Mysterio Build - SpiderMan

May I suggest:
-looking in the JfCustom's foam thread for an iron man foam chest with shoulder pads (I believe it was the Extremis 1 or 2 suit) with which the cape can be held up (instead of turning you into a cocoon with sphere on top)
-perhaps a round foam collar (classic iron man costume part,same thread as mentioned above) with custom narrow edge on the inside of the collar on which the sphere can rest,once put on your head.Perhaps add magnets to keep dome in place while moving?

As mentioned by others,you'd want to go for bulky body and tucked-in-cape dome for realism.
Rooting for you,F !

Hmm, I wonder if it would work to mirror the inside and then put LEDs all around the bottom cut edge, like this effect:

hqdefault.jpg

But instead of a logo it would be (hopefully) bouncing off the mirrored surface, disguising the interior even further. Something to play around with if you decide to light it.

Definitely do some light blocking though, so the light isn't seeping out the bottom of the chest. ;)

-Rog

May I suggest:
-looking in the JfCustom's foam thread for an iron man foam chest with shoulder pads (I believe it was the Extremis 1 or 2 suit) with which the cape can be held up (instead of turning you into a cocoon with sphere on top)
-perhaps a round foam collar (classic iron man costume part,same thread as mentioned above) with custom narrow edge on the inside of the collar on which the sphere can rest,once put on your head.Perhaps add magnets to keep dome in place while moving?

As mentioned by others,you'd want to go for bulky body and tucked-in-cape dome for realism.
Rooting for you,F !

I will take a look at that thread. Thank you so much. A foam collar is a great plan to keep everything comfortable and help with the proportions.

Keep Moving Forward.

Hmm, I wonder if it would work to mirror the inside and then put LEDs all around the bottom cut edge, like this effect:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/p8gj01VZQqA/hqdefault.jpg

But instead of a logo it would be (hopefully) bouncing off the mirrored surface, disguising the interior even further. Something to play around with if you decide to light it.

Definitely do some light blocking though, so the light isn't seeping out the bottom of the chest. ;)

-Rog

Ohh yes! That would look really cool!! Plus, if it helps the mirror effect that is just good multi tasking.
Haha yeah. I do like his chest piece as a support for the dome but not with the glow coming out. :)
Thanks!!

Keep Moving Forward.

Alright! I started my first cut on my globe and used the excess to test the Krylon Looking Glass paint. I am THRILLED with my results! We tested just a thin layer to see if there would be any visibility out of it and there IS! Yes!! Now we are marking the place where I will see out and will spray the rest with more layers around it.
621b9c31317066451c19135df9433474.jpg
5291ddb5b706001ea2280f2a221303fa.jpg
b4e0486bb80683448bb2c6d30bc7b79a.jpg
319d38ce649262abad8c9c408e402c4d.jpg
6d935f5d9722eaf7d4a7561764d815bb.jpg

Keep Moving Forward.

Here are the things I learnt from doing mine.

You need to get the fixing of the dome/globe sorted first. You need to look at some form of collar or shoulder pads to keep it from moving around,

Gold boots are very hard to come by, If you paint some, the paint comes off

It gets very hot inside the globe

You need to get some good muscle padding for the chest/abs

If I was going to do it I'd definitely set up a small box with a battery-powered (LiPo) fan to pipe air into the globe, making sure to leave a space for it to circulate back out again. Thinking of heat, fog, and oxygen.

-Rog

I'm may be a bit late to the party, but I must say I'm a fan of all the Spider-Man villains! Looks like you've got a great start on this! Looking forward to more progress and what you come up with for the lighting effects.

If I may input my 2 cents, as far as the one-way mirror effect goes, I recently came up with a method of my own and got really good results, being totally one-way and able to see thru quite nicely. If you have access to an airbrush (I think you can buy my same one for about $25) and Alclad Chrome, you'll get about the best surface finish I've seen for something like this without going the expensive vacuum metallizing route. If you're interested you can check out my method here, otherwise I'm really curious to see your method. :) Best of luck and can't wait to see more!

20150907_160228.jpg

I'm may be a bit late to the party, but I must say I'm a fan of all the Spider-Man villains! Looks like you've got a great start on this! Looking forward to more progress and what you come up with for the lighting effects.

If I may input my 2 cents, as far as the one-way mirror effect goes, I recently came up with a method of my own and got really good results, being totally one-way and able to see thru quite nicely. If you have access to an airbrush (I think you can buy my same one for about $25) and Alclad Chrome, you'll get about the best surface finish I've seen for something like this without going the expensive vacuum metallizing route. If you're interested you can check out my method here, otherwise I'm really curious to see your method. :) Best of luck and can't wait to see more!

View attachment 638510

Wow that looks terrific! If my original plan doesn't plan out I will definitely be trying this!! Thank you for sharing

Keep Moving Forward.

you could also get some sheets of mirrored auto tint and try that. the advantage there is that you can experiment with it and if the results are not to your liking you can simply remove it with no damage to the globe

you could also get some sheets of mirrored auto tint and try that. the advantage there is that you can experiment with it and if the results are not to your liking you can simply remove it with no damage to the globe

Won't be able to do that without creases or seam lines as the tint won't go round a sphere

I can help with the lighting if needed.

I suggest to use a simple Arduino.. and a Neopixel led strip (RGB leds with built in driver chip).. any color you want.. and individually addressable LEDS in the strip.

Almost any Arduino can drive a Neopixel strip.. (ie: ATTiny/Digispark..etc or even full blown Arduinos.. UNO. Nano, Pro-Micro's..etc)

battery pack needed will depend on how leds in your strip you use.

with some diffusion inside the 'globe'.. the whole thing could 'light up'..

I dont think edge lighting will do anything for you.. well... because you dont have any edges! LOL

ie:
tasm_display_6.jpg

It works on acrylic because.. there are 'edges' and/or there are etchings in the side.. that pick up the light. (you have neither) :)

I can help with the lighting if needed.

I suggest to use a simple Arduino.. and a Neopixel led strip (RGB leds with built in driver chip).. any color you want.. and individually addressable LEDS in the strip.

Almost any Arduino can drive a Neopixel strip.. (ie: ATTiny/Digispark..etc or even full blown Arduinos.. UNO. Nano, Pro-Micro's..etc)

battery pack needed will depend on how leds in your strip you use.

with some diffusion inside the 'globe'.. the whole thing could 'light up'..

I dont think edge lighting will do anything for you.. well... because you dont have any edges! LOL

ie: http://dmstudios.net/misc/TASM_display/tasm_display_6.jpg

It works on acrylic because.. there are 'edges' and/or there are etchings in the side.. that pick up the light. (you have neither) :)

That makes sense. Thanks for the tip! I will definitely look into the LED strip. How big are the battery packs? I wonder where I'd be able to hide it. In a utility belt maybe or under my cape? Or if it doesn't have a lot of give maybe in the globe base? Just thinking out loud here.

Keep Moving Forward.

Won't be able to do that without creases or seam lines as the tint won't go round a sphere

Yeah I've seen some with this and It looked more like aluminum foil. :/

I so far I'm liking the looking glass spray from Krylon. I did a second coat on it the other day and it's turning out nice, with good visibility. I'm going to ride it out for now and see how it pans out.

Keep Moving Forward.

Since the Neopixel strips need +5v to run... I would suggest a +7.4v li-ion pack.. (2 x 3.7v cells)..

I cant remeber the exact size (14500's? maybe).. but should fit in a 2 x AA battery holder.. the 18650 sized ones are more like shotgun shells.. (each)..

that will give you enough juice to power the Neopixel strip and the Arduino itself..

* You will need a voltage regulator to ensure the +7.4v pack is regulated down to +5v for the led strip.

I would line the base/bottom/inside of the bucket with the led strip... the battery pack can go anywhere you feel comfortable.. HOWEVER.. IMHO.. it might be best to figure out a way to secure it the helmet as well.. so you dont have wires running all over your body when you want to remove the dome. :)

Looks like the 'cloak/cape' covers up some of the bottom.. so it might hide both the led strip and the battery pack.

*Note: Neopixel strips MUST be used with a microcontroller (like an Arduino).. can not be used -standalone-..

But you can color mix.. blink... fade.. step.... do whatever.

You can try a single 3.7V battery with neopixels. Based on what I have read, the brightness will be lower, but it will work. You would also use a 3.3V arduino. I'm building something with a single 10440 (AAA size) and pixels, but the pixels haven't arrived yet. I also ordered a LED strip with single color LEDs that you can cut down to single segments (or use as strips). It was rated for 5V, so I'm expecting each segment to just be a resistor and LED. They should also light up with a 3.7V battery, but at lower brightness. I haven't been able to find LED strips designed for maximum current with a 4V (or 3.7V) supply voltage.

Yeah I have a few ideas on how to accomplish it. I ordered this which will get here tomorrow. I'm going to try Krylon Looking Glass spray to create a 2 way mirror effect. It works on some plastics but I'm going to test it on the acrylic.
7b3a11fe78a768ab4cb5a76f5862681f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. What size is that.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back