Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Knoxville, TN
    Dec 4, 2016, 11:47 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3001

Does anyone know how many (if there are any) screen-used original trilogy Graflex sabers still exist besides the "Skywalker ranch" saber? I know the tape and it's overall condition are not screen accurate, but I'd like to know if any others survived and have been documented?

Also, has anyone read Roger Christian's book Cinema Alchemist? I know he designed the original lightsaber, and he's featured on starwars.com in this video holding the
    Skywalker ranch saber
    http://www.starwars.com/video/design...rom-the-inside

But he's seen in this video holding one that more resembles the ANH version.
    https://youtu.be/tTn27yHN9Gc

I'd like to know if his book offers anything beyond what he says in these interviews.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Knoxville, TN
    Dec 4, 2016, 12:52 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3002

Interestingly enough, this one doesn't appear to have the grips tapered at the end.

Has the accurate exposed Graflex clamp as well

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Dec 4, 2016, 1:42 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3003

Kbuckne4 said: View Post
    Does anyone know how many (if there are any) screen-used original trilogy Graflex sabers still exist besides the "Skywalker ranch" saber? I know the tape and it's overall condition are not screen accurate, but I'd like to know if any others survived and have been documented?

Also, has anyone read Roger Christian's book Cinema Alchemist? I know he designed the original lightsaber, and he's featured on starwars.com in this video holding the
    Skywalker ranch saber
    http://www.starwars.com/video/design...rom-the-inside

But he's seen in this video holding one that more resembles the ANH version.
    https://youtu.be/tTn27yHN9Gc

I'd like to know if his book offers anything beyond what he says in these interviews.

Thanks guys!

I've never seen this video before! thanks for sharing it. so roger is claiming the saber he holds in his hand right there is the actual saber in obiwans chest?
  4. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Knoxville, TN
    Dec 4, 2016, 2:08 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3004

halliwax said: View Post
    I've never seen this video before! thanks for sharing it. so roger is claiming the saber he holds in his hand right there is the actual saber in obiwans chest?
    That would be cool if it is!

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Dec 4, 2016, 2:09 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3005

yeah i dont know if he was referring to a "graflex" that was in the box or that being the actual graflex
  6. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Knoxville, TN
    Dec 4, 2016, 2:09 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3006

That would be cool if it is!

They are handling it with gloves. He's not handling the one on the radio interview with gloves.

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Dec 4, 2016, 2:25 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3007

found more to the video, sounds like roger replicated this lightsaber

he also mentions he super glued the grips on
  8. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Knoxville, TN
    Dec 4, 2016, 2:33 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3008

found more to the video, sounds like roger replicated this lightsaber
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po8pL3Iv5RU

he also mentions he super glued the grips on
    Excellent find!!! I didn't even see that!!

9. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Dec 4, 2016, 4:20 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3009

I'm sure others have seen this already but I just noticed it at my local bookseller. Don't recall seeing this promo shot before of Finn holding the TFA lightsaber complete with antenna protruding from the bottom of the hilt.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6487.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	688161
  10. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Dec 4, 2016, 4:26 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3010

I'm sure others have seen this already but I just noticed it at my local bookseller. Don't recall seeing this promo shot before of Finn holding the TFA lightsaber complete with antenna protruding from the bottom of the hilt.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star-wars-insider-special-edition-2017.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	421.9 KB 
ID:	688162
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Dec 4, 2016, 5:03 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3011

nasaworm said: View Post

Name:	star-wars-insider-special-edition-2017.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	421.9 KB 
ID:	688162
    this is new to me!! im going to have to check my local book store, i would love to see more of the antenna
  12. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Dec 4, 2016, 5:14 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3012

Antenna, and a slide switch!

13. Chris RPF Premium Member teecrooz's Avatar
    Dec 4, 2016, 6:08 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3013

And black ring around the base.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Dec 4, 2016, 6:21 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3014

Wasn't the antenna for the mapping the blade movement for post? So wasn't that on the softy stunts? That thing looks pretty metal. In fact-- look at the weathering on the grips-- that makes them look metallic. Could be paint-- but still.. and are those rivets?
  15. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Dec 4, 2016, 7:05 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3015

Can you make out on the photo if those are torex heads... maybe even hex? Could be rivets as well. Lots of detail down there on the enlargement of the photo. Can even make out ribbing in the antenna.
    From
    Portland, OR
    Dec 5, 2016, 7:27 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3016

Alright, I did it.

I read all 121 pages of this thread, the 59 pages of Roman's thread, and the 19 pages of the Graflex Variations thread, in the last week. All I have to say is wow. I am so thankful this community exists and that you all spread your collective knowledge!

Oh, and I am HOOKED. I ordered a Roman Graflex after about halfway through reading his thread, and seeing how much work he had done. Couldn't waste an opportunity to snag such a perfect replica! And then today... I went and bought a genuine one. Hate to pay the prices that these are at now, but I think i found a good deal. I lost out yesterday on a really nice 3 cell, but picked up a 2 cell instead that I am hoping to find a 3 cell bottom for. I have reservations about permanently riveting/ screwing the T tracks into a real one, so I ordered an ANH kit from Roy for the real one, and a TFA kit from Roman for that build.

I am extremely excited for both builds, but this thread really inspired me. I grew up with the OT, and seeing this saber back on screen.... it felt so good. I damn near cried with joy when the trailer with Han and Chewie came out. So this build will probably be my favorite one, and I may do a crystal reveal later. The ANH build will be more historical, and will likely never come out from its case except on special occasions. I'm imagining that the TFA saber will live on my desk.

Looking forward to posting some photos soon.
  17. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Knoxville, TN
    Dec 5, 2016, 8:26 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3017

SteakSauce said: View Post
    Alright, I did it.

I read all 121 pages of this thread, the 59 pages of Roman's thread, and the 19 pages of the Graflex Variations thread, in the last week. All I have to say is wow. I am so thankful this community exists and that you all spread your collective knowledge!

Oh, and I am HOOKED. I ordered a Roman Graflex after about halfway through reading his thread, and seeing how much work he had done. Couldn't waste an opportunity to snag such a perfect replica! And then today... I went and bought a genuine one. Hate to pay the prices that these are at now, but I think i found a good deal. I lost out yesterday on a really nice 3 cell, but picked up a 2 cell instead that I am hoping to find a 3 cell bottom for. I have reservations about permanently riveting/ screwing the T tracks into a real one, so I ordered an ANH kit from Roy for the real one, and a TFA kit from Roman for that build.

I am extremely excited for both builds, but this thread really inspired me. I grew up with the OT, and seeing this saber back on screen.... it felt so good. I damn near cried with joy when the trailer with Han and Chewie came out. So this build will probably be my favorite one, and I may do a crystal reveal later. The ANH build will be more historical, and will likely never come out from its case except on special occasions. I'm imagining that the TFA saber will live on my desk.

Welcome! Yes as I am discovering this can be very addicting! Can't wait to see how your builds turn out!

18. RPF Premium Member fightercaptured's Avatar
    From
    Fayetteville, AR
    Dec 5, 2016, 9:36 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3018

Alright, I did it.

Welcome aboard! It's a crazy, expensive ride, but so worth it! I'm on my 2nd vintage Graflex with a Roman's on the way. Roy's parts are the best and I love Slothfurnace's clamp cards.

Be sure to post pics of your builds!

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Dec 5, 2016, 10:25 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3019

Alright, I did it.

congratulations! you have completed the graftex initiation.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Dec 6, 2016, 10:09 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3020

Indeed welcome aboard SteakSauce ... looking forward to your G R A F L E X ANH lightsaber build

@Kbuckne4 there's also the ROTJ Vader G R A F L E X based stuntlightsaber at the Lucasfilm Archives.

Cha´m
  21. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Knoxville, TN
    Dec 6, 2016, 10:59 AM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3021

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    Indeed welcome aboard SteakSauce ... looking forward to your G R A F L E X ANH lightsaber build

@Kbuckne4 there's also the ROTJ Vader G R A F L E X based stuntlightsaber at the Lucasfilm Archives.

Cha´m
    Thank you! I'm going to look that up!

From
    Portland, OR
    Dec 7, 2016, 1:02 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3022

fightercaptured said: View Post
    Welcome aboard! It's a crazy, expensive ride, but so worth it! I'm on my 2nd vintage Graflex with a Roman's on the way. Roy's parts are the best and I love Slothfurnace's clamp cards.

Be sure to post pics of your builds!

congratulations! you have completed the graftex initiation.
    Sym-Cha said: View Post

Cha´m
    Welcome! Yes as I am discovering this can be very addicting! Can't wait to see how your builds turn out!

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Couple of other things I forgot. I also picked up a replica graflex top tube without the bent tabs (actually my first purchase). I originally thought I would pick up all the parts from various vendors and build a TFA from scratch, but have since made my other purchases. I'm not really a fan of the ROTJ stunt vader saber, which I have now learned that these unbent versions are used for. Does anybody need one? It seems like plenty of people on this and Roman's thread are big fans of them. I am still trying to track down a 3 cell bottom to use on the ANH build, even if it is a replica. The other option is to build a fighting saber from it....

Which brings me to what all got me started. I had a MR 05 Anakin ROTS saber that needed a ton of clean up. Recently I ended up replacing most of the internals with a kit from TCSS. But the outside is still pretty marred up from when I first took it apart back in the day. So I affectionately call that one my "illegitimate child" saber. I have a blade coming for it and will likely use that one for a battling blade or to let friends mess around with.

Looking forward to posting some pictures soon!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Dec 7, 2016, 1:23 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3023

The Vader ROTJ stunt was the very first lightsaber I laid my eyes on in a comic book shop in Amsterdam ... a long, long time ago . . . it was a custom G R A F L E X look-a-like replica with metal and resin parts . . . alas it was not for sale . . . so much later I found one made by GRAFLEX Reborn, which was the very first lightsaber I ever purchased before I even knew about the G R A F L E X flashguns . . . and eventhough it does smell heavily of iron, since the body is another metal than a real G R A F L E X, yet it's one of my favorite sabers amongst my extensive collection

Cha´m
    From
    Los Angeles
    Dec 7, 2016, 3:59 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3024

It's easy to see-- it's what Lucasfilm has been mistakenly calling the "hero" Vader light saber for a long time, using it as the model for toys and video games.
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Dec 7, 2016, 5:23 PM - Re: TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) #3025

Interestingly enough, this one doesn't appear to have the grips tapered at the end.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...71485d22c0.png

Has the accurate exposed Graflex clamp as well

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...d474a09773.png

So..

That T track doesn't look right, the top edge looks hand filed