Neopixel strips for sabers. Question about 144 LED Strips.

oneeyedgiant

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi guys. I recently bought two sets of 144 WS2812B 5V RGB strips from Ebay (the vendor appears to be an electronics supplier based in CA- USA). They came in sealed bags wrapped around a thin spool. They looks great except they appear to have been spliced in the same spot on both strips. Is this normal? I thought that it would have been one, long PCB. The splicing has created a bigger gap between the LEDS. One is slightly larger than the other.

IMG_1478.JPG

Yea that’s normal. Though the solder job could be slightly cleaner that’s pretty much how they all are. It will be noticeable once all put together but it’s really not that bad.
There will most likely be other things that bother you more than that. Even with the things I don’t care for about neopixel every person I’ve shown the blades to has absolutely loved them.
The key to hiding these things is all in the diffusion. Don’t be afraid to go a little extra with it. These blades will still be plenty bright.

Still you will have shadow lines upside down in all the blade, no difussion solve that problem with neopixel.

The less problem for you is the strip resolder.

Last edited:
I asked one of the smiths about it on Facebook who was doing extensive testing. The solder gap isn't visible with all the diffusion going on. Back-to-back strips, tissue paper or film wrapped around them, inserted into a white foam tube, inside a trans white blade. It will be mega bright and mega even. Don't bother cutting and resoldering that joint.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back