TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Well, like I've said many times before I have to disagree about the length. I believe they're all the way to the bottom of the hilt. However, that's actually secondary to the fact that their appears to be two different grip heights. Meaning they are tall like the fathead poster. To me the snow scene saber seems to have tall grips. Of course until we can pull a screen shot it's anyone's guess but the reference material I have there is a discrepancy between Mazs box saber and the one in the snow. This would indicate two props regardless of grip length...which I still believe is long.

It's okay if you think that. Since we can't see the bottom of the fathead saber, right now there is no way to tell for sure, unless someone could measure using the top of the grip and measure to where the notch is cutout and compare it to the length of the known short grip saber.

If the distance is the same, then the tall grip fathead saber has short grips as well.

However the snow scene saber has short grips.

So it looks like the length from the bottom of the t track to the rivet is 1/2"?
Also, is the gap for the rivet just a solid 6mm?

the guys on TCSS are figuring that space between the bottom of the graflex and the grips at 2mm? do we have any idea of exactly what measurement we are going with? i thought in 1 picture it looked like the space was the same thickness as the D ring itself, i haven't photo shopped for accuracy but just judging by eye

the guys on TCSS are figuring that space between the bottom of the graflex and the grips at 2mm? do we have any idea of exactly what measurement we are going with? i thought in 1 picture it looked like the space was the same thickness as the D ring itself, i haven't photo shopped for accuracy but just judging by eye

It doesn't matter as they have access to the same things we do for making said judgement. In other words, wait for the blu-ray.

Here's my preliminary version of January.
I can and will update it when more information is available.

Luke-Rey-TFA.jpg

Roy

Last edited:
That looks gorgeous. How snug is the fit? Does it want to slide around on you or is it pretty secure?

Thank you! Here's a second version in a darker color- in the screencap of the lightsaber in Maz's chest (and in the Visual Dictionary), the clamp overlay seems to be a darker tone than the rest of the flash, so for this second version I used a material that looked closer to that.

That lower right photo shows what it looks like with the end lifted up as with one of the Launch Bay sabers...

The material is a self adhesive vinyl, not metal, but it seems to look the part. Since it's essentially a sticker, it doesn't shift around at all.

I do think it's entirely possible and maybe likely that the Wired and hero movie sabers had a metal overlay (the black and white hi res photo is compelling with how it lifts slightly above the rectangles), but those Launch Bay props look more like this method IMO... and maybe this could work for the hero too :)

V2 has the other color overlay on a Roman clamp, and the flash has an original clamp.

View attachment 581870

Roy

as always looks amazing roy!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! Here's a second version in a darker color- in the screencap of the lightsaber in Maz's chest (and in the Visual Dictionary), the clamp overlay seems to be a darker tone than the rest of the flash, so for this second version I used a material that looked closer to that.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1701/24507971262_0ca5a3095d_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1446/24248550159_d39ab38685_c.jpg

That lower right photo shows what it looks like with the end lifted up as with one of the Launch Bay sabers...

The material is a self adhesive vinyl, not metal, but it seems to look the part. Since it's essentially a sticker, it doesn't shift around at all.

I do think it's entirely possible and maybe likely that the Wired and hero movie sabers had a metal overlay (the black and white hi res photo is compelling with how it lifts slightly above the rectangles), but those Launch Bay props look more like this method IMO... and maybe this could work for the hero too :)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1502/24616705075_e5cfa806b7_c.jpg

V2 has the other color overlay on a Roman clamp, and the flash has an original clamp.

you nailed it!

View attachment 581870

Roy

As usual, that looks incredible! The only thing I can think of is the orientation of the box on the clamp. It seems to me, based on the visual dictionary/wired pics (and even the blurry screen caps), that clamp box is more of a 2:00-2:30 orientation (if one considers the bunny ears to be 12:00) as opposed to a 3:00 orientation. I sort of skimmed back a few dozen pages and didn't see any discussion of that, but it seems to me that it isn't perfectly square.

As usual, that looks incredible! The only thing I can think of is the orientation of the box on the clamp. It seems to me, based on the visual dictionary/wired pics (and even the blurry screen caps), that clamp box is more of a 2:00-2:30 orientation (if one considers the bunny ears to be 12:00) as opposed to a 3:00 orientation. I sort of skimmed back a few dozen pages and didn't see any discussion of that, but it seems to me that it isn't perfectly square.

I decided to place the clamp exactly perpendicular, since the position of both the top and bottom can freely rotate for a few degrees to both sides. Since the real prop(s) are made from a real Graflex, they will allow for this movement as well.

There's one thing I need to change though if the current references are correct, and that is the orientation of card in the clamp.

Any chance would this kit fit in Korbanth's 2.0 Graflex Kit?

I honestly wouldn't know! If that is a good replica it will, but I can't check it.

Last edited:
I don't know why you guys are going out of your way to copy exactly how much from the edges the grips reach. Multiple screen shots have shown that the lengths vary from hilt to hilt, which at least makes it plausible that they were all cut to approximations without any intention of cutting them to any specific length to achieve a particular look apart from just making sure that they're not too long or too short. If there were as many hilts available for ANH and ESB, we'd probably see exactly the same.

By the way, I've come to understand that the ANH hero has the grip ends cut to a slant whereas the ESB has perpendicular corners. Yet, there are also grips for the ANH version that come with rounded ends. Was it the case that the ANH hero is shown with both grip versions?

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

Except that the one in that photo isnt a film used saber, its a Disney launchbay prop, made specifically for that display, which varies from what weve seen in other promo photos and screencaptures.
I don't think anyone on this board can know this for a fact. Yet, even if this is true, the path of reasoning you're insinuating is rather silly. Consider it: you've got the chest shot which has the prop that is most probably the same as the VD (due to matching grip length) which also has the identical clamp texture as the rest of the props shown in all other shots, we've got a display prop which has the same clamp which inadvertently reveals that it's in credit to a metallic sleeve (due to one end peeling)--so you've got all these identically-looking clamps with both a thickness discrepancy from the FX and with one having already revealed it's got a sleeve and you're considering that the prop department went to the trouble of manufacturing detailed sleeves only to construct one or more hilts using an FX clamp when it was strictly articulated prior that they're adamant against using any replica parts from the public...

Notwithstanding, no one can deny that the FX clamp makes a very suitable substitution, only that if you're going for complete accuracy (presumably the incentive for this entire discussion), it just won't do.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back