TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

glad to see your still cracking away at it!! do you plan on doing a run of cards and bands?
Well it's been a year since the movie came out and no one yet makes a full-thickness clamp cover with cut grooves, so...:unsure

I'll definitely offer a run of cards soon! They are 100% handmade, so I want to make sure they look as good as possible. :)

I decided not to do the covers because the design is somewhat based on Roys approach. We had a chat and I feel it's his baby, and if someone is going to offer them, it's probably going to be him. He has the capabilities to offer them cheaper, too.

Hi all. I just wanted to share the progress of my first little project that I have at last got round to starting. I am converting an Icons Skywalker lightsaber which I have had since 1998 into the outside version lightsaber from TFA. After a great deal of thought, I decided to do this mainly because of its inaccuracies and the high cost of a decent replacement. I don't have any professional tools or anything and so am just using whatever I can find in my toolbox, my trusty workmate bench and lots of help and advice from you guys so thank you.

Icons2.PNG

I started by removing the shiny plastic grips. I also removed the bunny ears as they were loose and needed adjusting. This also allowed me to remove the emitter so I could add the brass contacts....thanks Khal :thumbsup
I 'aged' them by using Birchwood Brass Black
IMG_0357.JPG

As the Icons glass eye socket isn't threaded, I hand filed down the thread on the brass glass eye that I got from Saberbay so it fit being careful not to scratch the edge

IMG_0358.JPG
IMG_0359.JPG

Now the painful bit!!! I decided to cut the saber in half because the Icons saber is one piece and the grips didn't match the orientation of the TFA saber. Also this will make it easier when it comes to sorting the grips
IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0372.JPG

I will update my progress with more photos soon

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I am new to the rpf!
These may have been mentioned in an earlier/different post, but does anyone know anything about these?
https://www.graflexshop.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=50

This is my first build, and I want to do an accurate TFA static hilt. Has anyone else got one of these?
I bought some parts from Roy and I am very excited. I haven't received the flash yet, but I ordered this one because it was more in my budget than some other flash replicas. thanks!

Hi Kbuckne4, and welcome aboard :) That's a great replica to start building Luke's lightsaber ... Roy's grips were based on my custom design after some extensive research ... I can only hope you ordered those to complete that nice replica ... enjoy your build and show us your work in progress :)

Chaim

All about them Roy parts! My vintage TFA sports all WW parts. Have fun with your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Did you all use hand drills or a drill press to get through the Graflex bottom and sides? Also how big should the wholes be drilled if I'm doing rivets?

Thank you!

Did you all use hand drills or a drill press to get through the Graflex bottom and sides? Also how big should the wholes be drilled if I'm doing rivets?

I used a drill press, more stable & accurate. The size of the holes will depend on the size of the rivets you use.

Has anyone picked up some Torx screws for their builds?
If so can you link a source, preferably in the US.

Making the Maz box saber for my niece.

Someone may have already said this earlier, and if so could you link me to it, but
does anyone know if the Maz handing over the lightsaber to Leia scene surfaced yet? Is it on the 3D blu ray?

Also, is there a chance that the ultimate studio edition Rey lightsaber might be based on the 3D modeling from that scene? I know they would have made 3D scans of all the props, but I know that some of the shots of the lightsaber are CG.

Idk if the one from the Maz Leia deleted scene is CG, but it is interesting to note that the glass eye doesn't look like it's showing the brass, at least not to my eyes anyway, but I also noticed that the replica version also does not have the brass showing.

Is that maybe also the reason the edge connector is flipped the wrong way in all displays of the lightsaber we have been seeing?

I just can't wrap my head around them charging that much for an inaccurate prop. Or all the launch bay people putting the edge connector facing the wrong way.

Anyway here are some pics of the Maz handoff, which I know have been posted before, and the rey prop replica
Thanks!

2bea4ae6028f6afd5867627962425de3.jpg

99213e6b1dda57babc95298f4603ae77.jpg

EB370FF4-8F89-4C01-A6CD-1DA10F1FDAC8-7492-0000058E96B008B9_tmp.JPGD6CCD1AF-859D-47A8-8C18-A6D04944701E-7464-000005891CDA4F81_tmp.JPG
0FCAF0BB-2CC0-406F-A920-E353F471A74D-7492-0000058E92C6F549_tmp.JPG

Attachments

• EB370FF4-8F89-4C01-A6CD-1DA10F1FDAC8-7492-0000058E96B008B9_tmp.JPG
    EB370FF4-8F89-4C01-A6CD-1DA10F1FDAC8-7492-0000058E96B008B9_tmp.JPG
    533.3 KB · Views: 160
  • D6CCD1AF-859D-47A8-8C18-A6D04944701E-7464-000005891CDA4F81_tmp.JPG
    D6CCD1AF-859D-47A8-8C18-A6D04944701E-7464-000005891CDA4F81_tmp.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 165
  • 0FCAF0BB-2CC0-406F-A920-E353F471A74D-7492-0000058E92C6F549_tmp.JPG
    0FCAF0BB-2CC0-406F-A920-E353F471A74D-7492-0000058E92C6F549_tmp.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 111
Someone may have already said this earlier, and if so could you link me to it, but
does anyone know if the Maz handing over the lightsaber to Leia scene surfaced yet? Is it on the 3D blu ray?

Also, is there a chance that the ultimate studio edition Rey lightsaber might be based on the 3D modeling from that scene? I know they would have made 3D scans of all the props, but I know that some of the shots of the lightsaber are CG.

Idk if the one from the Maz Leia deleted scene is CG, but it is interesting to note that the glass eye doesn't look like it's showing the brass, at least not to my eyes anyway, but I also noticed that the replica version also does not have the brass showing.

Is that maybe also the reason the edge connector is flipped the wrong way in all displays of the lightsaber we have been seeing?

I just can't wrap my head around them charging that much for an inaccurate prop. Or all the launch bay people putting the edge connector facing the wrong way.

Anyway here are some pics of the Maz handoff, which I know have been posted before, and the rey prop replica
Thanks!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161126/2bea4ae6028f6afd5867627962425de3.png

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161126/99213e6b1dda57babc95298f4603ae77.png

View attachment 686068View attachment 686069
View attachment 686070

i believe the leia saber is the same saber finn is using outside the castle. both have long grips and the leia saber looks as though the knurling is sanded down around the glass eye. this sent official, just my personal belief

i believe the leia saber is the same saber finn is using outside the castle. both have long grips and the leia saber looks as though the knurling is sanded down around the glass eye. this sent official, just my personal belief

Okay thank you!

Okay thank you!

there is also a magazine with a picture of han and finn entering the secret base. fin has the saber in the loop of his jacket. the rumor was the delete scene took place in the secret base with maz handing it to leia. so i would imagine the saber in finns jacket is the same saber that would be handed to leia.

Thank you! Here's a second version in a darker color- in the screencap of the lightsaber in Maz's chest (and in the Visual Dictionary), the clamp overlay seems to be a darker tone than the rest of the flash, so for this second version I used a material that looked closer to that.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1701/24507971262_0ca5a3095d_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1446/24248550159_d39ab38685_c.jpg

That lower right photo shows what it looks like with the end lifted up as with one of the Launch Bay sabers...

The material is a self adhesive vinyl, not metal, but it seems to look the part. Since it's essentially a sticker, it doesn't shift around at all.

I do think it's entirely possible and maybe likely that the Wired and hero movie sabers had a metal overlay (the black and white hi res photo is compelling with how it lifts slightly above the rectangles), but those Launch Bay props look more like this method IMO... and maybe this could work for the hero too :)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1502/24616705075_e5cfa806b7_c.jpg

V2 has the other color overlay on a Roman clamp, and the flash has an original clamp.

any tip on how to order one of these? this looks absolutely spot on!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back