My Coyle PKD Now with more Tomen

Chicken Head

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
New to the RPF, long time lurker. I'm mid-blaster and had to stop due to cold weather, since I can only paint outside. I'm pretty happy with the Pewter Black finish:

IMG_2039.JPGIMG_2044.JPGIMG_2035.JPGIMG_2036.JPGIMG_2037.JPGIMG_2038.JPG

Anyone have recommendations on black paint? I'm currently messing with auto color.

Last edited:
Re: My Coyle PKD

Might i inquire what product you used to blacken the pewter parts? I also have a Coyle kit and had limited success getting a finish that nice.

I sanded with 400, 600, 800, and 1000 grit paper. After that I started using this:

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/POLISH-WAD-NEVR-DULL-MAGIC/p/NLS19294

Handle with vinyl gloves only after that.

This goop was put on with both brush and wiping with a cloth:

https://jaxchemical.com/shop/jax-pewter-black/

Rinse and dry between coats. It stinks like hell--I'll use a respirator next time.

Rubbing with the cloth tends to even it out, keep applying till it is darker than you like.

Last, rub on a couple coats of this which will remove some:

https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-XTL-8004-Wax-Polish-65ml/dp/B003AJWN62

The barrel is aluminum (I think) so I used the Jax aluminum blackener.

DSC_0877.jpg

Finally had a a warm enough day to prime some parts. This is Auto Air-Color airbrushed. Can't say enough good things about it.

Man, I saw this on Facebook yesterday and I can't stress enough how nice this is coming out! Those parts look so smooth, they almost look like 3-d renders! Consider me subscribed!

Thanks for the kind words.

The paint is on. I tried to do mist coats, but got carried away. There is a bit of "tooth" to it now, but I'm not worried since there a bunch of clear coats to come. Still digging the Air Color. The primer is color matched and the paint is translucent:

http://autoaircolors.com/

3.jpg

Still smooth enough to reflect a bit of light. Added a bit of wear to the knobs, per the original. I think I'll try 2k urethane since it dries harder. Since the magazine on the prop is just the plastic one from the Steyr rifle, I left some scratches and put two coats of floor wax on it, calling it done:

2.jpg

I replaced the plastic tube from the kit with an aluminum one that I blackened to match the steel. Last, I'm test fitting some bits and gave them an extra coat of Renaissance wax:

1.jpg

Still worried about dropping and scratching stuff.

This build is looking fantastic, dude. Really love that you’ve kept the casting crisp while achieving a very nice finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That Mircoma, though! Woah.

veektohr is right, the lines look very sharp. You can already see how excellent this will look excellent when finished .

The Fauxcroma, LOL. The brushed steel three button ones are pretty cheap. I swear, if you put the batteries in in the wrong order you get 28 o'clock. It came without a back, so I glued on one that was too big.

Looks great nice finish. I am currently in the process of building a Coyle commissioned to me by a friend.

Great fun but boy it hasnt been without it’s issues! Got there in the end just finishing her off sanding, painting, bluing etc. and the electronics to do.

shiny!
FEC58A7D-5F9B-4780-BD35-0C5571135AE1.jpeg0E83F39D-4DF6-407A-8A44-0CD2A7B0963D.jpeg0C8673F1-6075-4E71-A4C6-0F6AC8E45939.jpeg0EF17866-B7F9-4215-9E38-971717D3242F.jpeg

Good stuff. I only got some of the Coyle's photo directions. Fun sorting through all the screws. Finally just bought a gauge to figure out sizes.

Good stuff. I only got some of the Coyle's photo directions. Fun sorting through all the screws. Finally just bought a gauge to figure out sizes.

You will need a 2mm to 2.2mm drill bit and 4/40 tap (hard to find the tap in the uk) for most of the holes!
watch out for snags in the metal, I had loads of trouble with the grip frame, hit a point on the metal and I broke about four drill bits! Had to fill with pewter and redrill slightly lower.
A55A2DB2-457E-4821-9A13-7106BD5D6FD8.jpeg
Surpised you haven’t fitted and fixed it all together before finishing it, that’s the best way really?
E14C9CE4-8EF2-4A94-B67E-8BDB89D00A5F.jpeg

Re: My Coyle PKD--Now with more Tomen

rpf3.jpg

Got this bit finished without damaging the paint. It works, just need to complete connection to the magazine well contacts. The more I looked at my receiver and barrel, the more unhappy I was with the finish. There seem to be some reactions on the surface (might have put the wax on too soon,) also the color was not as even as I would like. I stripped both of them and rather than polish the surface I tried light applications of 0000 steel wool between treatments.

rpf2.jpg

Here is the Coyle barrel (right,) treated with Jax Aluminum Blackener. Beside it is a steel Tomenosuke replacement barrel treated with BK Super Blue. Both got the steel wool treatment. The Coyle receiver did really well with Super Blue and some scrubbing. And yes, I got bored waiting for warm weather to clear coat outside and disassembled my Tomenosuke to strip it. Vinegar barely marred the finish. Mechanical stripping seemed like it would take forever. Rather than work hard I tried these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-511E-...rd_wg=dvhuZ&psc=1&refRID=K0CSA8ETK6ZYVCRP88BX

rpf1jpg.jpg

They don't last long, but they are effective. Best of all, they bring out the metallic sheen in the revolver frame and cylinder.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back