Walking Dead - Daryl Dixon's New Bike Replica Build

It was actually quite the process:

Tried bending the curve by hand using a PVC coupler I had that was the correct diameter, I could only get so far with the bend before it became difficult to close it. So I went out and picked up a ring roller from Harbor Freight. This made it easier, however, it "cupped" the metal as it formed the ring. So once I welded it closed, I had to sit there and grind the surface of the ring flat. This probably took the better part of 2 hours.

In order to shape the perforated metal, I had to build a die to press the sheet through the rings in order to get a perfect fit and the curved edges. The first time pressing it through, the weld on the ring failed and I had to fix that. At that point, I created a block of wood that the ring would sit inside and would not allow it to expand while pressing in the die and sheet of metal. This seemed to work the best. All in all, the exhaust caps took the better part of 6 hours to make.

It was actually quite the process:

Tried bending the curve by hand using a PVC coupler I had that was the correct diameter, I could only get so far with the bend before it became difficult to close it. So I went out and picked up a ring roller from Harbor Freight. This made it easier, however, it "cupped" the metal as it formed the ring. So once I welded it closed, I had to sit there and grind the surface of the ring flat. This probably took the better part of 2 hours.

In order to shape the perforated metal, I had to build a die to press the sheet through the rings in order to get a perfect fit and the curved edges. The first time pressing it through, the weld on the ring failed and I had to fix that. At that point, I created a block of wood that the ring would sit inside and would not allow it to expand while pressing in the die and sheet of metal. This seemed to work the best. All in all, the exhaust caps took the better part of 6 hours to make.

Wahoo! It gave you a hardwork!!! However the result is perfect, you did an awesome job!

For my part, I made some progress on the welds like you can see on the pics.
I will buy the tires soon. The electric harness scares me, I don't like work in electricity...

20180119_154457_resized.jpg20180119_154504_resized.jpg20180119_154424_resized.jpg20180119_154528_resized.jpg20180119_154519_resized.jpg

Good to heard nladyman!

Anyone here a decent mechanic that can help me with my nighthawk? Turns out to be a little more work than I expected

https://imgur.com/a/dvZfi

If you could list places where I can get the things I need like the R6 forks or some basic shocks it would be much appreciated :)

Anyone here a decent mechanic that can help me with my nighthawk? Turns out to be a little more work than I expected

https://imgur.com/a/dvZfi

If you could list places where I can get the things I need like the R6 forks or some basic shocks it would be much appreciated :)

Nice find on the bike.

Literally everything you need to source parts and build this bike is in this thread. Just take your time and read through it from start to finish a few times. Primary sources for parts would be eBay, and mikexs. A few pages in to my thread I even posted a very detailed parts list with part numbers and quantities.

I will tell you this, if you are not familiar with metal fabrication or bikes in general, this may not be something you want to tackle on your own. But determination is key for this build. I'm going on almost 2 years of a few hours here and there, and all I have left is the under seat bag. That being said:

To address your specific items in the Imgur link:

- Acorn nuts can be found here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Honda...CVY-Zwy:sc:USPSFirstClass!33559!US!-1&vxp=mtr

- Intake pods are sold by Seth Ingram, see my post towards the beginning of the thread for his website.

- Scratch can be filled with body filler prior to painting

- Yes, that is where the battery goes. See my earlier posts in the thread that details this.

- The stock tank is not used, so the dent really doesnt matter. You can pull it with a dent puller, take it to a body shop, or use the screen accurate tank from a XS650.

- I have a set of stock forks for sale on eBay right now if you do not plan on doing the R6 front end conversion https://www.ebay.com/itm/232646353553?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

- Dont worry about the rust on the exhaust, the bike is supposed to look used and dirty

- I have a set of stock rear shocks that are in much better shape I can sell you. Otherwise the show bike uses Progressive 970s.

- The are rubber tank mounting pads, ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Honda...ash=item3618027d71:g:c~QAAOxyffZSWGw-&vxp=mtr

- Rust on the cutoff section can be removed with sandpaper, angle grinder, disc sander, etc..

- Seat pan can be templated with cardboard, then transferred to steel and cut out.

I think that covers them all, let me know if you need anything else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice find on the bike.

Literally everything you need to source parts and build this bike is in this thread. Just take your time and read through it from start to finish a few times. Primary sources for parts would be eBay, and mikexs. A few pages in to my thread I even posted a very detailed parts list with part numbers and quantities.

I will tell you this, if you are not familiar with metal fabrication or bikes in general, this may not be something you want to tackle on your own. But determination is key for this build. I'm going on almost 2 years of a few hours here and there, and all I have left is the under seat bag. That being said:

I think that covers them all, let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks a bunch! Yeah this definitely is gonna take a while and being that I'm saving up for college I may only get to do a few small things at a time, I'm definitely gonna use this build as an inspiration and kinda make it with my own twist :)

I'm so lucky I found the exact Nighthawk down to the year for such a good deal with only 20,000 I'm excited to get out on the road!

The box of magic will include the stem swap and a screen accurate upper.

The Yamaha stem is several inches too short to be used on the Nighthawk frame, so Classified is taking the Nighthawk stem and putting it on the Yamaha lower. Once it comes back, I will have a screen accurate swap :)

As for the machined part, Im going to try a few things and see what gives the closest look.

Hey,
I‘m new here, following this thread since a few days.
Really nice Bikes, and great Infos.
I also wanna do a rebuild of this bike, but I guess I‘ll get some troubles here in Germany (with the exhaust, for example). We will see.

But I have a question about the R6 Fork.
You said the R6 stem is too short. Why did you send it to Classified Motors, it wasn’t possible to do it by yourself?

I‘m asking because I don‘t want send this parts from Germany to Classified Motors.

I don‘t understand the problem or what Classified did exactly.
Maybe you can explain me, with some pictures?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

They essentially cut the stem in half and lengthen it so that it will clear the Nighthawk frame. While within the realm of possibility to do on one's own, I would rather pay a professional to do it since it it a critical part of the bike's safety.

Which parts did you send to them?
Sorry, my english is not the best, so I don’t understand everything exactly.

This parts from the Nighthawk?
191045cb21bf798b6bcbcf115fda5b11.jpg

And something from the R6 fork, too?
This?
30067c78f62c5759c7f64cf6e8035a00.jpeg

At the store of Classified Motors Homepage I saw what they need for the modification.

But another question:
Is it possible to use an R6 frontend from 2006 or 2007?

Because at the beginning of this thread you say 2008 - 2014

Thank you

At the store of Classified Motors Homepage I saw what they need for the modification.

But another question:
Is it possible to use an R6 frontend from 2006 or 2007?

Because at the beginning of this thread you say 2008 - 2014

Thank you

You should be able to, but I believe the gold dot calipers started in 08.

You should be able to, but I believe the gold dot calipers started in 08.

I found one gold fork on eBay, with gold dot calipers. Seller says it’s from 2006 or 2007. That’s why I‘m asking. But maybe he is wrong.

Alright, i'm on the verge of starting this as a project as well. Even though I'm slightly daunted by the complexity and amount of work. At this point there a a few questionmarks that I havent seen covered in this thread (or overlooked.. or just didn't understand...) Pehaps you guys can help me out with a few questions?

First, is the amount of welding. The stuff I think that needs to be done:
Curved bar for the seat (to replace chopped of end)
6 loops to the frame (for the bag)
frame mount for the (fake) kick starter
Frame mount for the ignition
Seat mount
Tank mount (on the tank itself)
Tank mount on the frame
Tank curvy mounts on the backbone
Bracket for the battery
Front mesh thingy between the forks (and a few wires over the light)
Perhaps steering stops? (Are they necessary?)
Bracket for the ECU? (Or do you just bolt this to the seat pan?)

Am I missing anything here?

Secondly, about the electrics: Are you using the wiring harness from the nighthawk? Or is it all custom wiring?

Third, does the bike need mufflers? In the few video's a saw, the bike sounded acceptably loud, but it's hard to asses from video. Any ideas on a decent muffler if I should want one?

And finally, I'd still have to check the regulatory issues. I'm going to mount the license plate on the crossbow mount. But I don't know what I'm going to do with the indicators (other than perhaps just risk a ticket ;-) In the front they could be mounted on the handlebar, but I'd be open for suggestions on the back. (Since I'm not gonna drive around with a real crossbow, I might make a faux wooden one and mount the indicator lights in that...)

Anyway, If I do start this build, I'll probably haunt this thread with questions and general despair for the next year or so.. So let me apologize in advance ;-)

I'll try to address each item based on my build.

First, is the amount of welding. The stuff I think that needs to be done:
Curved bar for the seat (to replace chopped of end) - yes
6 loops to the frame (for the bag) - it's actually 8, there are 2 on the lower rear corners (one on each side)
frame mount for the (fake) kick starter - yes
Frame mount for the ignition - No, its just a small plate that comes with the ignition. It bolts to an existing point on the frame
Seat mount - yes
Tank mount (on the tank itself) - yes
Tank mount on the frame - yes
Tank curvy mounts on the backbone - yes
Bracket for the battery - yes
Front mesh thingy between the forks - yes
Perhaps steering stops? - yes, they are absolutely necessary since the tree hits the tank without them.
Bracket for the ECU? - yes

Things you missed:
Front fender mount
Rear fender mount
Kickstarter mesh insert
Mesh exhaust caps

Secondly, about the electrics: Are you using the wiring harness from the nighthawk? Or is it all custom wiring?

- Its the factory harness that has been shortened or extended in the necessary places.

Third, does the bike need mufflers? In the few video's a saw, the bike sounded acceptably loud, but it's hard to asses from video. Any ideas on a decent muffler if I should want one?

- Mine does not have them. It is completely open. You will need to get the necessary carb tuning kit for open exhaust and pod filters.

As for the indicators and license plate. I have pictures of mine in the thread. You can make them out of LEDs, but you will need to swap the relay out with the one in that post a coupld of pages back. There are plenty of choices, from fork mounted turn signals, to handlebar ones. Its really up to you. Hope this helps.

I’ve been searching around for a rear hoop to put on the bike but I don’t want to buy the wrong one. Do you guys have someone in mind on eBay ? I just don’t have the tools or a shop near me to bend it.

I’ve been searching around for a rear hoop to put on the bike but I don’t want to buy the wrong one. Do you guys have someone in mind on eBay ? I just don’t have the tools or a shop near me to bend it.

TYUI Moto Universel 230mm Rétro Upswept Coup de Pied Arrière Siège Cadre Hoop Boucle 1 "25mm Tracker Fin café Racer
http://s.aliexpress.com/uqaMjmYV?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard
(from AliExpress Android)

I took this one and it fits perfectly...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back