Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member newmagrathea's Avatar
    From
    Kansas City MO
    May 26, 2017, 11:28 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #26

I think they edited the article since I read it this morning. I read that one part about the DL-44 like 4 times because it was really confusing. Where is says [muzzle] now, it said [camera].

I've read his book it's pretty good.
    From
    South Carolina
    May 26, 2017, 11:43 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #27

I've worked as a film developer for many years (not anymore). Anyway, back in the good ol' "film" days, before digital, we very frequently had to brighten up images. & it didn't matter if it was a point-n-shoot or SLR. The pros, who thought they were amazing, never knew how much work went into making them look amazing. Anyway, you could only brighten so much, however, due to the fact that you would loose details in the image.
  3. Member Since
    Jul 1999
    From
    Georgia
    May 27, 2017, 10:48 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #28

The lighting and general look of the Luke saber pic appears to be taken during the same photo shoot as the "Toe Pic" that I posted here many years ago.

- Jim
  4. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    May 27, 2017, 12:51 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #29

THX1138 said: View Post
    The lighting and general look of the Luke saber pic appears to be taken during the same photo shoot as the "Toe Pic" that I posted here many years ago.

- Jim
    I agree indeed!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    May 27, 2017, 2:38 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #30

thd9791 said: View Post
    very cool! is it stamped, etched or printed on?
    This shall be revealed when I dug up the clamp from my parts box hidden behind so many other boxes coming from my late parents home right now ... and when I have taken some beautyshots of it for the OB1 ultimate all vintage parts thread ...

Cha´m
  6. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    May 27, 2017, 5:43 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #31

SethS said: View Post
    .... he doesn't mention camera parts when talking about the DL-44...
    Hey @SethS ! I wouldn't rule it out though. Here are some vintage camera GREEBLIES I picked up back in March 2017....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vintage Camera GREEBLIES - Ridire Firean - 01.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	742958

Name:	Vintage Camera GREEBLIES - Ridire Firean - 02.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	742959

They really liked round, stepped, knurled, and conical bits back then, and Roger Christian did shop at a camera store in London. I'm not saying he didn't also shop at an airplane scrapyard and that some of the greeblies couldn't have come from there too, I'm just saying that there were certainly some camera parts that could fit right in on a DL-44.
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; Jul 11, 2017 at 9:51 PM. Reason: Switching photo hosting to TheRPF.
    May 27, 2017, 5:46 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #32

It's possible his recollection of five or six Graflexes could actually have included the MPPs in that number.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    May 27, 2017, 9:38 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #33

Yeah, his wording is kind of vague.

"Then I made five or six of them. The two that I made went out to Tunisia, and then that’s the one that Obi-Wan brings out of his box and gives to Luke."

These sentences don't make sense. "The two that I made went out to Tunisia" could mean Luke and Obi-Wan's. We all know those two sabers were in Tunisia. And if at this point in the interview he's referring to all lightsabers, not just Graflex lightsabers, then "five or six" could refer to every lightsaber in the film. (Barring stunt sabers of course.) Two Vaders, two Obi-Wans, and one or two Lukes.

The most intriguing part of the interview is when he says, "I’ve still got mine." Could an ANH era hero lightsaber still exist in the private collection of Roger Christian? If so it's only a matter of time before it comes to light. Just like the ESB Vader and the Luke V2.
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    May 27, 2017, 10:27 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #34

Jedi Reali said: View Post
    The most intriguing part of the interview is when he says, "I’ve still got mine." Could an ANH era hero lightsaber still exist in the private collection of Roger Christian? If so it's only a matter of time before it comes to light. Just like the ESB Vader and the Luke V2.
    He said something similar on Instagram a few weeks back and I tried to get clarification but my comment went unnoticed
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 27, 2017, 10:41 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #35

there is a video on youtube where he is talking to a radio disc jockey and he has the saber on the table. he says its one of the originals but i thought people proved that wrong because of the grips. I'm going to try and dig that video up right now
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 27, 2017, 10:44 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #36

heck i found this a lot faster then i thought

roy is gonna love what he hears at 1:50
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 27, 2017, 10:54 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #37

another video with some real wicked close ups of the saber!!

13. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    May 27, 2017, 11:03 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #38

Well now wait a minute... in that second video he says towards the end "this is exactly duplicated..." and is motioning towards the grips and the bubble strip. So is this or is it not an original? Seems like perhaps only the bare Graflex might be one that he saved from 1976.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 27, 2017, 11:14 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #39

D48thRonin said: View Post
    Well now wait a minute... in that second video he says towards the end "this is exactly duplicated..." and is motioning towards the grips and the bubble strip. So is this or is it not an original? Seems like perhaps only the bare Graflex might be one that he saved from 1976.
    i know in the very beginning of the first video he talks like "this is THE ONE"
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 27, 2017, 11:33 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #40

D48thRonin said: View Post
    i just realized the grips tips aren't cut on the 30* angle!
    From
    South Carolina
    May 27, 2017, 11:35 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #41

halliwax said: View Post
    i just realized the grips tips aren't cut on the 30* angle!
    I was just about to say that
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 27, 2017, 11:38 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #42

russellsch said: View Post
    I was just about to say that
    these videos are so confusing... i just rewatched the first one and he states "that is exactly the one used"... now what happened to the bubbles and the grips? if this was the exact one used, because in the second video (which has to be filmed on the same day) he says the grips and bubble strips are exact replicas

From
    Los Angeles
    May 27, 2017, 11:54 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #43

Maybe the original grips rotted off and needing replacing
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    May 27, 2017, 11:57 PM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #44

Well damn. I never saw those! Yeah, in the first video he says "That's exactly the one that Obi-Wan Kenobi brings out of the trunk and gives to Luke" and my jaw dropped. Then in the second video he reveals it's "exactly duplicated as I made on the first one". It looks like it may be an early Folmer with straight pins and dull glass eye bezel, which is as we suspect the ANH prop to be. Bubble strip is beneath the rails. Looks to be seven t-track strips but with straight ends, not angled. They look a little short of the clamp too. Clamp is on the wrong side for ANH.

What's really interesting is he says "I left it for the moment so people could see but there's just chrome tape that went round it, that's all I did for the film because I thought I better hide the name." He's saying that in the film chrome tape covered the name, but he left that detail off of his replica.
  20. RPF Premium Member Psab keel's Avatar
    May 28, 2017, 12:03 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #45

These are excellent interviews and the host is asking some great questions! Thank you for posting these.
    From
    Los Angeles
    May 28, 2017, 12:03 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #46

TAPE! Oh ho!
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 28, 2017, 12:08 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #47

Well damn. I never saw those! Yeah, in the first video he says "That's exactly the one that Obi-Wan Kenobi brings out of the trunk and gives to Luke" and my jaw dropped. Then in the second video he reveals it's "exactly duplicated as I made on the first one". It looks like it may be an early Folmer with straight pins and dull glass eye bezel, which is as we suspect the ANH prop to be. Bubble strip is beneath the rails. Looks to be seven t-track strips but with straight ends, not angled. They look a little short of the clamp too. Clamp is on the wrong side for ANH.

What's really interesting is he says "I left it for the moment so people could see but there's just chrome tape that went round it, that's all I did for the film because I thought I better hide the name." He's saying that in the film chrome tape covered the name, but he left that detail off of his replica.
    YUP!! i found that funny since that was a hot topic yesterday! lol

SethS said: View Post
    TAPE! Oh ho!
    there ya go seth! i think thats enough proof to back you up!
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    May 28, 2017, 12:21 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #48

If there was tape on it during filming it probably covered the entire clamp band, Shared Stunt Luke style. Nowhere can we see the telltale shiny strip like in ESB screencaps.

Name:	tunisiafilming.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	732009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large lars homestead.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	5.84 MB 
ID:	732010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luke-obiwan-peering-into-lightsaber.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	732011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saberwiki_swcreators_anhcap3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	732012
  24. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    May 28, 2017, 12:23 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #49

He's saying that in the film chrome tape covered the name, but he left that detail off of his replica.
    Actually, if you look at 0:47 in the second video, you can see what appears to be tape residue on the clamp. Maybe he pulled the tape off the clamp before he took it to the studio for the interview.
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    May 28, 2017, 12:25 AM - Re: New Roger Christian Interview #50

I was under the impression they had to put tape on it for ESB because now the movie was a big deal, and they had to be careful and not get sued