X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

The figures in the Battle of Hoth and Rebel Base kits are 1/144.

The Rebel Base kit has Han, Chewie, Leia and Luke as well as R2 and C-3PO (although R2 is kind of a mess)

The Battle of Hoth kit you get some of those Radar Dish guns,some Tauntauns and some gun turrets in addition to more troops

The vehicles in the kits are garbage for the most part and not even close to scale with any of the figures. Although you do get a rebel transport in the Rebel Base kit

Here is the Bandai At-St with the figures from the kit and the F-Toys 1/144 speeders and the unbuilt Bandai speeder (which is just about identical in size to the Bandai 1/144 one)
The F-Toy speeder is nice because it has a clear smoked glass canopy (although no interior)

Thanks for the info, I may see if I can find one of those, probably discontinued long ago. Another thing I thought about...the wife might shoot me :lol
The figures in the Battle of Hoth and Rebel Base kits are 1/144.

The Rebel Base kit has Han, Chewie, Leia and Luke as well as R2 and C-3PO (although R2 is kind of a mess)

The Battle of Hoth kit you get some of those Radar Dish guns,some Tauntauns and some gun turrets in addition to more troops

The vehicles in the kits are garbage for the most part and not even close to scale with any of the figures. Although you do get a rebel transport in the Rebel Base kit

Here is the Bandai At-St with the figures from the kit and the F-Toys 1/144 speeders and the unbuilt Bandai speeder (which is just about identical in size to the Bandai 1/144 one)
The F-Toy speeder is nice because it has a clear smoked glass canopy (although no interior)

http://i.imgur.com/QATldyom.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/48D6B47m.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8nc7w1em.jpg

Well thanks Blakeh! I think I got it pretty close. I also think, in hind sight, that doing this in 1/144 would have been much easier and allow for a lot more stuff in a small space...I wonder if I'm too late to consider that? lighting the AT-AT I just finished wasn't too bad, a 1/144 Falcon wouldn't be too bad either...but an Xwing or anything else would be a huge challenge, but then sticking a pico LED in the cockpit should be simple and you wouldn't REALLY need to light the engines.... Hmm, I wonder if I should alter course?

Nooooo!!! .... , Or if you must consider a 1/144 diorama ... , then build both;)!

Hey Ross ,

Just a heads up in case you’re interested . I was on the ‘net today searching for stockists of photo etched mesh products and came across a U.K. based company that not only have what I’m after , but carry a range of figures and miscellaneous items you might be interested in at 1/72 , 1/76 scale ( as well as others ) .
They’re not Star Wars exactly , but with some careful mods and paint work I reckon they’ll look o.k.
i.e. pack of 32 ( unpainted plastic ) US airforce personnel and ground crew @6.60 ( pounds ) ? - not sure how much in US$ , or if it’s value for money !?

Anyhoo their websites at ; scalelink.co.uk - apologies for not linking directly , but I don’t know how ?.

:cheersGed

Last edited:
Sounds like what I'm looking for, good find Ged, thanks! :thumbsup and don't feel bad about pasting the link...I can't either! :lol
Hey Ross ,

Just a heads up in case you’re interested . I was on the ‘net today searching for stockists of photo etched mesh products and came across a U.K. based company that not only have what I’m after , but carry a range of figures and miscellaneous items you might be interested in at 1/72 , 1/76 scale ( as well as others ) .
They’re not Star Wars exactly , but with some careful mods and paint work I reckon they’ll look o.k.
i.e. pack of 32 ( unpainted plastic ) US airforce personnel and ground crew @6.60 ( pounds ) ? - not sure how much in US$ , or if it’s value for money !?

Anyhoo their websites at ; scalelink.co.uk - apologies for not linking directly , but I don’t know how ?.

echo base diorama.jpgfound this pic on the web, this is very impressive. I think I have just enough room in my space to get most of what is here...the center Xwing being right at the edge of the shelf. This will be the image I'm going to go by hear on out.

I googled echo base diorama and it was pretty close to the top. It does look like 1/48 due to the detail but who knows for sure. The falcon could be a Deago, or isn't there a big scale Hasbro or something out there? But yeah, looks nice huh
Wow, where is that from and what scale is it?

I am guessing it is 1/48 th

Yeah, the Hasbro "Rebels" Millennium Falcon is pretty much spot on for 1/48 scale. It is pretty adequate for what is is, but needs after market mandible side walls, cockpit interior and cone

The DiAgostini one is 1/43 (same scale as the old MPC X-Wings)

but a diorama in 1/48th is too large for me

1/44 scale fits more vehicles and a larger hangar in a smaller space, but figures detail and some of the smaller stuffs details are going to be a little lacking

I think 1/72 might be the perfect compromise between scale details and space needed. Small enough to squeeze in some vehicles, but large enough for cockpit details and figure details to matter

I agree, I seriously thought about switching horses on the scale, but I think I'm going to finish this one out in 1/72. Doing this in 1/48 or 1/43 is just way too big. I do have a MPC Xwing to park next to my DeAgo Falcon, whenever I get around to it. I'm going to get another snow and X for this project cause I think I can get it in there without it looking crowded. The challenge is the figures but I'm hoping those German mountain guys will do for the base troops and I asked Ultimate to give me a heads up when they have their 5 pilot set back in stock in case these other WW2 pilots won't work. I've got a Han and Chewy from the MPC cantina set and I think there are a few others in there I could use for something if I paint then right. Fun stuff!
Yeah, the Hasbro "Rebels" Millennium Falcon is pretty much spot on for 1/48 scale. It is pretty adequate for what is is, but needs after market mandible side walls, cockpit interior and cone

The DiAgostini one is 1/43 (same scale as the old MPC X-Wings)

but a diorama in 1/48th is too large for me

1/44 scale fits more vehicles and a larger hangar in a smaller space, but figures detail and some of the smaller stuffs details are going to be a little lacking

I think 1/72 might be the perfect compromise between scale details and space needed. Small enough to squeeze in some vehicles, but large enough for cockpit details and figure details to matter

Also you might consider the classic line (not the action fleet line) of MicroMachine figures as well

They are closer to 1/76 to 1/80 range, but in a busy diorama you wouldn't really notice anyway.

They have a set of Rebel pilots and Echo Base Rebel Soldiers as well as various hero sets which might be of some use. You can find them on E-Bay sometimes for decent prices or in lots

for example, below is a Fine Molds 1/72 Stormtrooper compared to a Micromachines Lando

Here are the Hoth Rebel Soldiers with the DiAgostini die cast speeder (which is about 1/70 to 1/72 scale) basically it is nearly identical in size to the resin 1/72 snowspeeder

xwingscaffold1.jpegxwingscaffold2.jpegxwingscaffold3.jpegxwingscaffold4.jpegxwingscaffold5.jpegxwingscaffold6.jpegok gentlemen, for what it's worth. I notice I still have some light bleed on my engine nozzles, easy fix. Anyway, I put a chip LED on each end under the catwalk, tought about going like the diorama pic I found on-line with the spots on each end but there is limited room under the walk to hide wires. So...now on to scratching up a troop transport cart and some other misc equipment. Had the day off today so I'm in hog heaven! :lol:thumbsup

That's really cool, I wonder if I hadn't out to just get another snow from DeAgo rather than one from the UK again...
Also you might consider the classic line (not the action fleet line) of MicroMachine figures as well

They are closer to 1/76 to 1/80 range, but in a busy diorama you wouldn't really notice anyway.

They have a set of Rebel pilots and Echo Base Rebel Soldiers as well as various hero sets which might be of some use. You can find them on E-Bay sometimes for decent prices or in lots

for example, below is a Fine Molds 1/72 Stormtrooper compared to a Micromachines Lando

http://i.imgur.com/QPRGotom.jpg

Here are the Hoth Rebel Soldiers with the DiAgostini die cast speeder (which is about 1/70 to 1/72 scale) basically it is nearly identical in size to the resin 1/72 snowspeeder

http://i.imgur.com/cGyTBaUm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5vLVASum.jpg

Well the resin one has a cockpit and interior and you can display the canopy open. Also it has the option to build it with the side panels removed like on some pic's of Luke's studio model

The DiAgostini one is all one piece for the body/canopy and has no interior even if you cut out the windows

They are close enough you could include them both. It just depends on what you want out of them

Ignore the paint. I have to revist it. I used AS-20, but I think the DiAgosotini is actually closer to the right color. The DiAgostini is untouched and that's how it comes

And here with a Bandai 1/72 pilot on the left, a pilot from the Micromachines set in the middle, and a Fine Molds one on the right

and the whole gang (sorry, a little blurry, but you get the idea. I can get try reshooting to get a crisper pic if you need to see finer details)

Hey Ross ,

The x-wing and gantry for your diorama is looking amazing ! , Loving the dedicated ‘ spotlights ‘ shining down onto the work area - reckon you could’ve added more along the catwalk and left the wiring ‘ exposed ‘ hanging , but tethered underneath . Adding to the realistic ‘ feel ‘ of an actual working environment , i.e. messy but functional - Rebel Style !

Regarding the light bleed on the engine nozzle , maybe you could use some of that ( with most of the bleed covered up ) to help explain why the craft is undergoing maintenance !?

Of course , this is just my $0:02 worth of living vicariously through your build every time I visit this thread !:lol- no offence intended !;) .
What you’ve been generously sharing is terrific and honestly appreciated .

p.s. How’re you planning to display the snowspeeder’s - considering they don’t come with landing gear ? , are you planning to scratch build some type of ski leg configuration , or , have them levitating with the aid of anti - gravity repulsion - ala hidden clear acrylic rods so they’re raised off the floor ?

Last edited:
Thanks Ged! much appreciated....I thought about some more lighting for the scaffold but haven't yet decided. I know we've all discussed this before, and it's true...where ever it's appropriate for light, let there be light!!
Offended?? by what? Not at all, I read your post twice, don't know what you're talking about. Besides, we're all friends here anyway, any criticism here is always constructive and helps us help each other be better. The snow speeders, right you are...acrylic rods for a slight hover. Being solid Resin though, lighting will be limited. I reckon to install a micro or pico LED in the cockpit to get a glow, but that's probably it. The dio will be far enough I the wall that no one will see that that's all there is anyway, so the Snow speeders will be relegated to light effect only. I'm thinking I have room for one additional X and possibly 2 more snows. Blakeh suggested the Deago 1/72 die cast, so I may go that route due to the not-so-great quality of the Retrokit.
Hey Ross ,

The x-wing and gantry for your diorama is looking amazing ! , Loving the dedicated ‘ spotlights ‘ shining down onto the work area - reckon you could’ve added more along the catwalk and left the wiring ‘ exposed ‘ hanging , but tethered underneath . Adding to the realistic ‘ feel ‘ of an actual working environment , i.e. messy but functional - Rebel Style !

Regarding the light bleed on the engine nozzle , maybe you could use some of that ( with most of the bleed covered up ) to help explain why the craft is undergoing maintenance !?

Of course , this is just my $0:02 worth of living vicariously through your build every time I visit this thread !:lol- no offence intended !;) .
What you’ve been generously sharing is terrific and honestly appreciated .

p.s. How’re you planning to display the snowspeeder’s - considering they don’t come with landing gear ? , are you planning to scratch build some type of ski leg configuration , or , have them levitating with the aid of anti - gravity repulsion - ala hidden clear acrylic rods so they’re raised off the floor ?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back