Mysterio Build - SpiderMan

Hey everyone!
I'm working on doing Mysterio as my cosplay for next year's Phoenix comicon. I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to cosplay but I've always found Mysterio to be a fun Villain with an interesting look. I thought it would be fun to kind of stylize his look to create something true to the source material yet a little more to what I think a real life version of him would be. I want to play with color variations, style and detail. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are most welcome.

8efd9d1458c66aed18b10468f2812627.jpg
78a4f3d280d332e903d0a489e48084df.jpg
562ad9cd2bc9422b3bcfebca4b092ef6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something about that giant dome always makes Mysterio a cool character to cosplay as. You already know what you're doing for the sphere and the green suit?

Something about that giant dome always makes Mysterio a cool character to cosplay as. You already know what you're doing for the sphere and the green suit?

Yeah I have a few ideas on how to accomplish it. I ordered this which will get here tomorrow. I'm going to try Krylon Looking Glass spray to create a 2 way mirror effect. It works on some plastics but I'm going to test it on the acrylic.
7b3a11fe78a768ab4cb5a76f5862681f.jpg

I love that Looking Glass spray. It's pricey, but really useful for the mirrored look. I'm excited to see what you do!

Me too! I tried it on a thin plastic and was able to see through it while keeping it mirrored on the other side but the thicker plastics made it not possible to see through. :/ I'll keep posting updates on how it goes.

ForceAfterCoffe: Awesome project for an awesome villain,one of my favorites btw.I am very curious to see the result of your hard work.
With regard to the paint: what about using glass paint? it worked on my plastic eyes for my Beetle costume

Last edited by a moderator:
@ForceAfterCoffe: Awesome project for an awesome villain,one of my favorites btw.I am very curious to see the result of your hard work.
With regard to the paint: what about using glass paint? it worked on my plastic eyes for my Beetle costume

What kind of glass paint? Different than the Looking Glass paint?

Keep Moving Forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Decor Fin - Glass Transparent colour from a small jar to paint the plastic and after one (undiluted) layer I could (still) see through.
I am not sure whether this applies to your situation,but the paint is most definitely transparent after just one layer.

I used Decor Fin - Glass Transparent colour from a small jar to paint the plastic and after one (undiluted) layer I could (still) see through.
I am not sure whether this applies to your situation,but the paint is most definitely transparent after just one layer.

Ohhh cool!! Thank you for the suggestion! That's definitely work a look. I'll be interested to see if that is a better way to go.

Keep Moving Forward.

Side note: this paint does not create a mirror effect on the dome aside from the plastic reflecting light,so you can still look inward.I would compensate the transparency with a black zentai mask underneath.

b8392addc8f889c7c88726b4e2cb36a0.jpg
my dome arrived today. I love that it is lightweight yet feels durable, it's perfect for a helmet. I'm super happy with it. My next plan is to use a dremel to cut a hole big enough for my head and test the paint on the scraps before figuring out what is going to work.

Keep Moving Forward.

I think the #1 thing about Mysterio is the correct bulk from the chest up. It's very easy to have a candy apple look, so I would concentrate on proportion. I have literally never seen a Mysterio costume that looked right 100%. Go for it and be the first! :)

Also, it's going to be hard to get the one-way mirror effect, since there's really no actual way to have light go one way but not the other. The one-way mirror effect relies on one side being darker. So what I would do is spray the mirror coating on the entire inside, but then put a dark light-blocking layer over most of it, leaving just the face to see out of. I've only seen one perfect mirror globe used but it was actual glass (a lawn ornament), which would worry me too much I think. But most people just sort of mist silver paint on the inside or frost it, so that's the second thing I would try really hard with and do lots of experiments.

-Rog

I think the #1 thing about Mysterio is the correct bulk from the chest up. It's very easy to have a candy apple look, so I would concentrate on proportion. I have literally never seen a Mysterio costume that looked right 100%. Go for it and be the first! :)

Also, it's going to be hard to get the one-way mirror effect, since there's really no actual way to have light go one way but not the other. The one-way mirror effect relies on one side being darker. So what I would do is spray the mirror coating on the entire inside, but then put a dark light-blocking layer over most of it, leaving just the face to see out of. I've only seen one perfect mirror globe used but it was actual glass (a lawn ornament), which would worry me too much I think. But most people just sort of mist silver paint on the inside or frost it, so that's the second thing I would try really hard with and do lots of experiments.

-Rog

I totally agree! I know that I absolutely do not want to look like a space man haha. It's really important to me that my depiction of Mysterio is more of a serious one, not making him look to campy or comical. Hopefully I achieve that!
Yeah that's a good suggestion as to how to go about it and I think that maybe the way to go. I just need to be able to see out of a small section of it so hopefully I can make it look seemless. This will be all trial and error.
I looked at lawn ornaments and security camera covers as options but I'd be terrified of shattering them! Also the weight would probably be an issue.

Keep Moving Forward.

One thing I've noticed is that Mysterio's cape/cowl usually comes almost halfway up the globe, but most people put the globe on top of the cape. It's almost more like it's a half-sphere in appearance as he's depicted in comics and such. I'd definitely keep that in mind, even if that involves creating some kind of shoulder pads.

There's also the version where the top is spherical but the sides are straight, like a cylinder, which looks odd to me. Even fewer versions have just a ball sitting on the shoulders, but I guess there is precedent for all those folks.

-Rog

One thing I've noticed is that Mysterio's cape/cowl usually comes almost halfway up the globe, but most people put the globe on top of the cape. It's almost more like it's a half-sphere in appearance as he's depicted in comics and such. I'd definitely keep that in mind, even if that involves creating some kind of shoulder pads.

There's also the version where the top is spherical but the sides are straight, like a cylinder, which looks odd to me. Even fewer versions have just a ball sitting on the shoulders, but I guess there is precedent for all those folks.

-Rog

Yeah the half glove is what I'm thinking. These are my rough sketches of how I want them to look. Go easy, I'm no artist haha but this is the general globe shape I'm going for, more of a half globe. I also like the way it looks when it angles forward, creating a higher cape in the back.
2b20bc86ead9afa50c7aaee1bb9e0034.jpg
55937e3264fa784f03c97d27adb02dcf.jpg

Keep Moving Forward.

Wow, can't wait to see this finished! This will be awesome! Also, as like a minor feature, maybe you should add some sort of Mysterio Worthy "magic" :lol But that's just a suggestion.

Wow, can't wait to see this finished! This will be awesome! Also, as like a minor feature, maybe you should add some sort of Mysterio Worthy "magic" :lol But that's just a suggestion.

Yes!! I definitely want to add some flair! I'm sort of trying to plan the perfect costume and then work backwards to reality. :)
Ideally I'd love to do some kind of lighting that I can control. Maybe a strobe light or something. I'm still in the planning stage as of right now. :)
This lighting is really cool I think, I'd love to do something similar.
4b78614c81c4f3855bdd1784c6b90a27.jpg

Keep Moving Forward.

Yes!! I definitely want to add some flair! I'm sort of trying to plan the perfect costume and then work backwards to reality. :)
Ideally I'd love to do some kind of lighting that I can control. Maybe a strobe light or something. I'm still in the planning stage as of right now. :)
This lighting is really cool I think, I'd love to do something similar. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160611/4b78614c81c4f3855bdd1784c6b90a27.jpg

Keep Moving Forward.
HOLY COW! That looks absolutely amazing! Keep up the amazing work!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back