Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Again this is just my opinion after knowing the plot for the past week and seeing it again last night. I enjoyed TFA and ranked it better than the the Prequels.

I have no problems with the new characters Rey/Kylo/Finn/Poe being used in the new films but when you stand back and look at the two films together, I don’t see how these two films bring anything new to the Star Wars Universe, lore and Canon. The overall story so far is just a remake of the Anakin Skywalker redemption story from the last six films. Do we really need to see that story retold in the exact same manner but just renaming characters and planets?

This film not only fails for the huge plot holes and WTF moments within it but also for its FAILURE of WHAT IT COULD/SHOULD HAVE BEEN.

Despite all the hype, the two new films at their core should have been a coherent story involving Luke because that is what Disney/Lucasfilm left us with at the end of TFA. (At least in the TFA, Han got a story that stayed consistent with his OT character and he died an emotional death that moved the story forward). I get it that Disney/Lucasfilm wants to pander to the new younger fans and really do not care about the OT or its original characters because they are too old, etc..., but they should still want to make a compelling coherent story despite all the hype and special effects. If they did not want to make a story which includes the OT characters, like Luke, then why hype the OT characters. Just look at all the marketing for TLJ. Its all about LUKE, LUKE, and more LUKE.

This is not the Luke story anyone was expecting nor was it the one that needed to be told. I thought Disney/Lucasfilm had a Star Wars Story committee that approved or disapproved the plots and stories of these characters starting with TFA. How did they pick this story for Luke? Seriously, no one had a better idea then Grouchy Old Jedi who runs away from his problems for 15 years? Seriously they had no other interesting or compelling story then this one? I mean think of all the possibilities they could have chosen and they chose one where Luke NEVER uses his lightsaber in battle? Really? Did anyone ever speak up? Who thought this was an AWESOME way for LUKE to end his Star Wars story after 40 plus years? Rian? WTF?

I mean if this was Rian’s sole idea and Lucasfilm totally backed him then Rian and Disney/Lucasfilm have run of of steam and have no new original thoughts and ideas worth telling. We, the fans, are just “pawns” in the game as we continue to fund these films and buy merchandise. Where can I buy a “Frozen Space Leia” figure? :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1

Your right... hype Luke..and before hype Han and Chewbacca. On commercials.. Trailers.. and especially cliff hanger at end if TFA.

Thats why I always thought, they should have just gone somewhere else from the beginning. Either many years in the future..orrrrrrr.... Knights of the Old Rebublic, Old Repiblic, Jedi Outcast. Many platforms if the ideas for new stuff is not in their means.

The prequels were made for the much younger crowd, and they sat well.. even with me.

Not attacking anyone here or any critic out there (as we are all SC-FI fans) but whoever said they LOVED Awaken.. and they LOVE Last Jedi..yet didnt care for Rouge One and disliked the Prequels.. well geezzz lueezz. Dont know what to say, other than we are no where near on the same page as far as movies go. And I guess Disney is right up your alley.;)

When will we begin to speak openly in other threads about the Millennium Falcon? RE: the new features of the ship (and the new TARDISy escape pod somehow in the same area as a landing gear)

When will we begin to speak openly in other threads about the Millennium Falcon? RE: the new features of the ship (and the new TARDISy escape pod somehow in the same area as a landing gear)

I lol'd when the Falcon lost it's dish again. There was a shot of the Falcon when it was on the island that seemed a bit off to me...the top front mandible seemed to thick and short...something was off.

As others have said, I thought that was a big improvement over TFA, but then again I hated TFA with such burning passion that there was nowhere to go but up. Alas then that "big improvement" doesn't translate to "great." It was fine. Just fine. A lot of excellent moments hamstrung by being bolted to the crummy decisions and worldbuilding of the prior movie. I just can't get past the decision to undercut everything the Rebels accomplished in the OT, and all without explanation too. Where did Snoke come from? Why does anyone from the First Order follow him? How come the Republic was so tiny that they could be wiped out completely by Starkiller Base? The First Order conquered the galaxy in the span of a weekend. I can't even clean my apartment in that amount of time!

It drives me nuts that these movies rely on us bringing our knowledge of and affection for the OT to the theater when it suits Disney's purposes, such as expecting us to care about the search for Luke or seeing Leia again and whatnot, but then also rely on us forgetting selective parts like the Rebels winning at the end of ROTJ. If you went into TLJ cold you'd be forgiven for having no idea that Luke, Leia, et al were the victors of a prior movie. It's crazy. I guess only bring your nostalgic attachment and leave the rest at the door.

But. Yeah. Whatever. TLJ was fine. Johnson is a far superior technician to JJ so it looked amazing. I got a kick out of much of the Luke/Rey and Rey/Kylo stuff. I like that we got new, weird force powers. It's been way too long since the world was expanded like that. The more bizarre Johnson's decisions were the better I liked it, like the Rey mirror sequence. I have no idea what it was about but at least it wasn't boring. But alas those moments of imagination were few and most of the movie was a giant pile of whatever.

Kinda funny to think about why Snoke didnt know what was coming when HE gave Kylo and Rey the idea in the first place...

It made me think why would Kylo do this, just because he talked down to him earlier? But no, Snoke gave him the idea that Rey would join him if they overthrew him. Really dumb on his part.

I lol'd when the Falcon lost it's dish again. There was a shot of the Falcon when it was on the island that seemed a bit off to me...the top front mandible seemed to thick and short...something was off.

Yes, that particular full-scale Falcon (it's the one in the leaked pictures from many months ago) is off in many ways.

Speaking of ratings..... It looks like the Rotten Tomatoes fan rating is in and The Last Jedi scored a 64. The only Star Wars movies to score lower are Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace at 57 and 59. Yup... it's a turkey folks.

-OWK

If this is accurate ( for whatever it’s worth ) , where does this leave Lucasfilm / Disney regarding the next trilogy - will Rian Johnson still write and direct them ?

The only reason it scored higher than TPM and AOTC, is because it was not a directly after OT movies. The prequels had an even bigger obstacle to overcome, they were the next trilogy after the OT.

If TFA and TLJ came after OT. Then it would have really been a disaster.

Wow! 1 day and it's a "turkey"? Your assessment is laughable at best! :lol

I think not Funky, allow me to digress. A large group people from my work went to a vendor screening last, none of them had good things to say about the movie afterward or today. Also, none of them had followed any of the spoilers, so there was no predisposition to the movie. Based on their review, I know of about 20-30 people that are now just going to wait for video, on-demand, or Kodi. When that many diverse people all agree on something being bad, it usually is.

Oh sure this will make money up front from the "It's Star Wars" people who have to be there the first night, but I think fan disapproval is going to be high. Hence, why I said it's a turkey.

-OWK

Just waiting for our daily update from Bryan on what our critic rating is on TLJ.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just got back from IMAX 3D, looked amazing in IMAX, 3D was neither here nor there.

Well, Rian Johnson got me, I bought into every little moment just as he planned. I laughed and enjoyed the humor, I cheered the big moments, and had tears in my eyes more then once. I have always felt that Snoke was just Snoke and Rey was just Rey so I wasn’t disappointed by their true dispositions, in fact I prefer Rey this way. I love the new characters, I did in TFA and even more so now. Carrie was much better served here and she was a delight. This was an acting tour de force for Mark Hamill, in my mind he has never delivered a more powerful performance. He may have taken issues with how Luke was handled as a character but as an actor he dove in head first and didn’t hold back.

There are nits to pick, many conveniences and a few plot holes. I liked Hux but he was very one note. Driver and Ridley were STRONG and I was literally becoming invested in a Kylo redemption story and when that table was turned Adam sold it. Rose and Fin’s adventure was fun albeit a bit superfluous but I though the Ride of the Fathiers was fun. It’s definately a bit long, some of the Ach-to stuff could have been tightened up. I liked how it was effectively a chase film but seeing the Resistance Cruiser with the Supremecy behind it got old. And for Gods sake, why can’t anyone give Captain Phasma something to do?!

I went in ready to move on and leave Luke, Leia, Han, and the OT behind. This story is about the new characters and I like them all and enjoying their ride.

I think not Funky, allow me to digress. A large group people from my work went to a vendor screening last, none of them had good things to say about the movie afterward or today. Also, none of them had followed any of the spoilers, so there was no predisposition to the movie. Based on their review, I know of about 20-30 people that are now just going to wait for video, on-demand, or Kodi. When that many diverse people all agree on something being bad, it usually is.

Oh sure this will make money up front from the "It's Star Wars" people who have to be there the first night, but I think fan disapproval is going to be high. Hence, why I said it's a turkey.

-OWK

Oh, sorry. The group I attended with was close to 100 people and the vast majority loved it.
Oh, wait, what's that at the top of this page? The majority of the people voting on this movie LIKED it?
Once again, your assessment of this movie being a "turkey" is laughable at best. :lol

In the poll

Anything below "it was good", to me means.. "nah not that good"..lol

51.54% nah not that good
48.46% it was good

WOW! HUGE margin! Clearly a landslide! :facepalm

- - - Updated - - -

4 words: Force-flying-space-Leia.

Those mother ****ers... I was done right then and there. Holy hell. :facepalm

-Rylo

As much as I liked this movie, I can't argue that. The whole Superman flying moment WAS horrible.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back