RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The cast have been announced.
Pedro Pascal
Vanessa Kirby
Ebon Moss-Bachrach
Joseph Quinn

Releasing the 25th of July 2025.

1000014612.png

Please don't rush things, Marvel/Disney.
Please don't just build it off of some spec script hoping to sell it on branding and pure hype.

In FF you have the opportunity to do something completely original (unlike prior failed attempts).
There is a TON of untapped potential if you tap deeply into the comics - even more than The Avengers and, arguably, more than the X-Men.

FF is not one of those projects you should attach to someone who is willfully ignorant of comics - I understand the rationale for doing so with some MCU characters, but this isn't one of them.

Please don't mess this up, Disney.
Don't "Rings of Power" the Fantastic Four.

Please don't rush things, Marvel/Disney.
Please don't just build it off of some spec script hoping to sell it on branding and pure hype.

In FF you have the opportunity to do something completely original (unlike prior failed attempts).
There is a TON of untapped potential if you tap deeply into the comics - even more than The Avengers and, arguably, more than the X-Men.

FF is not one of those projects you should attach to someone who is willfully ignorant of comics - I understand the rationale for doing so with some MCU characters, but this isn't one of them.

Please don't mess this up, Disney.
Don't "Rings of Power" the Fantastic Four.
Purely out of curiosity, which MCU films have led you to have this concern?

I love Pedro, but he just isnt a Reed Richards.
Agree.

Pedro is over utilized, over saturated and pure stunt casting at this point. Same as Quinn, but he I can really see as Johnny Storm.

It's polarizing to see nothing more than "Pedro Pescal" in anything he's in. As panned as it was, the 2000's FF had the most comic accurate representation of Reed Richards, down to the persona and charm of Reed. Pedro will just infuse this with his same "i'm cool and sexy" charisma, which just isn't Reed at all.

I'll still be there at the theater to complain regardless LOL.

I don't think that's the only interpretation of the character available. The character has been presented pretty differently throughout the sixty-ish years he's been around.
I could be wrong, but I think this interpretation started with the Ultimate FF in the early aughts. I can easily see him being aloof and overly serious about his work, though that's not the direction that the illustration seems to point toward.

I could be wrong, but I think this interpretation started with the Ultimate FF in the early aughts. I can easily see him being aloof and overly serious about his work, though that's not the direction that the illustration seems to point toward.
Yeah, and I'm ok with that because, frankly, I think that'd be really boring to watch. Admittedly, I haven't read FF comics since the 80s, but that interpretation doesn't jive with my sense of the character. So who's right, ya know?

Yeah, and I'm ok with that because, frankly, I think that'd be really boring to watch. Admittedly, I haven't read FF comics since the 80s, but that interpretation doesn't jive with my sense of the character. So who's right, ya know?
I was never a big FF guy in 616 canon, so I really only know the broad strokes of the book.

I think one of Reed's most constant defining characteristics is a bit of arrogance about how smart/right he usually is. Similar to Dr Strange in that way?

I was never a big FF guy in 616 canon, so I really only know the broad strokes of the book.

I think one of Reed's most constant defining characteristics is a bit of arrogance about how smart/right he usually is. Similar to Dr Strange in that way?
I think so. I didn't read FF regularly, but was generally familiar with them. My sense was that yeah, Reed could be arrogant about his ability to use science to solve problems, the same way Strange could be arrogant about magic solving problems.

But also, stylistically, the characters have changed a lot over time. I dunno, I'm just saying that there's no one single "right" version of Reed.

I think you need to tick certain boxes, some of which are explicit, and some of which are simply necessary for the story to work.

So, on the explicit side, he's gotta be a science dude, he's gotta be brilliant but maybe a bit arrogant. I mean, its his arrogance that gets them all their powers anyway, right? So, that needs to be there to some degree. Narratively, this gives you an edge for your character, which makes them interesting. If he's basically just Ward Cleaver with stretchy abilities, that's a snore.

You also need something in the core of who he is -- of who each of the characters are, really -- that compels them to be heroic. I mean, what makes them say "We're going to use these abilities to do good"? Why would they do that? That needs to be grounded in their characters, and not merely left to their position as "These are the heroes, so they do hero stuff."

What I think could make for the most interesting aspects of this is the tension between Reed and Ben, and again what compels each to be a hero. I would expect Reed to feel IMMENSE guilt about Ben. And I would expect Ben to feel IMMENSE rage about the underlying unfairness of being the only physically disfigured of the quartet. Everyone else can live glamorous, happy lives, but Ben (who appears to be an astronaut already) is reduced to a thing. A monster. If this ends up being juxtaposed against him having been viewed as a national hero and kind of a ladies man previously, that's even worse for him. So what makes him decide to go do good? Loyalty to his family? The love of a good woman (e.g., Alicia Masters)? Something else? I think that's worth exploring.

I mean, you can go deep with each of these characters if you really care to. Sure, they can be handled at a very surface level (Johnny is just the annoying kid brother, or the hotshot hothead, or whatever; Sue is just "the girl"), but you can also play with those 1960s archetypes and try to get to the real people behind them. Maybe Johnny is a hotshot and a wiseass because nobody takes him seriously, and he feels like he has something to prove living in the shadow of these brilliant people. Maybe Sue chafes against the sexual politics of the 1960s that reduce her to "the girl" when she's a woman and brilliant mind in her own right. There's a ton here you can play with. Even moreso if this starts as a period piece and then ends up with them time-jumping to the present.

Totally agreed. I do wonder if Dr Doom will end up in this film. He's the iconic FF villain, and his origin is tied to Reed so it seems like a no brainer, but I think there's a really fine line to walk with him. There's a very real chance of Doom coming off as goofy and cartoonish, when he's supposed to be deadly serious all the time. The earlier films did kind of a bad job at this, painting him as nearly a moustache twirling type.

I can see them going in a different direction, if only to avoid having to sell the team's origins along with that additional challenge.

I would love to see it as a 1960s period piece. the astronaut suit certainly implies that. If they do a time jump I wonder when it would happen in the film. Right at the end is very similar to Captain America. Could you have the time jump happen along with their powers? They are famous but not powered in the 60s, then when they reappear after disappearing mysteriously, they have their powers. This would deprive us of most of the movie being a period piece unfortunately. They never did take full advantage of Steve's man out of time status. The FF could really lean into that, from several angles.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back