Studios Blame Everyone But Themselves For Movies That Suck

While I agree mostly, Rotten Tomatoes is pretty horrible for films. It's an aggregate score based on a binary system. At the end of the day, you can't judge a film on a simple "Good or Bad" scale and that is how they tabulate the ratings for their movies. At the end of the day, Rotten Tomatoes is just a way for people to lazily decide not to see a movie.

"Oh this movie only has a 40%? That means it's terrible"

Yes, endless ****ty sequels, reboots, and franchises are a drag and the hyper-inflated budgets of movies have led studios to avoiding anything even remotely risky. It's a broken model and it can't sustain itself. It's almost like all of Hollywood has adopted the insane business model of Golan and Globus at Cannon Films. While Rotten Tomatoes isn't the only problem, it definitely isn't helping.

https://qz.com/995202/movie-studios...-of-the-caribbean-which-no-one-wanted-to-see/

I only use so called movie critics as a guide...not the final say. This is ridiculous. How about this Hollywood, put out something original and at least mildly intelligent if you want our money.

and other rotten movies use RT's score as the ONLY positive thing they can find about the movie online, and THAT was most likely manufactured by them ;o)..

But as for others, then they'd have to put actual EFFORT into things..

what was the last musical score you actually NOTICED?

what was the last movie you thought 'hey, an actual cool design, that put some effort into things and not ripped off something old?'

When was the last time a movie made you think, and you said ' i need to rewatch this right away to catch all the things i missed?'

Maybe I'm just getting more jaded, but to me, it's been a LONG while since a movie caught my interest the way it used to in the days since, say, Galaxy Quest.

The feel good nature of things is also long gone as click bait controversy is more interesting than putting out a good film.

I'm about done with nu hollywood these days. the young people can have it ;o)

No critic from RT, here or any other board will ever dictate or sway me from seeing a movie. I have a mind of my own thank you. I really don't "get" the point of sites like that, why does anyone need someone/website to tell them what's worth watching?

How about this? Don't go see these movies. Yeah, they suck because the studios put no effort into it...because they don't have to. It can suck and people will still go see it and give their money for it. If not here, then over-seas, now. And they'll see anything because it's from Hollywood. The studios say this because they're partly right. They're corporations now and follow trends in hopes of selling their product for better or worse. These films will still make money even if they lack any and all substance...but they still make money. And that's all that matters to them.

People vote with their money. You don't like these over-blown, low-effort films? Don't see them. Still want to see it without dropping the money? Wait for someone to pirate it and find it online. Plenty of good movies are still made, they just don't get the exposure like the big things; go see those. They certainly can use the money and, like the trend in the late 60's to 70's, when those made money, studios will take the chances to make more movies like them.

Last edited:
How about this? Don't go see these movies. Yeah, they suck because the studios put no effort into it...because they don't have to. It can suck and people will still go see it and give their money for it. If not here, then over-seas, now. And they'll see anything because it's from Hollywood. The studios say this because they're partly right. They're corporations now and follow trends in hopes of selling their product for better or worse. These films will still make money even if they lack any and all substance...but they still make money. And that's all that matters to them.

People vote with their money. You don't like these over-blown, low-effort films? Don't see them. Still want to see it without dropping the money? Wait for someone to pirate it and find it online. Plenty of good movies are still made, they just don't get the exposure like the big things; go see those. They certainly can use the money and, like the trend in the late 60's to 70's, when those made money, studios will take the chances to make more movies like them.

The topic article is literally about movie studios complaining that people are doing that. Voting against the movie by not paying.

I never looked at the ratings of either of those movies. Pirates is part five of a series that I never saw parts 3 and 4 of, and the other one was Baywatch.

When all is said and done, I watch what I want to watch. Mostly comicbook and sci-fi stuff.

RT scores are just a curiosity. And I never pay attention to critics They often come-off like junior versions of Oscar judges, rejecting anything that doesn't hit the check-boxes.

I never look at reviews. I base my movie going decision based on what I can pick up of the story from previews and trailers. There was nothing about these two movies that looked at all interesting. There was even a line in one of the trailers for Baywatch where they expressed my thoughts about the story. The new guy said something along the lines of "shouldn't the cops deal with this?"

As for saying "studios are just in it for the money", except for the very beginning they have always been about making a profit. About the only real change is they want to earn it all in the first two weeks.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

As for saying "studios are just in it for the money", except for the very beginning they have always been about making a profit. About the only real change is they want to earn it all in the first two weeks.

I'm always saying that here yet people seem to forget that or think otherwise. I always say that movie studios aren't in the business of making movies, they're in business of making money (always have been) and movies are just the way that they make their money.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back