Thorssoli's First Order Builds - Captain Phasma FINISHED on Page 21!

Re: Thorssoli's Episode VII Builds (Flametrooper Progress Continues on P12)

Pleeease tell me it'll be available as a kit. I've been looking for Flametrooper armor for some time.
(I promise I'll try not to look too ridiculous in it.. I'm rather tall.)

Pleeease tell me it'll be available as a kit. I've been looking for Flametrooper armor for some time.
(I promise I'll try not to look too ridiculous in it.. I'm rather tall.)

Tall could be good. It'll be optimized for someone 6' tall, but taller just means slightly larger gaps between the armor plates.

Progress continues. The chest plate is looking good at this point:
26827513904_90d9da472b_c.jpg

The last pieces that were carved included the knee plate, the lower back plate, and the waist plate:

I still have to assemble the carved parts for the upper arms. In the meantime, I've gotten a start smoothing out the rib plates and the pieces that wrap around the back of the thighs:

I'd probably be making faster progress, but I keep being compelled to tape everything together and goof around:

I still need to get started on an incinerator:

While that's going on, I'm also making similar progress on the Snowtrooper parts:

The first part I'll finish will likely be the backpack:

Everything just need a bit more filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and...

Love it! And the cheesy grin too haha!

I NEED that pack!! That's sick!! All of it looks great, congrats on a job well done!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Looks great, one thing that would be awesome would be to consider the backplate and making it stronger than normal. This will have to be where where everyone will need to join the tanks to the suit. So any strength in here will be welcome. We'll all have to do it ourselves to costume. If not it will be a single point of failure in all armours for this trooper. Just a thought.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Tall could be good. It'll be optimized for someone 6' tall, but taller just means slightly larger gaps between the armor plates.

I'm 6'6".. So it'll be interesting. I've made a Clone suit work, I can make this work!

Everything just looks awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great, one thing that would be awesome would be to consider the backplate and making it stronger than normal. This will have to be where where everyone will need to join the tanks to the suit. So any strength in here will be welcome. We'll all have to do it ourselves to costume. If not it will be a single point of failure in all armours for this trooper. Just a thought.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I have the Hot Toys figure for the flametrooper. There are two points. The backplate that holds the backpack, and the belt. The Backpack hooks onto the belt as well to hold it stable and upright.

I NEED that pack!!

There's a chance I'll make more than one...

Looks great, one thing that would be awesome would be to consider the backplate and making it stronger than normal.

I'll be molding this armor and laying it up in fiberglass. All of it will be stronger than "normal." But yes, the back will probably be laid up a bit thicker than the rest.

UPDATE

The flametrooper chest is almost completely smoothed out:
27405113221_66d06566ce_c.jpg

There's a few more pieces coming along right behind it:
27405118271_7ff9a54291_c.jpg

27442521936_7ebcef804a_c.jpg

27442520286_1aa1bc84a2_c.jpg

27442519096_44f4987218_c.jpg

I've decided to go ahead and make a slightly larger version of the biceps for Phasma and the standard trooper:
27442524276_8a4d0f754c_c.jpg

I'm also working on a slightly larger set of hand plates:
27405126871_92ec6600b8_c.jpg

And I've made a bit of progress on the thermal detonator:
27442526476_103703a935_c.jpg

Finally, the snowtrooper pack is getting a bit more attention too:
27442528406_ab06c83098_c.jpg

Looking awesome!
Please let me know when you're done with the kit! I am 6'6 and I really want one!!!!!

Your builds are so fun to watch. Everything you make is awesome!

Nice mold work on the baton, i keep messing up whenever I try to do a 2-part mold so that looks helpful. Those TIE/Phasma/Flame trooper helmets doe, hnngh so good.

How exactly did you form the lens's for the Flametrooper, I saw the 'lens box' photo mentioned in passing how do you use/make it?

How exactly did you form the lens's for the Flametrooper, I saw the 'lens box' photo mentioned in passing how do you use/make it?

I didn't make a lens box for the flametroopers. Instead, I just cooked a strip of tinted acrylic in a toaster oven until it was soft and flexible, then I laid it in place inside the helmet so that it could cool and harden in place. In hindsight, it might have been better to just cover the inside of the eye slit with black mesh fabric. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the acrylic fogging up.

UPDATE (finally)...

I apologize for being absent from the forum for the past six or seven weeks. I had a rushed commission job come up and it ended up sucking the life out of me for the 39 long, grueling days I spent building it. If you were at San Diego Comic Con, you may have seen this sharp-looking guy out and about helping promote the new Schick Hydro razor:
28238897880_6677e99eae_c.jpg
27906694053_156e6d6576_c.jpg

Once that was finished, I came back to find my shop in a bit of disarray:
28416681502_4dd88eef93_c.jpg

To the untrained eye, it probably looks like my standard workshop disaster scene, but with the mad rush build just finished, it took me a couple of days to sort out where my helpers had misplaced much of my tools and take stock in all of my materials so I could place some orders and get back into the swing of things.

Then I started fiberglassing things again:
28623655305_e0751fa3fd_c.jpg

I'd already glassed the first half of the chest mold for the Flametrooper some weeks ago, but it wasn't until a couple of days ago that I finally got around to the bottom half:
28034633423_67a7695ac4_c.jpg

So that's done. I still need to mold the shins and the upper arms. That, and get started on the backpack tanks and flamethrower. Soon...

In the meantime, my molds for the TIE Pilot chest boxes decided to fail. That's the bad news. The good news is that it finally gave me a chance to address a few minor inaccuracies I had on my original prototypes. After smoothing out a set of the cast parts, they looked about like so:
28566641206_74df28ce2b_c.jpg

Most of the changes are pretty subtle. I decided to make the latch for the middle box as a separate casting. Same goes for the square buttons on the left box. The biggest change was moving the fork on top of the right box so that it would be (correctly) off-center.

Then they were boxed up for molding:
28338738900_55bab8f262_c.jpg

The detail bits were molded separately:
28006202384_a1918fb3c1_c.jpg

The molds came out much better this time:
28650976955_774804f9a0_c.jpg

The castings came out pretty good:
28543973412_4380f22116_c.jpg

They should look great once they're painted and assembled:
28650975965_218f40e885_c.jpg

I'm about to be on the road again for the next week or so, but once I get back I'll be painting up a few sets of TIE pilot parts as well as (finally) finishing up a complete Captain Phasma. Then it's on to the Flametrooper while I try to talk myself out of building a bunch of Rogue One stuff...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back