Matt's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 suit (First suit + New suit)

Re: Matt's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 suit (First suit + New suit WIP)

I kinda messed up the webbing on the mask. So i might cut it off and make a new mask and sew it onto the neck. It's not too noticeable from a distance, but I'm a perfectionist :D plus i wanna solve that oversized eye holes that i made. huge mistake.

EDIT--- I will be cutting this mask off and make a new mask. Probably with a better pattern than the raimi style pattern. I'll be looking through heaps and heaps of ref pics of the mask and will be designing a pattern to trace onto the fabric.
_DSC0148.JPG_DSC0149.JPG

Last edited:

How did you edit the pattern and print it on paper???

What I did is I downloaded kenlandrum's free file. Since my internet's not so reliable, I used his flattened out JPEG file. I took it to photoshop and used the quick selection tool to select the blue portions. I copied and pasted the blue portions to a new layer, painted it all white and then I added an outline/stroke to it.The same process was done for the red sections. I had it printed through a friend who knows how to print large images.

i printed the front spider , but its small, how do i make it the right size for the tasm2 suit?

Man that is something really cool you've got there. I'm really loving all the creativity involved there. I do see some very small room to make it a bit better. I think the webs are a bit too squared, remember that webs usually bend towards the inside of the web, in the chest, for instance, would be the horizontal lines of the web that should be bent up a little bit. Also I think the webbing is a bit too thick if you're going for screen accuracy. Lastly, if you want the webbing to be a bit more matte and raised you can always blowdry it. I suggest trying it on a practice webbing on fabric first so you'd get the idea of how it looks and see if you like it. Anyway, great work!

Don't take the neck in on your suit. The fat neck is caused by the suit being too short for you. Taking in the neck will only make it fit worse.

What do you mean too short? Like the width of the suit is too little or the height of the suit isn't long enough? Sorry to butt in here, I just ordered a suit and I messed up on my shoulder measurements by an inch or two and am afraid this neck problem will happen to me. It'd be sad to put that much money to waste if my lack of measuring skills is what screws me over.

i printed the front spider , but its small, how do i make it the right size for the tasm2 suit?
There are no exact dimensions for the front spider. It just depends on you if you think it looks right or not. Just resize it bigger and try again.
Man that is something really cool you've got there. I'm really loving all the creativity involved there. I do see some very small room to make it a bit better. I think the webs are a bit too squared, remember that webs usually bend towards the inside of the web, in the chest, for instance, would be the horizontal lines of the web that should be bent up a little bit. Also I think the webbing is a bit too thick if you're going for screen accuracy. Lastly, if you want the webbing to be a bit more matte and raised you can always blowdry it. I suggest trying it on a practice webbing on fabric first so you'd get the idea of how it looks and see if you like it. Anyway, great work!
Thanks man! I had my old suit done like this, and I loved how it turned out. Also I love the black shines, so I'm staying with the slick black. I'm personally not a fan of the "curved" webbing on the chest. I think the curved webs look great on the mask, but not really anywhere else. :) And I'm not the best puffy painter, but I do want it to look and feel home made so that people won't be like "Oh hey nice suit. Where'd you buy it?" I want them to be like, "Damn! That's a sick suit you made!"
What do you mean too short? Like the width of the suit is too little or the height of the suit isn't long enough? Sorry to butt in here, I just ordered a suit and I messed up on my shoulder measurements by an inch or two and am afraid this neck problem will happen to me. It'd be sad to put that much money to waste if my lack of measuring skills is what screws me over.
It's the height of the suit that's messed up. The width of it can easily stretch out for an inch or two. And I'll be replacing this mask on mine to solve the neck problem as well as the eye holes peeking out the lenses. :)

Does anyoe know how to size the pattern so it can fit into your body?? Oh and how to print pictures large too ???

How to avoid the puff paint bleeding out? The mannequin I used for the hands are made of the same material as the chest. But somehow this messed up. I applies thin strokes of puff paint but it still happened. Help me out here?

_DSC0490.JPG

EDIT--- I found a pretty okay solution for this. Since puffy painting it red would be too obvious, I covered up the black that bled out with white textile paint and then covered it with red. You can see that just beside the trigger pad. It's not too noticeable as the others though. I'll keep trying this out until it's not noticeable at all.

_DSC0518.JPG

Last edited:

Did some tests on the puffy painting with scrap fabric. Turns out that the bleeding issue is caused by not drying quickly. Because when I did the chest part of the suit, there was a fan which blows on the puff paint which made it dry faster. When I did the glove, I worked without a fan. I tries this out on scrap fabric and my theory proves right.

Also, shots of the test mask I did with my new mask pattern. Looks good. So I'm going with this pattern. The pattern is kinda like a McLean pattern, with a long center piece running from the nose down to the neck.

Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 9.41.43 PM.png

_DSC0520.JPG_DSC0521.JPG_DSC0522.JPG_DSC0523.JPG

Cool man

- - - Updated - - -

I gave up on my spidey mask , cant seem to print the pattern big enough to fit my head

Alright, time for an update on the mask. I had to buy an extra yard of the red fabric. But the original fabric I used for the red is unavailable, so I took a good look around the market and I found something that came real close to the original I used. The difference is the new fabric is a bit thicker and less stretchier and just a tiny little shade darker (something not at all noticeable when the weblines are applied). Here's how it's looking now.

_DSC0524.JPG

Close up:

_DSC0525.JPG

And without the lenses:
_DSC0526.JPG

I glued down some magnets on the mask itself to make sure that the lenses will not come off when i'm wearing this. :D No worn pics yet though. Haven't sewn the zipper on the back yet. And sadly, this thread will be slowed down since school will be starting in a week. I'm a college freshman, so starting tomorrow, I'll be attending orientations of the campus and the college building i'll be attending. But I will still be working on this suit. :) Just probably won't be able to update that much. :cry

I gave up on my spidey mask , cant seem to print the pattern big enough to fit my head

You printed from FOD? A wise thing to do would be to print the mask pattern on paper and trace that to some fabric. It could be any fabric, even it's not stretching. If it's too tight, then it won't fit you. If it's too loose, then it would be just a tiny bit loose on the lycra. It it fits snug on you, then it should be the perfect size for the real mask. I did that with my first suit, and it saved me some material of the actual fabric i'm using.

Last edited:

Should I apply puff paint while the suit is worn by a mannequin? Any pros and cons?

Should I apply puff paint while the suit is worn by a mannequin? Any pros and cons?
There are two ways you can puffy paint. One would be to put it on a mannequin and puffy paint. Pros of this is that it will fit you very well if the mannequin has the same measurements as you. Cons would be it would take a bit longer to puffy paint and that the paint might smudge in the hard to paint areas such as the fingers and thumbs.The other way to paint the suit would be to puffy paint it BEFORE having it sewn. Pros of this is you are less prone to mistakes and it's easier to paint. Cons would be the suit might not fit you very well or the weblines might not match up.

There are two ways you can puffy paint. One would be to put it on a mannequin and puffy paint. Pros of this is that it will fit you very well if the mannequin has the same measurements as you. Cons would be it would take a bit longer to puffy paint and that the paint might smudge in the hard to paint areas such as the fingers and thumbs.The other way to paint the suit would be to puffy paint it BEFORE having it sewn. Pros of this is you are less prone to mistakes and it's easier to paint. Cons would be the suit might not fit you very well or the weblines might not match up.

Never thought of those points. Thank you so much.
Do I have to stretch the fabric as I puff paint?

On a side note, the webbing done on this suit is amazing. It looks like some kinda rubber?
dutch-designer-yuri-schuurkes-uses-3d-printing-7.jpg

Never thought of those points. Thank you so much.
Do I have to stretch the fabric as I puff paint?

On a side note, the webbing done on this suit is amazing. It looks like some kinda rubber?
View attachment 512756

You do have to stretch it if you decide to paint before sewing. And that is a Raimi suit, which does not use puffy paint. It's cast from urethane and painted silver.

You do have to stretch it if you decide to paint before sewing. And that is a Raimi suit, which does not use puffy paint. It's cast from urethane and painted silver.

What kind of glue should I use to glue my EVA spider logo on my lycra?

What kind of glue should I use to glue my EVA spider logo on my lycra?

I used E6000. It's strong, flexible, and a lot easier to use than superglue since it's a thick liquid.

Any updates? Love seeing your suit progress

The only thing I have finished so far since my last update is one boot (with shoe, no soles yet), the thick neck problem I had was solved with the new mask (now completely sewn to the rest of the suit), I have also replaced the separating waist zip, and I have already sent the pants section to a seamstress to strengthen up the stitches. I'd love to keep this thread as alive and as updated with as many pics as I can, but since I'm a college freshman, I'm having a hard time adjusting to the new environment and I do not have much time. But I will try to update this thread whenever I can.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back