Spider-Man Puff Paint Tips.. (Pics)

jerzbag

So I admit this might sound a little obvious but Im working on a tasm 2 suit thats going great but until tonight I had NO IDEA that in order to properly activate puff paint you have to blow dry or steam it!

It's amazing.

(I have to start thoroughly reading directions...lol)

Hopefully all you guys are doing this...it makes a MAJOR difference in quality!*

Anyways if yall wanna share tips or photos please do...I see alot of questions about puff paint on here.

This is a "before" it looks shiny and lower quality....I've see a lot of builds look like this....(no offense...my first build does too) 20141014_235828-1.jpg

Here's an "after"....granted my lines are a bit wobbly here but the level of puff is good and the matte effect is dope..20141014_235845-1.jpg

It really does have a big difference. I've noticed this even in just making team T-Shirts for school. Unless you wanna make your shirt burn your peers eyes with the reflection off of the paint, blow dry it.

It really does have a big difference. I've noticed this even in just making team T-Shirts for school. Unless you wanna make your shirt burn your peers eyes with the reflection off of the paint, blow dry it.

Lol!
Reflection burn!

Definitely agree.
Huge difference.

I wonder if that's why the puff paint always had this tacky feeling to it and would stick together if I didn't hang the suit on a hanger. Thanks for the info this helps a lot

I wonder if that's why the puff paint always had this tacky feeling to it and would stick together if I didn't hang the suit on a hanger. Thanks for the info this helps a lot

Yea exactly!

I would run into the same problem before....and also the rise on the paint wasn't as high as I wanted...but I thought it was just always gonna be that way....but once you blow dry it....you see a major change.

No more tacky feel....no sticking together. :)

- - - Updated - - -

How long should I blow dry?

Hard to say as blow dryer heats vary....what I can say though is you will visibly notice the change in the paint....and can stop when you feel you've gotten the look you want...

For me it takes literal seconds!

Yea exactly!

I would run into the same problem before....and also the rise on the paint wasn't as high as I wanted...but I thought it was just always gonna be that way....but once you blow dry it....you see a major change.

No more tacky feel....no sticking together. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hard to say as blow dryer heats vary....what I can say though is you will visibly notice the change in the paint....and can stop when you feel you've gotten the look you want...

For me it takes literal seconds!
Cool thanks

I'm almost done puff painting the entire suit...and I will post pics shortly.

It's incredible the difference heat makes.

I've also been unable to find matte puff paint in stores so I started experimenting with mixing TULIP matte fabric paint with TULIP puff paint in equal parts....and it looks great.

Really good

I made my nephew a Spider Man tee, grey shirt with a red Spider symbol, then added black webs to the sleeves, (not knowing Spidey suits used Puff Paint) and accidentally ran into a cool way to do matte Spidey webs lol. I knew to heat it and all but this was a few years ago before I was fully saturated in @Therpf knowhow's haha

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my nephew a Spider Man tee, grey shirt with a red Spider symbol, then added black webs to the sleeves, (not knowing Spidey suits used Puff Paint) and accidentally ran into a cool way to do matte Spidey webs lol. I knew to heat it and all but this was a few years ago before I was fully saturated in @Therpf knowhow's haha

That sounds cool man!
I think I might actually use that idea as a quick project....

sweet idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?

I think the exact opposite....after being blow dried they look and feel like a quality rubber and they aren't all sticky anymore. ..I find that usually cheaper looking materials have that overly aggressive shine to them...but it's all just opinion!

I just think shiny webs catch people's eyes more than matte webs. Though thicker webs do look better when they're matte.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back