Tomenosuke blaster assembly kit tips and tricks, help the new builders

I thought they must have come from various kit instructions, that's amazing you did it all yourself! Dedication ;)

Well you're not entirely wrong. The Hartford blaster had a series of exploded views in their diagrams on their blaster and I used them as inspiration and as a base for many of the drawings I did. If you look at the manual, you will notice that I put the Hartford name next to the diagrams and while mine are mostly different, I did feel it was important to recognise the source.

M

Well you're not entirely wrong. The Hartford blaster had a series of exploded views in their diagrams on their blaster and I used them as inspiration and as a base for many of the drawings I did. If you look at the manual, you will notice that I put the Hartford name next to the diagrams and while mine are mostly different, I did feel it was important to recognise the source.

M

Oh right, I did see the name, I didn't know what it referred to :)

It's a brilliant additional thing to be able to have in my mini display and I'm grateful to you for being generous enough to let everyone download it for their own use! And now I can say I have some Mark Raats artwork of my own. Until I can get hold of a print or proof that is :)

Cheers!

Oh right, I did see the name, I didn't know what it referred to :)
It's a brilliant additional thing to be able to have in my mini display and I'm grateful to you for being generous enough to let everyone download it for their own use! And now I can say I have some Mark Raats artwork of my own. Until I can get hold of a print or proof that is :)
Cheers!

LOL, thank you sir. You do me a great honor!

Anyone found any good walkthroughs of how people have wired up the green LED's? I've seen some with the white wires that run along the outside of the gun. I'm going to try to run something a bit more subtle but was curious if anyone had already done a more discreet wiring job before i start drilling holes in things.

I'm glad this page exists, I just got my Tomenosuke Assembly blaster for close to $300 cheaper than retail! So I definitely have plans to build it. Questions for peeps who know more about this than I do:

Those who blue the reciever/barrel and want it to keep that used/worn look rather than a glossy look, once you blue it then you can just leave it? Or would it be wise to still let it cure in something in order to preserve the blueing?

What would i look up if I want to get some of the vintage parts for my build? Mainly the knobs and the binding post.

I'm glad this page exists, I just got my Tomenosuke Assembly blaster for close to $300 cheaper than retail! So I definitely have plans to build it. Questions for peeps who know more about this than I do:

Those who blue the reciever/barrel and want it to keep that used/worn look rather than a glossy look, once you blue it then you can just leave it? Or would it be wise to still let it cure in something in order to preserve the blueing?

What would i look up if I want to get some of the vintage parts for my build? Mainly the knobs and the binding post.
The metal is softer than steel, and cold blue isn't as durable either. If I were going for a worn look I'd blue it all nicely and cause holster wear by using a polish like flitz & a qtip on the edges & high spots. Or get one of the replics holsters & just put it in & take it out a couple thousand times.

I'm going for a world-con look to mine so does anyone have a diameter for the bundle of four white wires running up the left side under the sight-rod?
I'm guessing something like 1mm plastic coated copper would do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, the Star Wars guys dull the surface finish on aluminium lightsaber hilts by running them through the dishwasher using a regular detergent tablet in the top tray like you would with the cutlery. I've tried it myself and it works great on ali. The darker you want the metal the more times you put it through.

Anybody know if this can be done with the metal parts on a Tomen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I received my steel barrel yesterday and installed it today and wanted to show how I did. This is not a tutorial, but this is to hopefully help those that wanted to know if it's easy or not to get a better idea of how to do it.

- first, I cut the old plastic barrel with a regular saw, any fine teeth saw would work, metal or wood. the plastic is quite easy to cut but you have to be careful of the metal insert. I think most people are using a dremel and this is probably a better idea. I just like to do stuff by hand as often as possible. The dremel should be a better idea because of the metal insert that is quite hard to cut.

barrelSwap01.jpg

- there you can see the result of cutting the plastic barrel and removing it from the metal insert. I then continued to cut it by hand with a metal saw.

barrelSwap02.jpg

- the next step is to file the cut barrel flush to the gun frame. the picture bellow shows something that is not yet good. I recoment to test fit the frame+barrel+receiver to check that the screw holes on the receiver are aligned to the barrel. in the net picture, I thought I was finished, I worked on the frame and polished it, and then realised that I didn't remove enough material from the frame. it has to be perfectly flush.

barrelSwap03.jpg

- at this point, I wanted to get rid of all the moulding circles on the frame, so I filed and sanded everything flat. I then used mothers mag and aluminium polish on the frame and it actually gave a pretty uniform finish. A bit like it was before but without the moulding lines and circles and more shinny. it actually takes the light nicelly and should be looking nice with the blued metal when everything is finished.

barrelSwap04.jpg

barrelSwap05.jpg

barrelSwap06.jpg

here is a little before/after comparison, you can see the frame was very matte and the new version kind of look like a blued metal frame

barrelSwap07.jpg

here is a very bad picture of the fun reassembled.

barrelSwap08.jpg

I'm very happy of the new barrel result. I'm actually really taking my time on that blaster. I'm working on it since beginning of July and really enjoying it. I'm trying my best not to rush anything and to do something as precise and realistic as possible.
so far, I polished all the metal pieces. replaced the barrel and the cylinder with metal ones. I got an original weaver know that you can see on the picture above. polished the grips. I still want to work on the plastic ammo clip to remove the tomen moulding line that is not present on the original one.

I hope this helps a little bit. overall the barrel swap is not complex and not too time consuming. just go slowly. check the fit while you remove material on the remains of the old barrel/frame and everything should go smoothly, and you'll get a really nice looking barrel in no time :)

ok I have a favour to ask of any of you. I stripped down my blaster, replaced the barrel, blued everything successfully and my screws are jumbled and I'm having trouble identifying each individual one.. Could someone familiar with them possibly create a legend as to what each screw is so I can proceed. I know this is a big ask ..
thankyou all
Colin

ok I have a favour to ask of any of you. I stripped down my blaster, replaced the barrel, blued everything successfully and my screws are jumbled and I'm having trouble identifying each individual one.. Could someone familiar with them possibly create a legend as to what each screw is so I can proceed. I know this is a big ask ..
thankyou all
Colin

I’m sure someone must have posted pics/scans of the Tomen kit instructions with that info on. Or a link to the instructions online.

Yeah, if you go to Propsummit and search: 'Tomenosuke Blaster Exploded Diagram: ENGLISH-LANGUAGE KEY'
you can view a layout of the blaster parts with all the screws listed.

It is crazy how well buffing the plastic Bulldog makes it match the other weathered parts. I tried it and it worked like a charm. Now I have to darken the receiver.

IMG_0070.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, I received my steel barrel yesterday and installed it today and wanted to show how I did. This is not a tutorial, but this is to hopefully help those that wanted to know if it's easy or not to get a better idea of how to do it. :)

Very nice. I assume you are making a "ghost" ? Is the barrel stainless? I have a 2049 tomen kit and planning this as well.

Cheers.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back