Classic BSG C.O.R.A. Build

bishopdonmiguel

When I was a child, the idea of an intelligent autopilot was pure fantasy and C.O.R.A. (Computer, Oral Response Activated) was, in my mind, the pinnacle of what the technology could be. Today's audiences would no doubt be less impressed but there was always something about this prop that called to me.

So here we go. Wish I had taken more build photos.

Reference photo...

bsg-sc-tlp-cora.jpg

The core element of the prop is a vintage audio spectrum analyzer called an Ivie IE-10A. In front of this was is a panel mounted in the Viper cockpit set that allowed the display to show through...

CORA02.jpg

CORA03.jpg

For the panel, I had to make guesses on the dimensions but since I had the Ivie in hand, the screen size was known. From that, everything else was a proportional value...

CORA01.jpg

I decided to integrate electronics into the build to support sound playback so a large project box was required. Not sure what material the production utilized for the front plate but I went with black ABS. Seemed a close match. I didn't like the smooth surface of the project box so I used a piece of grey ABS to simulate the cockpit interior.

Creating the front plate was relatively straightforward......

CORA04.jpg

CORA05.jpg

Next control switches... BUT something was missing. Hmmmm. Ah, blinky lights. Need to throw in some LEDs...

CORA06.jpg

Add some bogus codes with rub on transfers and our project box is ready to hold the Ivie...

CORA07.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
I did quite a bit of work with the electronics but failed to take any photos. Probably distracted with cursing.

Here are some beauty shots...

bsg-cora.jpg

bsg-cora-detail1.jpg

bsg-cora-detail2.jpg

bsg-cora-detail3.jpg

bsg-cora-detail4.jpg

bsg-cora-detail5.jpg

I also had the opportunity to share C.O.R.A. with some of the cast of Classic BSG at Con-tamination in St. Louis, MO. Getting signatures wasn't an option for this one... REQUIRED!

CORA08.jpg

And here's a little video showing off the sound and display. The project box acts somewhat like a bass enclosure so I'm getting really nice sound from the speakers...

[video]https://bionicmoonlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Introducing-CORA.mp4[/video]

"You're not Starbuck".

Excellent work. I saw this in real time in the late 70's. (yes, I'm that old) Love seeing this. Will have to try and track down the original series on DVD or something.

Another great build from you!

She was not my cup of tea to sassy, I would have jarred her chips so hard She never would have recovered! :lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back