Floquil Railroad Colors Lacquer and Enamel Paint Survey

stonky, thank you for posting the information on how to color adjust these...very helpful...I will need to remove my comparatively lame advice ;)

So now I wonder, is it possible to scan in a raw format? If that's ideal, maybe we can get them that way strait off the scanner? (I looked a bit into it, but only saw a way using a program called Vuescan to get 'unprocessed' scan data into RAW format)

But this way of processing the TIF's is fairly simple and works well, so I'm satisfied that we are able to get pretty good color correct images.

I think we could move forward with the scans whenever -... . .- --..http://www.therpf.com/member.php?u=4 is able, again thanks to you -... . .- --.. (not easy to type that name,lol) for being so generous by painting/scanning these!

I think we could move forward with the scans whenever -... . .- --.. is able, again thanks to you -... . .- --.. (not easy to type that name,lol) for being so generous by painting/scanning these!

Agreed, on all fronts! I'm looking forward to Grime and Reefer White, amongst others. :)

Nice work being done here, guys! I will have to give Stonky's color correction method a shot. Thank you all for making this happen.

Thanks, good resource!

The trouble is I guess that we don't know how they arrived at their values so we can't reverse engineer them. As a comparison, here's our "corrected" caboose red on the left beside their caboose red, on the right:

caboose_red_comparison.jpg

Big difference. :)

As for the accuracy of www.art-paints colors, well although a few do seem to match 'ok', their caboose red looks way off, even if you adjust for the brightness it is either too brown or to pink, IMHO...I believe we are getting our colors much closer to the actual paint colors...

caboose_adjusted.jpg

I have used that site before, I also have used a few others for paint color comparisons...another good one is The Scale Modeler Paint Finder it has the Floquil / Pollyscale colors in there data base as well as many other brands, you can find color matches across brands too...

http://paintfinder.ehaltom.com/load_colors.php?line=47

Another useful source is an app for the iphone/ipod/ipad called imodelkit it also has the Floquil / Pollyscale colors and lets you mix colors to try and match a color, very useful, it can do a few other things as well...I just use the free version (its the same with ads)...one cool thing is you can edit the color data base and add your own colors.

http://www.id6.ch

Last edited:
I wonder how many of the www.art-paints colors are off. Maybe it is only a few. Perhaps some incorrect ones are actually correct for other incorrect ones, as if the data didn’t get put with the right names…like a clerical error. It makes sense since they try to tackle an enormous amount of paints.

Have errors been noticed in the data for the The Scale Modeler Paint Finder site?

Mark

Here's a Caboose Red comparison between all of the previously posted online paint color resources, as compared to ours:

caboose_red_comparison.jpg

To my eye ours is the closest, but maybe I'm biased. :) I'd love to get as many of these as we can into a compiled document.

I've seen a list but I can't seem to find it. Moffeaton has suggested in the past that the MR Snowspeeder's base color grey is a good match to a number of vehicles (the factory matched his master, which was a match to the original) - I'll shoot mine with a chart this weekend and post the results.

I know that's it's commonly held that Floquil's Reefer White and Grime played big roles. I'd love to know what the blue-grey, yellow, and green were on the X-Wing, although my suspicion is that the blue-grey is the same color that was used on the TIEs, which we have a present day match for (Tamiya TS32?).

Not necessarily Floquil related but this is what I got for the MR Snowspeeder base color (although the color changes very subtly across the craft):

mr_snowspeeder2.jpg

I tried to sample a section without any of the weathering overspray, I wonder if it'll line up against any of the Floquil colors.

Here's what I got for TS-32 (widely considered to be a match to the original TIE Pactra Stormy Sea Blue color):

TS-32.jpg

Again, not really Floquil related, apologies if I'm hijacking. :)

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure only the ESB and ROTJ TIEs (standard, bomber and Interceptor) was painted stormy sea blue (with a rattle can).
Im almost certain they used floquil and airbrushed it for the ANH TIEs.

I believe Lorne say the TIE Fighters were stormy sea blue in his book, but I wont be surprised if he get the different TIE paints mixed up... That would not be the first time ! :D and it was so long ago !

Yes, you're right of course, my mistake - I should have also clarified by saying that it was a match to the Edlund auction TIE, specifically. :)

Yeah all we need now is the. Next time someone shoots the falcons hold up the colour checker in the background

How's this:

ANH_MF_colorCheckerProfiled_sRGB_001.jpg

-----
(Image Info)

Shot in Canon Raw (.cr2)
Camera Color Space: Adobe 1998
Camera Profiled and Lightroom Developed: using ColorChecker Passport (Adobe 1998)
Color Temp: 4950 K
Tint: +14
the RPF posted JPG Color Space: sRGB
------

Regards,

Andre

Here's a before and an after:

colour_correct.jpg

It looks like there's a blueish light hitting the model that isn't hitting the chart (you can see the light casting hard shadows on the model and on the base), assuming that this image wasn't altered before you posted it here. :) I think that you had mentioned in the past that your photos came from the 2013 Indianapolis exhibit, I'll check my pictures from the same exhibit to see if I can see what the source of that light was.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back