Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade

BB8 We may be onto something here! I'm actually heading towards fencing Sabre blades instead of actual fencing foils because the Sabre blades are round. Google fencing sabre some pictures even have the blade out of the hilt with a smaller rod at the base they look very close to the saber prop blades on the table that could explain some things we see even on the Vader ROTJ saber.

I agree. They also make fencing firs round as well.

BB8 did you by chance find any sites that sell thicker diameter ones? I can't seem to find a good sales site at all if I can find a decent size and I will buy one to see if it fits the bill.

I agree. They also make fencing firs round as well.

Last edited:
I mean, it goes without saying, there's already been extensive research into these things and the consensus has been towards hard, metal, tubing, some tapered. Until we see on-set or archival evidence of something else. Can you guys use some photographs of where you see fencing foils used for stunt use in the OT? Lets do this constructively.

Spoke to a fencing store they said manufactures can make thicker rigid steel foils but most are custom order only but has been done for theater productions. Maybe Lucas has some customer made sword blades made? I just read he did that in new Zealand for Ep3?

But that's talking almost 30 years after the original movies. We're talking strictly production used stunt blades in the original three movies in this thread.

Your right. It is only a hunch but saw some behind the scenes movies with fencing with rusted looking tapered swords . I do know that aluminum bends and is so soft enough that we would see some bending in the original trilogy fights unless they really weren't hitting as hard as it looked. I have been in the welding industry on and off and I have seen one real thin, almost sheet thin steel tubes that were hardened and it's extremely difficult to get any bend out of these but they do have some flex but not enough to notice really. I'm guessing they most likely used some type of thin lightweight steel. Just spitballing here

I mean, it goes without saying, there's already been extensive research into these things and the consensus has been towards hard, metal, tubing, some tapered. Until we see on-set or archival evidence of something else. Can you guys use some photographs of where you see fencing foils used for stunt use in the OT? Lets do this constructively.

I really doubt they had custom metal blades made. If you as a prop designer had the option, using existing fencing blades makes perfect sense. You could get them in any length and thickness plus any hardness. As you get better in fencing you use less flexible blades.

Have you able to locate any? They would have to be thick at least 1/2 in to 5/8 at the base from photos we seen I've been told there out there but can't find any

I really doubt they had custom metal blades made. If you as a prop designer had the option, using existing fencing blades makes perfect sense. You could get them in any length and thickness plus any hardness. As you get better in fencing you use less flexible blades.

Last edited:
Have you able to locate any? They would have to be thick at least 1/2 in to 5/8 at the base from photos we seen

I can ask an instructor. I'm sure he'd know. Fencing is a little obscure. From what I've seen you can get them in triangle square and round shapes. Length is supposed to depend on your height as well as proficiency. The longer blades have disadvantages as well. Even though they have more reach the simple mechanics of a shorter blade allows for quicker inner work. Which is why the Japanese samurai carried two lengths of sword. I digress. I'll see if I can find an example that fits our needs.

Awesome let me know if u find them and I'll buy and test them out to see if they fit

I can ask an instructor. I'm sure he'd know. Fencing is a little obscure. From what I've seen you can get them in triangle square and round shapes. Length is supposed to depend on your height as well as proficiency. The longer blades have disadvantages as well. Even though they have more reach the simple mechanics of a shorter blade allows for quicker inner work. Which is why the Japanese samurai carried two lengths of sword. I digress. I'll see if I can find an example that fits our needs.

I was reading a website saying that they used steel and graphite or fiberglass rods like old fishing poles. Any truth to that ?

The most accurate truth we have is that they were poles/rods and had to have set screws to situate them in place. Wide Allen heads in graflex/MPP based ESB props, tiny grub set screws in ROTJ and one ANH prop.

I found some old ski poles that look just like that metal blade we see . I snagged em up and did some tests. They are made of a hardened aluminum alloy and are not as soft as standards aluminum tubing. When doing slow and fake "heavy" hits like in the OT the don't bend at all just get dents. If you really wack them against something really hard they will start to bend but they really handle up to that old style of fight. Maybe these or something similar were used it looks to be the exact shape and diameter and the ones I have are 30 years old. I'll post a few pics later

Last edited:
I also recently was shown this pic of someone holding Steve Sansweets alleged screen used tank antenna lightsaber here's the photo me_with_a_screen_used_lightsaber_by_supershadow781-d6rtsc8.jpg

Assuming this is real it seems to have this weird cap at the tip of the blade. The vintage ski pole I bought seems to have this as well.

Last edited:
Steve Sansweet's does use a German surplus antenna, I'm not sure where you're going with this. I've seen no evidence of ski poles or fencing foils yet. The shape also doesn't resemble what images and video we have

Was just trying to find something as close as I can to them in terms of size. Ski poles and fishing rods seem to be the closest thing I can locate that is readily available to obtain. Are those antennas WW2 era? What are they composed of steel?, fiberglass? Cannot seem to find any available online

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back