Show your custom Lightsabers!

Canon Model Y saber is done.

View attachment 565698 View attachment 565700 View attachment 565699 View attachment 565705 View attachment 565704

Comparisons with a Graflex:

View attachment 565702 View attachment 565701

It came out looking far more like Luke's saber than I originally expected. Certainly a closer match than the Holiday Special saber!

Definitely one of the best (looks most like it could be onscreen in the OT) hardware sabers I've seen. Awesome work!

Canon Model Y saber is done.

View attachment 565698 View attachment 565700 View attachment 565699 View attachment 565705 View attachment 565704

Comparisons with a Graflex:

View attachment 565702 View attachment 565701

It came out looking far more like Luke's saber than I originally expected. Certainly a closer match than the Holiday Special saber!

This is my favorite custom in this thread, no joke. I totally dig the look. :thumbsup

I did the double notched grips look in the early 2000's. John at yodashouse/blast-tech would make them for me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I love those sabers of yours :love

Which flash hand is it made from again?

My 2nd favorite 3 cell. made by Peak Photo products.

If I ever get my hands on some Canon model X or Y flashes, the Peak might become my 3rd favorite.

If they use a Peak in Episode 8, I can retire early. :D

Finished another saber yesterday, from a 2-cell Minicam flash, King Sol clamp, Novus 820 calc bubbles, 3d printed grips and neck from Shapeways, and a shroud and neck detail from a 2-cell Heiland. The "guts" were detailed with a brass sprinkler part from Lowes.

IMG_0205.JPG IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0206.JPG

The Shapeways parts were given multiple coats of Plasti-Kote automotive filler primer, sanded smooth, and painted. The Heiland shroud was stripped, sanded to give it a brushed finish, then tinted with a light coat of Testors smoke clear to match the nickel plate of the flash body, then clear coated for protection.

IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0209.JPG

The belt hanging loop is a small leatherwoking buckle from Michaels, attached to the flash body with a metal strap taken from the flash's battery contacts. The buckle was aged by soaking it in toilet bowl cleaner and salt. Grips are attached with super glue and seven 8-32" stainless steel socket head screws, drilled and tapped.

IMG_0207.JPG

A family portrait:

IMG_0223.JPG

Finally, a saber I've had sitting around for a while. Built from a sink faucet knob and a stack of random lamp and plumbing parts picked up at a Habitat For Humanity, all stacked onto an aluminum candlestick I found at Goodwill 10+ years ago. The candlestick looks handmade, like somebody turned it on a lathe in shop; there's no manufacturer's info on it or anything.

IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0229.JPG

Finished another saber yesterday, from a 2-cell Minicam flash, King Sol clamp, Novus 820 calc bubbles, 3d printed grips and neck from Shapeways, and a shroud and neck detail from a 2-cell Heiland. The "guts" were detailed with a brass sprinkler part from Lowes.

View attachment 568953 View attachment 568952 View attachment 568954

The Shapeways parts were given multiple coats of Plasti-Kote automotive filler primer, sanded smooth, and painted. The Heiland shroud was stripped, sanded to give it a brushed finish, then tinted with a light coat of Testors smoke clear to match the nickel plate of the flash body, then clear coated for protection.

View attachment 568951 View attachment 568956

The belt hanging loop is a small leatherwoking buckle from Michaels, attached to the flash body with a metal strap taken from the flash's battery contacts. The buckle was aged by soaking it in toilet bowl cleaner and salt. Grips are attached with super glue and seven 8-32" stainless steel socket head screws, drilled and tapped.

View attachment 568955

A family portrait:

View attachment 568957

Finally, a saber I've had sitting around for a while. Built from a sink faucet knob and a stack of random lamp and plumbing parts picked up at a Habitat For Humanity, all stacked onto an aluminum candlestick I found at Goodwill 10+ years ago. The candlestick looks handmade, like somebody turned it on a lathe in shop; there's no manufacturer's info on it or anything.

View attachment 568958 View attachment 568959 View attachment 568960

The minicam saber is fantastic! The grips in particular are really cool. I like how they come down over the pommel bi level like that.
Can you provide a link to those on Shapeways?

I just found this video talking about the most used Lukes ROTJ lightsaber in the film. Most commonly referred to manufacturers as "Lukes ROTJ v2.0", even though it has the most screen time in the film. Which lightsaber do you think Episode 8 will feature, the ROTJ "hero" (copper and black) or the ROTJ "v2.0" (weathered black kneck)?

Video explaining lightsaber version use in ROTJ film: https://youtu.be/RcRm_Ji05PA

Just bagged a Heiland flash (7 1/4") :D

Could maybe do with some suggestions and tips on converting it if anyone has any.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back