Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Messages
    11
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 4:24 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #76

    When I discovered the plug on the Ibenez pedal board, I knew it was a good match, but not necessarily the exact item. The fact is the oldest Ibanez pedal board ( the UE700) came out in 1978/1979. As we all know, the movie came out before that. Thanks to the excellent team work of the RPF community, we now know that these were common plugs used on old VTRs (video tape recorders), also video dubbing and editing machines in the 70s for connecting monitors. They were called EIAJ Rec. 8 Pin Male (or female) Connector and later E8M
    connectors (actual names vary by manufacturer and distributor listings
    ). The EIAJ 8 Pin connector changed from rectangle to round as time passed so don’t be discouraged if you only see the modern round one when you first start searching. These cables were probably all over place in Hollywood and English studios. Just wanted to put this out there for those seeking the exact piece. Happy Hunting!
  2. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,262
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 4:36 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #77

    Davids1161 said: View Post
    When I discovered the plug on the Ibenez pedal board, I knew it was a good match, but not necessarily the exact item. The fact is the oldest Ibanez pedal board ( the UE700) came out in 1978/1979. As we all know, the movie came out before that. Thanks to the excellent team work of the RPF community, we now know that these were common plugs used on old VTRs (video tape recorders), also video dubbing and editing machines in the 70s for connecting monitors. They were called EIAJ Rec. 8 Pin Male (or female) Connector and later E8M
    connectors (actual names vary by manufacturer and distributor listings
    ). The EIAJ 8 Pin connector changed from rectangle to round as time passed so donít be discouraged if you only see the modern round one when you first start searching. These cables were probably all over place in Hollywood and English studios. Just wanted to put this out there for those seeking the exact piece. Happy Hunting!
    Thank you for sharing such a huge breakthrough with us!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. RPF Premium Member trooper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2002
    From
    spokane washington
    Messages
    1,849
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 4:39 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #78

    veektohr said: View Post
    Thank you for sharing such a huge breakthrough with us!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    definitely, I second that. when so many would hold out on the info to gather every part they could find to profit from it.
  4. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,262
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 5:41 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #79

    Some new pics. For fear this has derailed the build thread, should we start a research thread?





  5. RPF Premium Member Cameron's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Irvine California
    Messages
    1,267
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 5:45 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #80

    Thing of beauty.

    - - - Updated - - -

    veektohr said: View Post
    Some new pics. For fear this has derailed the build thread, should we start a research thread?

    https://i.imgur.com/9zeUM7Q.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/g9mzkbx.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/15khYdl.jpg

    is that NOS?
  6. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Messages
    11
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 5:46 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #81

    Fantastic Pic! We are the Jedi Of Researchers!
  7. RPF Premium Member trooper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2002
    From
    spokane washington
    Messages
    1,849
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 5:50 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #82

    veektohr said: View Post
    Some new pics. For fear this has derailed the build thread, should we start a research thread?

    https://i.imgur.com/9zeUM7Q.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/g9mzkbx.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/15khYdl.jpg

    is that female end from the ue400 ?
  8. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,262
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 5:54 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #83

    They're both NOS from some Sony A/V equipment. I'm trying to get more information from the seller. I would imagine the female port is similar to other variations, though... It looks a lot like the picture from the ue400. Maybe without the metal bracket, the nub protrudes a little bit? Maybe they cut the pins off the female ?
  9. RPF Premium Member Cameron's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Irvine California
    Messages
    1,267
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 6:04 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #84

    Is it possible to not just like but love a thread????? MODS!!! New button needed asap!!
  10. RPF Premium Member MastahBlastah's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2014
    From
    USA
    Messages
    360
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 6:13 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #85

    Trooper ... is it possible that one of these gold screws is what you aimed to approximate with the gold metal rod that sticks out from roughly the same place in your resin replica? It would be possible to run the screw just up through the plastic piece, and leave the metal bracket off.

    I've seen photos of a black plastic version of this female piece out there as well.
  11. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,262
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 6:27 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #86

    I wonder if there's a red plastic version?
  12. RPF Premium Member MastahBlastah's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2014
    From
    USA
    Messages
    360
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 6:40 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #87

    Why red, if you don't mind me asking?
  13. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,262
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 6:42 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #88

    Just because of that little bit of red in some of the reference. Maybe it's paint flaked off showing the plastic beneath? Could just be some reflected light, too. This whole mystery box has completely taken over my weekend. x_x
  14. RPF Premium Member mgoob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2000
    From
    Rochester, N.Y.
    Messages
    767
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 7:37 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #89

    veektohr said: View Post
    Some new pics. For fear this has derailed the build thread, should we start a research thread?

    https://i.imgur.com/9zeUM7Q.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/g9mzkbx.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/15khYdl.jpg


    What you've got here are 8 pin "TV" cables used on old Sony broadcast video equipment.
    I remember these from my early days in TV production: they were on the back of U-matic VTR's beginning in 1971, IIRC.

    The back of the video monitor had BNC video inputs, as well as RCA audio in/ out.
    These 8 pin cables brought all signals to the monitor in one strong cable.

    You can see it here on the back of an old VTR, so old it's using an N Connector instead of the later-developed BNC connector:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sony TV connector female.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	774496
  15. RPF Premium Member Bengrim09's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2016
    From
    Uk Lancashire
    Messages
    920
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 7:44 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #90

    Just reading
    wow what a find
    so giddy inside
    I just hope we can find a supplier who will not get greedy and unscrupulous folk out there who will try and corner the market and rip us off, just had a quick search but didn’t come up with much
  16. RPF Premium Member trooper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2002
    From
    spokane washington
    Messages
    1,849
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 7:47 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #91

    also found on reel to reel video recorders, hand held video recorders, tv monitors beta tape players and cctv set ups, I'm sure much more..
  17. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Messages
    2,424
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 9:47 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #92

    Dude!!! I'm away for the weekend and what miracles pop up!?!?!?!
  18. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,262
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 10:12 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #93

    scottjua said: View Post
    Dude!!! I'm away for the weekend and what miracles pop up!?!?!?!
    We all got blindsided!
  19. timw1031's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2017
    From
    Nebraska
    Messages
    18
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 10:15 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #94

    The Force is strong with this group!! This is exciting!
  20. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Jun 2017
    Messages
    59
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 10:21 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #95

    Is it a possibility that they just wrapped copper wire around this part and we are over thinking it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15khYdl.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	774541
  21. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,262
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 10:25 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #96

    Seneca said: View Post
    Is it a possibility that they just wrapped copper wire around this part and we are over thinking it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15khYdl.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	774541
    Lol, that is entirely possible. When I have these in hand I'll test your theory. EDIT: Now that's all I see when I look at the reference
  22. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Jun 2017
    Messages
    59
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 11:35 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #97

    veektohr said: View Post
    Lol, that is entirely possible. When I have these in hand I'll test your theory. EDIT: Now that's all I see when I look at the reference
    Hah! also I have 3 versions of the male plug comin the 8 to 10 pin the Ibanez and this maxon UE 401. They say that the Ibanez are cheep knock offs of this maxon 401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600iyu.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	774563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600h.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	774564
  23. RPF Premium Member trooper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2002
    From
    spokane washington
    Messages
    1,849
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 11:52 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #98

    veektohr said: View Post
    Lol, that is entirely possible. When I have these in hand I'll test your theory. EDIT: Now that's all I see when I look at the reference
    there looks to be a flat surface, like a small circuit board
  24. RPF Premium Member Cameron's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Irvine California
    Messages
    1,267
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 12:59 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #99

    I think this a very possible contender. Made in the 70s. These were def in studios for early video production. The pic is of the cable that came with it.
    http://vintage-technics.ru/Eng-Sony_AV-3400.htm

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sony_VMC-1M.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	774566
  25. RPF Premium Member trooper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2002
    From
    spokane washington
    Messages
    1,849
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 1:12 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #100

    Cameron said: View Post
    I think this a very possible contender. Made in the 70s. These were def in studios for early video production. The pic is of the cable that came with it.
    http://vintage-technics.ru/Eng-Sony_AV-3400.htm

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sony_VMC-1M.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	774566
    I was looking at those last night, there was two of sony av-3450 sold on ebay, it has the correct plug
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Son...8AAOSwJclZnek4

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: Jul 21, 2017, 10:05 AM
  2. Kalimar Knob Disassembly - Luke's ANH Macrobinoculars
    Dewback_Rider, DC Costumes and Props
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar 26, 2012, 11:54 PM

Tags