Subscribe
    Jun 18, 2017, 1:43 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #451

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    Wow ... I reveal who made the illustrous OB1 ANH lightsaber . . . and no comments whatsoever . . . . . all you folks do is yapp about a stuck grenade . . . on and on ...

Cham
    It's my understanding that Roger Shaw was a set dresser, and did work on mostly background droids. There isn't anything in that block of text that explicitly mentions the Obi Wan saber. To the contrary, action props are specifically mentioned, and are different than hand props. A background droid that moves and blinks is an action prop i.e. it is in action during a scene. A hand prop is something carried by an actor to further character development, like a lightsaber.

To my mind, its more logical to assume that Roger Christian himself made the Obi Wan saber. He's never denied making that particular prop, he's very familiar with that prop, having scrutinized replicas of it before.
    The Obi Wan saber is esoteric, and Roger gets more milage from talking about the iconic props like the graflex and sterling.
    Last edited by scarf man; Jun 18, 2017 at 2:04 PM.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Jun 18, 2017, 3:14 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #452

Read quite a lot of the book (bought a copy a few months ago) don't recall reading anything about the Obi saber. To be honest my take on it was that felt like he had forgotten what was used on the props and when me mentioned things it was as though he got the info from here.
    It's very vague for example when he talks about the Macros he says they were simply super glued. And that a light was added to them so it lit up to look like Luke is viewing something. It might be what no one can put a finger on the mystery box perhaps it's some made up switch mechanism. Anyway wasn't anything in it for me to think it helps with anything your likely to build.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 18, 2017, 5:48 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #453

I have received part of a personal email conversation with Roger Christian and someone who likes to remain anonymous and I quote :

'Christian said that his friend, Roger Shaw was hired to set up a new department and created the Obi Wan sabers.'

That and the mentioning of Roger Shaw in his book of Roger Shaw setting up the same new department led me to conclude that Roger Shaw was the one who constructed OB1's lightsaber and perhaps that is the very reason of the lack of info in 'Cinema Alchemist' of Roger Christian's involvement in making said weapon of a more civilized age

Cham
    Jun 18, 2017, 6:12 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #454

I have received part of a personal email conversation with Roger Christian and someone who likes to remain anonymous and I quote :

'Christian said that his friend, Roger Shaw was hired to set up a new department and created the Obi Wan sabers.'

That and the mentioning of Roger Shaw in his book of Roger Shaw setting up the same new department led me to conclude that Roger Shaw was the one who constructed OB1's lightsaber and perhaps that is the very reason of the lack of info in 'Cinema Alchemist' of Roger Christian's involvement in making said weapon of a more civilized age

Cham
    You know me Chaim, I'm brisk and like to stick to the facts. Perhaps you could have included your anonymous correspondence in your original post?
    Anyway, now you must find this gentleman and have him assemble your vintage parts, only then will the circle be complete.

Sabers there is another....
  5. RPF Premium Member Reel Fakes's Avatar
    From
    Twin Cities
    Jun 18, 2017, 10:04 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #455

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Jun 18, 2017, 11:00 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #456

I honestly just liked the post because it revealed some info about possibly who made it, but I couldn't think of any avenues to look for the actual details we're searching for. I've been peacefully observing and thinking and only posting when I have something constructive

The weld idea is fascinating, would explain the bright upper neck, and a sloppier job would explain the crap on the emitter
    From
    UK
    Jun 20, 2017, 6:17 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #457

Forgive me if this is not the right thread or if it has been covered but which is the most authentic way of displaying the transistors? Both with washers or just one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Obi1.PNG 
Views:	41 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	737597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Obi2.PNG 
Views:	42 
Size:	868.8 KB 
ID:	737598
    Last edited by Kylo1; Jun 20, 2017 at 6:32 AM.
  8. RPF Premium Member userd1402's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jun 20, 2017, 6:27 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #458

Two washers in the Tunisia pictures, one in the Chronicles book pictures. You choose.
    From
    UK
    Jun 20, 2017, 6:46 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #459

Thanks David
    Jun 20, 2017, 7:30 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #460

It appears to me (as a complete newbie) that the majority of this thread go for a chronicles build... why is that? I'd have thought the Tunisia build, being seen on screen, would have been more common. Thoughts?
  11. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    Jun 20, 2017, 7:41 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #461

It seems your transistor are too high, I definitely think it's a low TO5 or TO99 capsule not a high.
    Height is about half the diameter for me.

My pommel is right side handwheel and not flippable, so my choosen version is a mix between tunisia and chronicle, meaning not flipped grenade, two washers, no cap,
    and right side on pommel cubes, and probably emitter cone if the tunisia has cone inside, and in that case would be the death star wanisnhing obi lightsaber too...seems the chronicle has no cone.

Name:	le mien vraie grenade.PNG 
Views:	55 
Size:	4.59 MB 
ID:	737601
    Wrong russrep windvane on the photo as my original ring is cracked I prefer to display the russrep in conventions.
    Tunisia version shot, even I don't flip the grenade for display, as it's easy to do I can flip it depending on what I want to show.
    Flipped grenade on tunisia is romans find if I'm correct, as the threads are identical on both sides, but head is deeper than bottom, once flipped the thread is partially visble.

Name:	tunisia.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	805.6 KB 
ID:	737600
    Last edited by parfaitelumiere; Jun 20, 2017 at 7:50 AM.
  12. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 20, 2017, 7:44 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #462

Hey @fezfox ! It could be that there are simply better photos of the Chronicles version. With better photos comes higher accuracy, more exact details for the specific parts, and less people telling you that you don't have a "correct" replica prop.

I have my Roman's Mk1 FX assembled that way for two reasons: one, it came with both washers and I knew I'd lose the other if I didn't use it, and two, If you invert the Roman's cubes in the pommel, there's a notch in the piece that looks weird because of the hole it creates at the very end of the cubes beneath the cap.

Ultimately, I think it's best to have both versions.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Jun 20, 2017, 11:45 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #463

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    Hey @fezfox ! It could be that there are simply better photos of the Chronicles version. With better photos comes higher accuracy, more exact details for the specific parts,
    If I had real parts I'd make a Chronicles version too, and for this reason. Even though I'm kinda partial to the Tunisia version. In the end my replica will probably contain elements of both.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 22, 2017, 10:08 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #464

Today I received a rather nicely weathered RE Balance Pipe, thanks Juan, ... and I tried my vintage cone connector to see if it would fit ... now since as I explained earlier the cone is a magnetic piece it clung to the steel RE emitter naturally ... alas a set screw inside the emitter is holding my vintage cone connector back from going in further for now ... anyhow I took some pictures ... in due time this will be attached inside my real Balance Pipe ... for now enjoy

Cham
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Sep 21, 2017 at 3:30 PM.
    From
    South Carolina
    Jun 22, 2017, 10:23 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #465

Dude! I'm jealous
    That looks great
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jun 22, 2017, 11:10 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #466

Today I received a rather nicely weathered RE Balance Pipe, thanks Juan, ... and I tried my vintage cone connector to see if it would fit ... now since as I explained earlier the cone is a magnetic piece it clung to the steel RE emitter naturally ... alas a set screw inside the emitter is holding my vintage cone connector back from going in further for now ... anyhow I took some pictures ... in due time this will be attached inside my real Balance Pipe ... for now enjoy

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps3bcnbqay.jpg

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...pserihx2gl.jpg

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...pswsk5axdw.jpg

Cham
    Wicked nice chaim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 22, 2017, 11:18 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #467

Thanks . . . I so love that it's a genuine vintage found part . . . of all the parts I gathered sofar only one is still a modern piece ... the washer . . . fingers crossed I'll find a vintage, as in 1976 or older, washer someday

Cham
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Jun 22, 2017 at 6:45 PM.
    Jun 22, 2017, 11:33 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #468

Cham
    The source is me. But the conversation itself was with prop collector and Roger. As my collector friend wants to keep it private he won't share the full conversation here. Sorry guys.

Roger Shaw did in fact make the OB1 saber and quite a few iconic props as well. Credits don't really mean anything if you think about older films since back then even cast members worked in art/prop department (just an example - Mark Hamill built a lot of Death Star sections, and was paid for it) and were credited just for acting.
    From
    South Carolina
    Jun 22, 2017, 11:52 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #469

LorduDesign said: View Post
    ?........ (just an example - Mark Hamill built a lot of Death Star sections, and was paid for it) and were credited just for acting.

Really? I never heard that. That's cool.
  20. RPF Premium Member juajn7fernandez's Avatar
    Jun 22, 2017, 2:35 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #470

missing her already... but glad it went to such a great person! I really tried to make that thing look like it came right off of the jet engine.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 22, 2017, 6:48 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #471

juajn7fernandez said: View Post
    missing her already... but glad it went to such a great person! I really tried to make that thing look like it came right off of the jet engine.
    Ah thanks, mate ... I do have a nice steel weathered ANM2 booster that goes well with your former emitter and a real vintage 'C' pommel

Cham
    From
    Vilshofen - Germany
    Jun 24, 2017, 9:50 AM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #472

Late to the party. Thanks for this thread. It is very entertaining and gives always an interesting read.
    Here's mine. All original vintage parts:

Click to the pic and go to the site to watch all 12 pictures I've made.
    Jun 24, 2017, 1:46 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #473

OK...have a bernzomatic.

I've tried 3 passes and no luck on the grenade/stem so far.

I've done 2 passes of about 15 seconds at each 90 degrees of the way around and 1 pass of 30 seconds and I don't think it's moved.

How long are you supposed to hit it with heat?

----------------

WOOT! SUCCESS

After that last pass i re-youtubed it and the video said after heating, let it cool until it's touchable and hit it with wd-40 (i used PB). and give it a few minutes to penetrate. I gave it 10.

My screwdrivers have been wusses and bending and nearly all have plastic handles (it touches metal it melts)....so i took a 1.25" screw, stuck it through the hole - the grabbed Mr. Monkey Wrench, clamped down on the screw and was prepared to to give it all i had.

....it was if the grenade said 'oh @#$%!! - I give up'. Took next to no effort and unscrewed WAAAYYYY to easily for all the @#$% it gave me the last week.

Couple pics forth coming and they're a bit oily since they were in PB the past week a good deal. Before being torched like a torture victim (hey, i wouldn't have to go that far had it cooperated sooner, so it's really all the grenades fault )

What's a good method to clean them of all the oil/grease before stripping the body and blueing?

Name:	2pc.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1,020.7 KB 
ID:	738436
    Last edited by cboath; Jun 24, 2017 at 2:25 PM. Reason: added pic
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jun 24, 2017, 6:45 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #474

Andymac84 said: View Post
    Late to the party. Thanks for this thread. It is very entertaining and gives always an interesting read.
    Here's mine. All original vintage parts:
    http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...psdabf1arh.jpg
    Click to the pic and go to the site to watch all 12 pictures I've made.
    Please add them pictures here since photobucket doesn't allow me access unless I unblock my add-blocker ... which I won't . . . and on top of that after I click your photo photobucket logs me out of my own photobucket too at the same time ... so I need to log back in ... very user-unfriendly it has become

Cham
  25. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 24, 2017, 8:51 PM - Re: The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group #475

cboath said: View Post
    What's a good method to clean them of all the oil/grease before stripping the body and blueing?
    Try mineral spirits and an old tooth brush, it should clean right up. Then dishsoap and water and dry it off with an old towel or microfiber cloth.

It looks like yours has similar cubes to @Sym-Cha 's!