Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
At any rate, the escape pod came out of a hatch on the starboard side of the rear face of the aft landing-gear box. This might mean we've now finally actually seen some vague portion of the Falcon's engineering area in the aft half of the ship. It seemed there was a "magazine" of more than one pod, that feeds into the launch mechanism. Don't know if it's the only launch hatch, or if there's another one in the same spot portside.

@DarthLee, I had no problem prior to this with the notion that escape pods were stowed somewhere inside and ejected through the airlocks on the ends of the lateral docking arms, but that diagram is from one old school of thought that the entire structure detached as an escape pod -- despite the fact that the Falcon still had them when the Death Star tractored it in, looming there above the officer reporting that "several" of the escape pods had been jettisoned. There have been other people positing other locations/methods over the years, too. But now we've been shown, and it's not from the side(s) of the ship. So I'd ditch that diagram. ;)

--Jonah

At any rate, the escape pod came out of a hatch on the starboard side of the rear face of the aft landing-gear box. This might mean we've now finally actually seen some vague portion of the Falcon's engineering area in the aft half of the ship. It seemed there was a "magazine" of more than one pod, that feeds into the launch mechanism. Don't know if it's the only launch hatch, or if there's another one in the same spot portside.

@DarthLee, I had no problem prior to this with the notion that escape pods were stowed somewhere inside and ejected through the airlocks on the ends of the lateral docking arms, but that diagram is from one old school of thought that the entire structure detached as an escape pod -- despite the fact that the Falcon still had them when the Death Star tractored it in, looming there above the officer reporting that "several" of the escape pods had been jettisoned. There have been other people positing other locations/methods over the years, too. But now we've been shown, and it's not from the side(s) of the ship. So I'd ditch that diagram. ;)

--Jonah

I respect that.. it was just a very simple diagram for someone (no offence) who didn't know.. wasn't in the back and wasn't in the front.

If setting an abandoned cruiser to jump to lightspeed though an enemy ship can cause so much damage, what is stopping the Rebels from rigging up remote control capital ships and just jumping them through the Death Stars or other enemy Capital ships? I'm having a hard time accepting how easy this was, unless the Mega Star Destroyer in TLJ had it's shields down, it worked far to easily IMO. I'm afraid the writers might not have thought about the implications this creates.

I recommend the 2010 Millennium Falcon 3D Owner's Guide and the 2011 Hanes Guide. They're written by the same person and are the most recent and most comprehensive looks into the ship. While the escape pod design in TLJ is different from what's in the books, the general location looks right -- aft section, below the decking, with the launch port looking like it's to starboard (the hyperdrive motivator occupies the port side of that space).

While everything published prior to the Big Canon Reset of 2014 is "not canon until it is", the stuff bublished closer to the cutoff is less likely to be grotesquely wrong or drastically overwritten. I'm still not a fan of the off-center placement for the main hold (no attempt to even subtly fix the hasty redesign of the hero ship), or the fact that the five-pad landing gear arrangement is the only one mentioned and the longer ESB cockpit is the only one shown (like the three-pad landing gear, shallow-cockpit version we saw in ANH never happened). But overall, I do really like them. I've got the TLJ Visual Dictionary, and need to flip through the Incredible Cross-Sections book to see if it shows anything about this on the Falcon to updates what's been done before.

If setting an abandoned cruiser to jump to lightspeed though an enemy ship can cause so much damage, what is stopping the Rebels from rigging up remote control capital ships and just jumping them through the Death Stars or other enemy Capital ships? I'm having a hard time accepting how easy this was, unless the Mega Star Destroyer in TLJ had it's shields down, it worked far to easily IMO. I'm afraid the writers might not have thought about the implications this creates.

I think it's a combination of opposition ships/fleets usually having time to disable or destroy a ship before it could do that (Hux saw what was happening and tried to stop the Raddus, but not in time) and the fact that... Well, look what happened! It frikkin' broke space for a second. The risk of collateral damage or catastrophic damage to the entire local continuum might be great enough that no one would even think of doing such a thing unless everyone -- everyone -- was already going to die otherwise.

I'll have to see it again, but the design of the top face of the pod itself reminded me a lot of the detailing on the raised structures that run port/starboard on the top and bottom of the Falcon. If it does indeed match, I wonder if they toyed with the pod actually BEING part of one of those structures but decided against it (scaling being one big issue).

Last edited:
It just didn't feel like a cohesive movie, it felt like a bunch of clips mixed together. Not just bad editing but bad direction choices, some parts in scenes with Rey and Luke seem to have a different feel mid cut. It feels like you missed some of the conversation, like some distraction changed the feel or something.

Then, Who is Snoke? who cares get rid of him. (Darth Maul) Where does Rey come from? who cares she is a nobody. I could look over most of that but the way Luke went out... It felt meaningless the way it was presented. I get what he did, I understand what he went through took everything out of him but it could have been explained better or fleshed out better. Using the Skywalker light saber gave the "illusion" away- we just saw it destroyed, not to mention that he took time to get a shave and a haircut before going to the fight. If they had Luke whip out the green saber it would have been a bit more epic feeling. I get that Luke never wants to fight but even actually showing up and destroying equipment but not killing anyone would have been a nice touch. Like Kylo gets to see what a master can actually do, but no- it was phoned in.
I just feel empty, I came home and just went to bed. I am depressed.
At least TFA felt fun and exciting, though completely transparent as a "reboot" but I actually had fun watching it.
This movie was just frustrating, everyone just neglects to explain anything to each other in order to push the weak plot forward. Honestly, I have read better fan fiction than what is ending up in these movies.
Pretty sure this is the last core movie I will watch, I just don't care about Rey or anyone else anymore. It doesn't feel like it has enough feeling- its all robotic and the characters we all love from the OG movies are written poorly. The new characters seem to have more life but it does not feel like they have meaning/motivation.

I really REALLY want to like these movies, but it is hard. I know I am old and generations like different things but I still can't wrap my head around not liking star wars as much anymore.

Well I for one can't get enough of the best part of the movie and that's the Knight's of Ren .
I'm starting a cosplay fanclub toot sweet !

I'm gonna dress up as my favorite one you know that guy we know nothing about .
Who's your favorite ?
So hard to choose I know !

Also when Kylo talks to Rey about joining him he talks of ending the Jedi and the sith
Haven't the sith been gone for 30 years ,longer than Kylos been alive ? If smoke had NOTHING to do with the sith as everyone insists why even bring up an already dead sect ? Even if he was not I'm pretty sure Kylo thought he was training in at least some Sith practices .

#Sith4Life

So when Poe and Rose are about to be executed Plasma et al are all around. Then there's a big bang those two are knocked to the ground, where is everyone else... Ah enter through a door Pashma???!!! What is going on.
Jedi can now fly through space????!!!!
The more I think about this film the more I really now know I don't care how the saga ends - it probably won't due to the money spinning wheel - Ray 20 years on from now etc etc. For me it ended back in the 80's this stuff ain't Star Wars

I guess the best way to accept it is when Disney took over it became alternate reality Star Wars .
Actually when Greedo took that first shot at Han it might have been our first into it .

So shut up and hand over the money , and don't forget to by a Porge for Christmas

Funny... the way the camera was.. I thought it would have been 3PO
Me too.

If force ghosts can just summon lightning, why don't they just strike Kylo with lightning?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jedi dont use their power for attacking, right? But still a plot hole.

I can see how some would enjoy the film, but I am truly baffled that Disney executives watched the same film I did and said........"that was incredible, how 'bout we let him make three more".

Ten people saw that movie before release. One boss and nine people who didnt want to risk their jobs.

Just walked out of the theater.
I just feel sad.

Me too.

If force ghosts can just summon lightning, why don't they just strike Kylo with lightning?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The use of the force has been wildly inconsistent since 1977. You could say "Wait, why don't they just use the force to______?" for 20 hours straight if you watch every movie. It's never been logically applied, rather it's been dramatically applied.

Personally, I think that Luke died of the Lightsaber injuries that he "felt" when Kylo drove the Saber through him. Rey and Kylo had already established that they could feel something even though they were not physically in the same place as each other.
Strange that I didn't shed a tear when Luke vanished and his cloak drops to the ground. I was hoping that they wouldn't kill Luke off in this but when it actually happened, I should have been filled with much more emotion than I actually felt.

What caused Luke to kick the old bucket?

Strange that I didn't shed a tear when Luke vanished and his cloak drops to the ground. I was hoping that they wouldn't kill Luke off in this but when it actually happened, I should have been filled with much more emotion than I actually felt.

I felt nothing, just like when Han died. Those weren't the characters I watched in the original trilogy. Don't give me a lecture on "people change". This isn't reality, and that's what hooked most of us in the first place.

I certainly don't mind them using this as a weapon the way they did. (I wonder what happened to han's freighter in the TFA when he took off from inside)

What I didn't like was how A) it split up like lightening and cut all the the ships in the fleet in half, and B) simply severed the one side of the starship hyperbole. One would think that would cause an immediate chain reaction destroying the entire thing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just finished catching up with what’s been shared here , and don’t remember reading anything regarding J.J. Abrams and what he’s thought of the film - considering a lot of what he had laid down in TFA was completely ignored by Rian Johnson . Also taking into consideration that he’s directing Ep. IX , and things have dramatically changed story / plot wise from what he started to explore !

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back