Star Trek Communicators

This one is a classic for sure...I remember these at cons as early as 1978 and sold for 40 bucks.

I think New Eye Studios and a couple others sold it in Kit form at one time.

Gotta love the old classics :)

Roger

I received the communicator from the Vegas ST, and when I flipped it open the sounds were not great. It almost sounds like a blown speaker would sound. All of the other sounds were great. BUT, it also has something broken off inside, and I can hear it shaking around in there. Is this "normal" with these? I have been waiting 10 days for my DHL call tag for a replacement communicator. I called them yesterday to see where it was, and they told me that they didn't send the call tag yet?.?.?.?. So I'm still waiting for that. So it will be at least 2 - 3 weeks by the time I get the replacement.

Let me know if anybody elses Vegas ST TOS communicator does this as well, and maybe I'll just keep the one I got. But I would like a better one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirJediKnightTim @ Apr 30 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]1235880[/snapback]</div>
I received the communicator from the Vegas ST, and when I flipped it open the sounds were not great. It almost sounds like a blown speaker would sound. All of the other sounds were great. BUT, it also has something broken off inside, and I can hear it shaking around in there. Is this "normal" with these? I have been waiting 10 days for my DHL call tag for a replacement communicator. I called them yesterday to see where it was, and they told me that they didn't send the call tag yet?.?.?.?. So I'm still waiting for that. So it will be at least 2 - 3 weeks by the time I get the replacement.

Let me know if anybody elses Vegas ST TOS communicator does this as well, and maybe I'll just keep the one I got. But I would like a better one.
[/b]

The STTE Comm is "similar" to the MR in shape and design but that is where the similarities end. The texture and material of the black body is different. The finish on the grill is different. The sounds used in the STTE are very crappy. The motor for the moire is much louder. The list goes on but suffice it to say that the original tooling and molds for the MR were apparently used but they used substandard materials for the STTE version.

As for the broken piece rattling around? That shouldn't be... Some people have reported that the newest run of these are of a lower quality than the initial release. Still for the price as compared to the MR... a very good deal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurferGeek @ Apr 30 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]1235908[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirJediKnightTim @ Apr 30 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]1235880[/snapback]

[/b]

The STTE Comm is "similar" to the MR in shape and design but that is where the similarities end. The texture and material of the black body is different. The finish on the grill is different. The sounds used in the STTE are very crappy. The motor for the moire is much louder. The list goes on but suffice it to say that the original tooling and molds for the MR were apparently used but they used substandard materials for the STTE version.

As for the broken piece rattling around? That shouldn't be... Some people have reported that the newest run of these are of a lower quality than the initial release. Still for the price as compared to the MR... a very good deal.
[/b][/quote]

What about the sound when you flip open the communicator? All of the other sounds sound pretty good to me, but I'm not sure if that sound is "broken" or if it's suposed to sound like that? Does anybody know?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirJediKnightTim @ Apr 30 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]1236007[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurferGeek @ Apr 30 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]1235908[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirJediKnightTim @ Apr 30 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]1235880[/snapback]

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

What about the sound when you flip open the communicator? All of the other sounds sound pretty good to me, but I'm not sure if that sound is "broken" or if it's suposed to sound like that? Does anybody know?
[/b][/quote]

Without actually hearing your com... The quality of the sound sample and the quality of the speaker they used makes for an overall bad playback.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurferGeek @ Apr 30 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]1236011[/snapback]</div>
Without actually hearing your com... The quality of the sound sample and the quality of the speaker they used makes for an overall bad playback.
[/b]

I wonder if there is a way to open the communicator (I have the box sealed and ready to go back), and see what's wattling around? If I could do that, and the sound was really normal, I'd just keep it and forget about the headache sending it back.

A really awful "chirp" sound is a common observation about this comm. Although the rattling concerns me, your chirp sound isn't "broken", it just sucks like the rest of them. :(

I was the first in line to grab two of them when they came out. Polished all of the aluminum etc, et. all. After a month or so they wore off on me as I held them up next to my Master Replicas. I finally sold them on ebay for what I paid for them. But at $50.00, they are a great prop. We would have killed for them five years ago.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Force Commander @ Feb 28 2006, 03:11 AM) [snapback]1195231[/snapback]</div>
I made this years ago based on a sketch in a Trek book. I am sure someone will remember which book it is, as I do not seem to have it out out in my studio.
[/b]

Someone going to build this into reality??

I have the STE Comm and a Nimony Signature MR. The MR never comes out of the display box, and the STE get played with all the time. Sure, they don't sound great, but heck they are fund to play with. I added a bit of tissue to back up the speaker and to dim the lights down and I really like it now. IMHO much better thant he IPI or the Playmates. Not as polished as a MR. A Rodd.com with all the same features would be much more.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back