Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Uhhhh.....

Ok, fine, if you don't want to accept the unspoken force-knowledge-by-osmosis which I contend is clearly the intent of TFA, Rey literally trains with Luke.

What established 'rules' do you contend are broken?

First of all, it's not only her use with the force, it's everything about her. She's literally a Mary Sue (and no this is in no way sexism). She knows, can and does everything but nobody knows why and even the writers don't care.

Luke and Anakin were build as extremely powerful, but both got their arc, needed to train with the force, suffered, had their motivations. The only thing that could make sense is what Yoda said in ESB. The dark side is way easier than the light. But Rey isn't on the dark side. And Kylo struggles a lot to get stronger.

I'm a car guy and I am fimilair with Holden but had to look that one up. Brown doesn't do it any favors.

Lol.....Mine was called Absynth Yellow...terrible colour.... I was very envious of the brown one owners.:lol

Thats my model as well...the HX. Great car but kept thowing tailshafts.

So the Force is taking control of itself again, Just like it Created Anakin??? And cannot be wielded,,,,,and has a mind of its own.

Thats deep!!

Ok.. I can buy that.... But geezzz,,,it doesnt have to be such a shallow story to tell such a deep subject.

More to the point is that we still don't know why Rey is so strong in the Force. I'm hoping it's something we learn in IX.

- - - Updated - - -

First of all, it's not only her use with the force, it's everything about her. She's literally a Mary Sue (and no this is in no way sexism). She knows, can and does everything but nobody knows why and even the writers don't care.

Luke and Anakin were build as extremely powerful, but both got their arc, needed to train with the force, suffered, had their motivations. The only thing that could make sense is what Yoda said in ESB. The dark side is way easier than the light. But Rey isn't on the dark side. And Kylo struggles a lot to get stronger.

The Rey is a Mary Sue has been so thoroughly debunked both here and elsewhere it's not even worth discussing again.

It was always on my radar in RotJ - up until you mentioned it, I thought it was a given. Didn't cheapen the line to me at all.

No sir... Didn't cheapen it to me at all. It was meaningful to me in ESB & still is. Just hearing it in a different setting,I guess just didn't register, cause to me, there was no weight to it like before

"It's against my programming to impersonate a deity." Not hard to imagine what it would take to program one for a suicide mission, not to mention the idea that there weren't droids on board to perform that action.

"See ya around, kid." will go in the books as one my favorite lines of the series.

There are plenty of potential timeless moments... Snoke vs. Graflex. "Rebel scum." The dice. The Holdo maneuver.

That shows the line between the "Likes and the Hates" are as thick as the Pacific ocean... Graflex boomerang, invisible dice...Holdo?? Ok.. I except my resignation.......not!!

More to the point is that we still don't know why Rey is so strong in the Force. I'm hoping it's something we learn in IX.

- - - Updated - - -

The Rey is a Mary Sue has been so thoroughly debunked both here and elsewhere it's not even worth discussing again.

Some people may have debunked it for themselves.

What?....No droids on that entire ship.:lol

Its a droid in their service, no need to program anything...just tell it.

All it had to do was push a button after Hondo and Leia shared a force bubble to get to another ship.:lol

Last edited:

See the thread's previous discussion on Mary Sue, she's literally not. Not only has the term been abused by many (it originally refers to author insert/wish fulfillment characters in fan fiction), Rey was given FAR more thought than Luke. Luke is a farmboy, whom we are told (but never shown until the third act) that he's a pilot. Rey is a scavenger, which means that she has to have at least a menial knowledge of starships and their parts (to know which things are of value). It's also shown that she has an established relationship with Unkar Plutt (owner of the Falcon when TFA begins) and has at least a cursory knowledge of the ship ("that's one garbage," and she knew about Unkar's modifications). Why is it any less believable that she can fly the Falcon? Luke hops in an X-Wing that we're never given any reason to believe he's flown before and he does alright for himself.

Well, again, if you want to say that the film hasn't convincingly executed Rey having motivations....that's a fair subjective position to take. But it's pretty clear what Rey's motivations are, they're practically pasted all over the film (parentage, learning about the force).

That shows the line between the "Likes and the Hates" are as thick as the Pacific ocean... Graflex boomerang, invisible dice...Holdo?? Ok.. I except my resignation.......not!!
The movie hasn't been out a month. On June 10, 1977 no one thought "may the Force be with you" would be around 40 years later. It's obvious some folks aren't going to like the movie or its moments no matter what - that doesn't mean that time won't find any of these moments timeless. Let the haters hate, I know there are many moments in TLJ that will be timeless... feel free to disagree of hate all ya'd like.

It's been well established that droids in the SW universe may be owned, but they have 'feelings' & a level of autonomy. We've seen them be tortured, feel pain, become scared, the whole gamut of 'human' behaviour. No way the good guys would order a suicide, which is what it would be in the SW universe.

Labelling legitimate criticism as being just hate is well....terrible.

DROID LIVES MATTER......:lol Sacrificing a droid over a major leader of a crumbling resistance....Hmmmm tough choice.:lol

The movie hasn't been out a month. On June 10, 1977 no one thought "may the Force be with you" would be around 40 years later. It's obvious some folks aren't going to like the movie or its moments no matter what - that doesn't mean that time won't find any of these moments timeless. Let the haters hate, I know there are many moments in TLJ that will be timeless... feel free to disagree of hate all ya'd like.

So what quotes will this movie have in 40 years?

- - - Updated - - -

All it had to do was push a button after Hondo and Leia shared a force bubble to get to another ship.:lol

And speaking of droids, I dont remember R2 ever failing a hack.

There wasn't a droid on that ship. Holdo was all that was left - Holdo stayed because she had to (that was a plot point that I'm sure can and will be explained. We know how capable droids are from the Clone Wars and these are New Republic droids that most likely aren't programmed for wartime maneuvers that the Raddus would need to make to protect the escaping transports.

A Jedi Knight telling Threepio to impersonate a deity (when really all he did was sit in a chair in front of some teddy bears) is a bit different than setting a droid (that again, was not present on the ship at the time) to do a suicide run that's being told to violate its most basic programming.

There wasn't a droid on that ship. Holdo was all that was left - Holdo stayed because she had to (that was a plot point that I'm sure can and will be explained. We know how capable droids are from the Clone Wars and these are New Republic droids that most likely aren't programmed for wartime maneuvers that the Raddus would need to make to protect the escaping transports.

A Jedi Knight telling Threepio to impersonate a deity (when really all he did was sit in a chair in front of some teddy bears) is a bit different than setting a droid (that again, was not present on the ship at the time) to do a suicide run that's being told to violate its most basic programming.

So you would sacrifice a major leader of a crumbling resistance over a droid.....wow.

No need for another movie...The First Order wins.

Somebody PLEASE change the topic.:lol

Last edited:
I think that asking what will stand the test of time, in order to prove that the movie was bad, is like asking anyone, "In 40 years, what part of this last Christmas will be your fondest memory?".

Time & perspective are what makes those things.

What story is that? The film tells us (through Leia) that while what Poe did may have resulted in a short-term tactical victory, in the long run, he needlessly lost lives (and was not thinking like a leader should).

I guess I don't see how this would have made Holdo a "better" character.

We have a story arc for Poe that he needs to learn to be the leader. And at the end of that arc Holdo turns out to be the leader to show example. Now Holdo has just took the reins after a big defeat, the actual leader of the Resistance is between life and death, troops decimated, they’re being chased. I think it’s a really obvious thing to ask in this situation from the new leader what the plan is. And the leader who is supposed to be the example figure just says a commonplace saying from one of those Facebook daily wisdom pages and that’s it whereas they actually do have a plan. Does that not sound contradictory to the message of the story about leadership? The frustrating thing is that with just a tiny effort in screenwriting this could have been avoided, like she does tell and Poe says “it’s b*llocks, I have to figure something out myself”. Bang, there’s your story arc.

Likewise, whether or not one agrees with the creative decision to have Luke force-project himself onto Crait, the fact that he does it, actually solidifies the fact that Luke has re-connected to the force and is still one of its most powerful wielders. Kylo says to Rey: "you can't be doing this, the effort would kill you." Luke one-ups Kylo on what he (Kylo) thinks are the limits of force abilities. That's why Kylo doesn't realize Luke isn't there...he can't even comprehend Luke having the ability to do that in the first place.
And then he just dies.

-Luke trolling Kylo through the Force. THIS was THE moment of the movie for me. I love how Luke goes out there to fight Kylo. Everything about this scene is great. The music, the dialogue, the visuals. I love it. I've even been considering putting "See ya around, kid." in my signature. It's such a great way for Luke to go. Not through some climactic duel, but through a great feat of the Force. Really puts Yoda's "Wars do not make one great." line into action.
Yup, that was cool. And then he just died.

I had to be honest and say it didn't work for me, and he said I was letting nitpicking get in the way of enjoying the film. Sorry, but I am nitpicking because the writing is so bad it doesn't allow me to get invested in what's happenning.

Yea, this seems to be the standard response from people who liked it. You’re a “hater” (love that word, instantly antagonizing whoever doesn’t like what you do), “nitpicker”, “not a true fan”. I mean gee, I get it you liked it, fine, I didn’t, I can tell you why but iif you don’t want to discuss it, that’s fine too. I remember it was very similar to Phantom Menace, lots of people trying to rationalize it and make sense out of it, lots of people vehemently defending it...as long as the discussion is civil and productive it’s fine but there’s a bloody war it seems.

Anyone remember the David Lynch version of Dune? The theatrical version has Princess Irulan telling you for 2 minutes about the state of affairs. The "Alan Smithee" version has a 5-minute animated intro that discusses how humanity got to this point.
Oh god yes, those ****ty watercolour paintings while a dead boring narrator tells you exposition...I’ll take Irulan with Toto’s score any day but agreed, it’s a bit problematic to deliver exposition in these kinds of movies.

Personally, I think it should've been handled better by JJ in the first film. Hell, the opening crawl could've done it, or Han could've taken an additional 2 minutes to address it. E.G., Han says "Snoke managed to corrupt one of Luke's students, who slaughtered anyone who wouldn't join him, and then went rogue." Rey or Finn responds "But how could anyone sway a pupil of Luke Skywalker?!" Then Han explains "After the fall of the Emperor and Vader, we thought the Dark Side was defeated forever. We were wrong. The Emperor saw to that. He had disciples we never knew about across the galaxy. Some gave up, others were killed in the years leading up to the armistice. But one, Snoke, fled to the unknown regions with the rest of the Imperial diehards. We don't know how, but he managed to take control and build up the First Order into what it is now. Without Luke...I don't know how we can beat him."

Cut the Rathtar sequence and you've got the time you need.
Agreed fully. I don’t think something like this couldn’t have been done in TLJ. For the record, I’m fine with no backstory for Snoke, but this would have taken 3 minutes in TLJ too.

Just asking, so don't be a passive aggressive ***** in response, but the timeless moments that have been mentioned from the OT have had 30+ years to prove themselves as such. How can things less than a month old be judged in the same way?
That’s a very fair point, I agree. However TFA is not that old and Han’s death and the duel at the end when Rey pulls the saber then later tunes into the force and overpowers Ren gives me chills every time I see it. So does the very end with Luke no matter how that played out in the next film. We all need to remember that the unforgetable classic moments don’t exist in a vacuum. They have a build up, their importance in the story and their execution all play a part in why they became classic moments. That’s why “I know” was very different to the “I know” in ROTJ.

Last edited:

The ship itself?

I think that asking what will stand the test of time, in order to prove that the movie was bad, is like asking anyone, "In 40 years, what part of this last Christmas will be your fondest memory?".

Time & perspective are what makes those things.

I was watching the credits, for the first time, saying "may the force be with you"

I was watching the credits, for the first time, saying "Ive got a bad feeling about this"

I was watching the credits for the first time, saying "do or do not...there is no try"

An older me, TPM, "we will watch your career with great interest"

AOTC, Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?

ROTS, You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them!"

So lets get back to the ST. What quotes?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back