Hagrid's Pink Umbrella from the Harry Potter movies

I am in absolute awe of your work and the lengths you go thru to achieve perfection. My sister is a huge Hagrid fan! Do you have an etsy shop or someplace you sell your stuff? Would you be willing to sell me a hagrid wand? I'll pay you. I'll buy all the materials and pay you for your time and talent.

Kenobi, you are a true artist!!! It seems like you should start producing and selling these. You already got 3 customers including me! Please it would be awesome to have one of ur piece in my collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I'm waiting for a part to arrive for my Snitch project, I thought I'd work on Hagrid's umbrella which I need to accessorize a Hagrid costume that my wife and I are working on. There seems to be two similar but different versions of the prop.
View attachment 410852
The top 2 images shown in the above picture (from HP and the Philosopher's Stone) has a gathered piece of fabric covering where the fabric panels end. It also looks to have a brass cane tip on the end. This version is currently traveling with Harry Potter Exhibition. The lower 2 images are of the one at Leavsden, which seems to lack both of those details.

After scaling images of the umbrella, I purchased a parasol kit from Vena Cava Designs which has spars exactly the size I needed, though the handle(s) and end cap are not right for the prop.
View attachment 410853

First thing I made was a longer shaft out of a 5/8 inch oak dowel. I drilled a 29/64 hole in the end of it to match the diameter of the kit.
View attachment 410854

I then turned a handle using a wood lathe.
View attachment 410855

I shorten the shaft of the kit and drilled pilot holes so I could use a steel dowel screw (and lots of wood glue) to hold the two shafts together. The handle was then glued on.
View attachment 410856

I then made a new tip using a brass cane part from Rockler. This cap is glued in place after the pink fabric panels are put on .
View attachment 410857

Next I need to stain and finish the oak parts.

The kit comes with good instructions on how to make and sew the panels. I have a pattern for them, but my wife does all the machine sewing and she's currently working on a pointy-shoulder McGonagall costume!

ATL
I was wondering if you are making the umbrella for sale?

I do wish that I had the time to make more than 1 of a particular prop. I'll have to let y'all know if/when that happens.

Thanks, MD

I do wish that I had the time to make more than 1 of a particular prop. I'll have to let y'all know if/when that happens.

Thanks, MD
Please let me know since we are making a great collection of HP and this umbrella will be a great addition to the collection.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back