (and probably MPP flashes too) and say, “This is all well and good, but can we go through this box and pull out only those flashes that are 100% pure FOLMER flashes? Yes, yes, I know that all they all look the same to the camera, but I’m weird like that so please just bear with me. I also have a plan to use a screw on the d-rings that looks deceptively like rivets. Or maybe I will use a rivet? I just think it will drive what will be called ‘prop enthusiasts’ in the future crazy. Also, let’s be sure to set one of these flashes aside for me to keep locked away for 40 years or so to ‘rediscover’ and sell for a crazy amount of money. Again, I’m weird like that...”
    Last edited by ALLEY; 1 Week Ago at 5:08 PM.