Distressed aluminium tape and kitchen foil using egg shells (oops, wrong forum - sorry)

JimmyB

I figured this might come in useful for anyone who's not too keen on metallic paints (like me). Given the fragility of bare metal foil for models, I've been experimenting with self-adhesive aluminium foil tape that's normally used for insulation and lagging (50mm x 45m for £4.49) in preparation for a customised Hasbro Jedi ETA2, and the results have been very promising after the tape is sanded down, especially in one direction to make it look like brushed or machined metal.

I also remembered reading that boiling kitchen foil with egg shells discolours the foil and makes it looks old and distressed, which would be excellent for slightly panel different shades, or for engines etc. So, I put some foil and self-adhesive tape into a pan of boiling water with a single egg shell from lunch. The longer you leave it in, the darker it goes. Results below. It should be obvious which are the control pieces and which have been boiled with egg shells. The tape adhesive has surprisingly held up, perhaps because the backing paper is waxed or something.

modelmaking 001.JPG

Great experiment and great results(y)(y) For the "brushed alu" look I also use scouring pads or 180 grit sandpaper ;)
I used a small cut-out hole in a piece of cardboard and used 180 grit to make my V.K. arm looking like machined alu also.

1710696029967.png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back