Ultra's knockturn alley sign...(harry potter...diagon alley) FINALLY FINISHED!

Re: ULTRA'S KNOCKTURN ALLEY SIGN...(HARRY POTTER...DIAGON ALLEY) lots o' pics!

well i did a quick test with some wood stain and i have to say its dang near perfect.
i'll have to take some pics tomorrow to post and show you whats happening.

i also mapped where i need to "knock" out and sand all the dents and cracks.....(like i said this is going to be about as screen accurate as you can get)
knockdetailscreen.JPG knockdetailscreendents.JPG

Love the signs - Great job!

thanks man glad you like it so far....still got a little ways to go yet.:cool
Love the signs - Great job!

so kids got back from the shop tonight and just finished :
1)burning labels
2)gluing labels
3) weathering labels
minmaglable1.JPG minmaglabel2.JPG minmaglabel3.JPG

and here is a comparison on the screen shot vs my wood stained look

screenshot vs stain.JPG

now i have to map out the blood splatter and knock the dings and dents in. more pics to come as things progress and junkyard thread soon!!!

wow thats wonderful really :) i cant wait for junkyard thread :)

thanks lynx0099 i'm gonna make it the best i can.
i still need to go in and tighten up the letters....i was thinking of putting in a few light black washes on the letters where they disappear before doing the stain. and there are a couple letters that have little stains in them like the "C" and the "r"
and i need to fix the curley ques in the K and A to match the super thin pin stripy ones on the actual sign.

wow thats wonderful really :) i cant wait for junkyard thread :)

soooo got back from the shop...
sweep'd off all the coffee grounds on the labels that i left over night.....then added a little wood stain here and there....all the labels turned out a little different then each other which is nice.

minstainlabel1.JPG minstainlabel2.JPG minstainlabel3.JPG

then i started cleaning up some of the lettering to make it more screen accurate.
once i thinned down the curley ques on the "K" and "A" i started hearing the potter theme song start in my head...which is a "good sign" (pun intended) things are coming together.

letterfix1.JPG letterfix2b.JPG

now i'll have to try that black wash with the stain idea and see if it works out for making the fading letters towards the end of the sign.:cool

Great looking replica, very nice work. Though I did want to say, I don't believe that it is "blood spatter" on the hand area. It looks to me more like aging. Like when you see a painted sign or statue that has been sitting out in the elements for a long time, it has areas that are very worn cause water falls on them first or sand hits them and starts eroding the paint, revealing an undercoating.

i don't know....it looks a lot like blood to me. you'd think it'd be brown not red.
knockhandscreenshot.JPG

although you may be right....i'd like more feed back from others on this

Great looking replica, very nice work. Though I did want to say, I don't believe that it is "blood spatter" on the hand area. It looks to me more like aging. Like when you see a painted sign or statue that has been sitting out in the elements for a long time, it has areas that are very worn cause water falls on them first or sand hits them and starts eroding the paint, revealing an undercoating.

It might be, but the pattern on the cuff makes me think otherwise.

i see parts of the cuff that are chipped at the top and it is brown/tan i wonder if the under painting or primer was red...either way i'm going to try and paint it like the picture so what ever it is ....it will hopefully still be screen accurate.

It might be, but the pattern on the cuff makes me think otherwise.

hay kiddies!

so i finally got the last of the signs lettered today!!!!
i hope to not have to mask and exacto blade letters out any time soon...after a month straight working i decided to take a day off tomorrow lol
then i will be fresh to start banging out the hands and weathering.
finishlettering1.JPG finishlettering2.JPG

now that i have my shiny new premium member badge i might have to break down and start the INT/sell thread tomorrow:cool

got 3 skin tones done on all the hands and i started dremeling out all the dings and dents today.
i figured i'd leave it just wood grain for now to show where they all are before i paint them in, which would be a little harder to see in a picture.
knockdremel.JPG

Those are looking sooooo sick!!! Heck yea ultra!

so today i got the dents and cracks all dremeled in and repainted. and i got 3 skin tones done in the hands. its starting to come together now.

dentset1.JPG dentset2.JPG

and here's a little closer and at an angle so you can see where they all are.

dentdetail.JPG

thanks woozelmom...it ended up being more work then i thought it was going to be.
i'll be working along on one and 2 or 3 hours will go by then i'd be like: "ok done....now only 15 more to do" lol

Wow, really awesome work!!!:thumbsup

well still hard at it....
got the backs all painted black
blackback1.JPG blackback2.JPG

then cleaned up the letters a little added a black wash here and there and stained the letters

stainwash1.JPG stainswash2.JPG

then i drilled all the holes for the screws and burnt the screws and put them in place

weatherscrews.JPG

now i just have to weather the hands, clear coat and figure out if there's gonna be hardware for hanging on the back.

woow, amazing job ultra!! i cant wait for it!!! growing impatient :) :love

hello sexy ones!

after 148 hours of work i have finally finished the knockturn signs!!!!!
:eekWOOHOO!

i spent a day messing around with trying to get that red on the hands...(some think it's blood and some think its just paint flaking off to look worn out)
in any case after i tried splattering it ....it looked like crap
then i tried cutting out the exact pattern with an exacto and using it as a stencil....it looked like crap again...to forced looking.
then a friend of mine said : "hay dude just leave it alone! it looks killer already and if you over work it ...it will turn into garbage"
so i said "yep your right i'm gonna leave it as it is!"

so i cleaned up all the paint...did the stain, burnt the screws and put them in. then worked on the back and clear coated it in matte finish.

here she is:

finishfront1.JPG finishfront2.JPG

then while working on the back i had a little fun with it. on the left hand side is a hermit tarot card which means: once you enter here you enter alone!
then on either side of the ministry of magic label are 2 magick seals of solomon which protect the sign from being stolen or curses the person who does.
then lastly on the back of the hand i've writen in elder futhark runes which means: "something wicked this way comes!!":devil

finishback1.JPG finishback2.JPG finishback3.JPG

then here's one for scale

finishfrontsize.JPG

hope you like it!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back