Star Trek Communicators

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by stingray, Jan 5, 2006.

1. stingray

stingray Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Since there is a Star Trek Phaser thread, I thought it might be fitting to start a Star Trek Communicator thread. Here are a few in my collection:

Rodd.com Communicator with Capt JTK shells. It also has a spinning moire powered by a stop watch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playmates Communicator with upgraded moire by USSCassiopeia and Brass Antenna lid by Osprey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jhusel posts some of your pics. They are the best.
    I will be posting more later.

PS - There might be a thread out there like this, but I could not find it if there is one.

2. jhusel

jhusel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

LOL, sure thing bud. Nice comms you have there by the way

MR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rod.com/HMS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TNG Comm
    [​IMG]

Voyager Comm
    [​IMG]

Jhusel

3. stingray

I am still working on getting my pictures to look as nice as yours.

4. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

Heres a bunch of custom stuff.

The pieces.
    [image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/StLouisKid/comm_parts.jpg[/image]

Assembled.
    [image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/StLouisKid/05commopen.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/StLouisKid/05commclsd.jpg[/image]

Then theres this one.
    Picture bought and paid for.
    [image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/StLouisKid/st_communicator.jpg[/image]

Then this funny brown one.
    Picture bought and paid for.
    [image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/StLouisKid/brownbrick.jpg[/image]

5. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

here is my SE/Vegas :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nothing fancy, but the only decent pic of my communicators I have right now.

6. stingray

Here is one of my STTE Communicators with the paint coating removed from the brass lid. I also replaced the phillips head screws with slotted brass screws. That made a world of difference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What's that you say? You want me to post photos of my props?.

*Sigh* Well ALL right... just this once... :lol

The Original communicator... seen only in the two pilot episodes, "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before"....

[​IMG]

This is a fantastic piece, built by our own Centralrepair and Blufive... using period electronics components, hand-fabricated replica circuit board, specially machined aluminum knobs...

[​IMG]

I quite like it. :D

Moving on to more familar territory, here's a classic CaptJTK build, plump with stopwatch. :D

[​IMG]

My CaptJTK next to an MR, so you can see how "fat" the MR is and how "narrow" the JTK is...

[​IMG]

Coyle "hero" Trek III comm with LEDs.

[​IMG]

Coyle Trek III landing party set (minus phaser, gotta get a nice "working" one of those some day... :unsure )

[​IMG]

8. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Man those are sweet, I'm usually a SW guy, but those classic Kirk ones really bring back fond childhood memories...and make me want one.

How much do those things go for? (Pardon my ignorance please.)

9. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Here are mine:

Cage Communicator

[image]http://www.jedi-academy.com/my_props/Cage_Communicator1.jpg[/image]

HMS TOS communicator with a working stopwatch moire:

[image]http://www.fancave.com/Original%20Photos/TOS_communicator.jpg[/image]

10. phase pistol

The best deal on classic Trek communicators is this one from the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas: $50.

https://www.startrekexp.com/store/cart.php?...t_detail&p=1254

You should be aware this is a "recast" of Master Replicas' version. But both claim to be licensed, so.. go figure. :unsure

- k

11. jhusel

Yeah, you can't beat that price. I love mine. The sound is kind of crappy, but otherwise it rocks..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Darth Maul

Darth Maul Well-Known Member

I may have to buy more of these after seeing all these pics, just have the MR right now.

[image]http://69.86.84.16/MySite/files/comm1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://69.86.84.16/MySite/files/comm2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://69.86.84.16/MySite/files/comm3.jpg[/image]

13. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Awesome, thanks for the link.

14. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Here are my Classics...
    3 are working, MR, Rebuilt "Calculator", and Playmates with mods...
    Top right is my good ole comm from 1975, which has been reworked several times over the years...

I don't have a shot of my movie coms or my Cage...but they're there ;)
    The Original Series Communicator is my all time favorite Prop.

And it was my fist as well.....

[​IMG]

15. Jimbo890

Here are some shots of my Rodd.com version:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. stingray

Great pictures Jimbo890.

17. phase pistol

Nice comms, guys. B)

So, is somebody gonna post a "smoothie"? :D

18. jhusel

A what??? :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. phase pistol

Mmmmmmmm.... Smooooooooth. :D

20. Jimbo890

I really need to make me a smoothie. Nice.

21. jhusel

Thanks guys... I really like the smoothy, just a neat, fairly rare comm.

Jhusel

22. stingray

Here is another one of mine. I bought it at a Trek convention in the mid 90's.
    Its non-functional.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

I just finished my JTK stopwatch hero build. I like it. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. jhusel

Cool communicator. I love the stopwatch in the communicator. I have one in my rod.com one, something about it just takes me back 40 years.....or ahead 40 years......whichever the case.

jhusel

25. Jimbo890

Thanks.

26. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

Here's another one of my communicators, based on the original known as the "Dwyer" communicator, now on display in the Science Fiction Museum in Seattle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. phase pistol

Modified Vegas? :D

The original:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- k

28. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

Yes indeed, modified Vegas. :D Good catch.

29. phase pistol

This thread could use some Wrath of Khan communicator pix. B)

Presenting the CaptJTK kit, built up and finished by the master himself, Centralrepair.

[​IMG]

The markings on this one are actually custom "rubdown" dry transfers, designed by me and based on the Coyle photo (see below)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Compared with a Coyle photo of what is supposed to be an actual screenused prop

[​IMG]

Three-position switch controls the state of the red LED on the face... "off", "on" and "blinking"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Superb.

30. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Dude, you ought to see somebody about that.

WOW.

31. phase pistol

Yeah I was gonna post a "does this guy need help" reply, but then I looked at my own collection...

and decided to just let it go... :$

No. You can NOT have too many communicators. :sleep

- k

32. AdamsSpaceOddity

AdamsSpaceOddity New Member

of all the classic communicators made out there, the capt jtk, the vegas, the mr, the rodd.com, which is the most accurate body to the original??

33. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

That's sort of a hard question to answer seeing as all of the origionals were hand made and each was a little different than the next. The MR is "dead on" to the one they had to build from. Of course J Long would argue that, but only because they did not use the one he supplied them. They got ahold of a screen used hero to base it off of. Then J Long's is "dead on" to the one he got a hold of. The JTK however is recognized as one of the best to get a hold of if you can.

34. phase pistol

The MR (and therefore the Star Trek Experience "Vegas Comm") is really really spot on. But at first it was shocking, because people weren't used to seeing the comm so WIDE in the face view, and so "fat" in the side profile.

The key to understanding this is the fact that the shells are vacuformed plastic, and small differences in how the shells are trimmed cause screenused props to look different.

Personally I think the MR comm is trimmed too much at the top, resulting in the wedge or pear-shaped profile. Not that the "butt" is too fat, but that the top is too narrow. Just by millimeters though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- k

35. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

Here's one I bet you guys have not seen and if so, it has been awhile...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is from the 70's, and was sold at cons, you could buy it either assembled or you could buy the kit and do it yourself...

Roger

36. Force Commander

Force Commander Well-Known Member

I made this years ago based on a sketch in a Trek book. I am sure someone will remember which book it is, as I do not seem to have it out out in my studio.

37. phase pistol

Why, that I believe is the flip-grid communicator that John Eaves designed for "Star Trek Generations."

It seems (as Eaves admits in "Star Trek Sketchbook: The Movies"), when the artist was called in to work on the first TNG-era movie, one of his first assignments was to design a "new communicator". So he sketched out a Kirk-style black and gold flipgrid model.

That's right, while Eaves had in fact seen TOS, he had never watched an episode of Next Generation. So he did not know that the delta-shield badges on the uniforms were used as communicators.

Yes, as incredible as it seems... and you have John Eaves to thank for the design of the Enterprise-E. :unsure

- k

38. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

that WOK communicator is sweet.

Btw, just picked up a vegas comm.

Woot.

39. pyxl

pyxl Well-Known Member

I have an MR, but this is one I recently shared...a pimped out "playmates"...overhauled the shell, new lid (from Osprey1111) and new...well...everything. Correct radio grill, TMOST moire...aluminum center plate...looking back it seems like a lot of work for the playmate...but I like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. phase pistol

Wow Roger, what's going on with the flipgrid hinge on that comm? :confused

[​IMG]

Thing in the middle, split toothed wheels on either side.... dayum. :lol

- k

41. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

This one is a classic for sure...I remember these at cons as early as 1978 and sold for 40 bucks.

I think New Eye Studios and a couple others sold it in Kit form at one time.

Gotta love the old classics :)

Roger

42. SirJediKnightTim

SirJediKnightTim Well-Known Member

I received the communicator from the Vegas ST, and when I flipped it open the sounds were not great. It almost sounds like a blown speaker would sound. All of the other sounds were great. BUT, it also has something broken off inside, and I can hear it shaking around in there. Is this "normal" with these? I have been waiting 10 days for my DHL call tag for a replacement communicator. I called them yesterday to see where it was, and they told me that they didn't send the call tag yet?.?.?.?. So I'm still waiting for that. So it will be at least 2 - 3 weeks by the time I get the replacement.

Let me know if anybody elses Vegas ST TOS communicator does this as well, and maybe I'll just keep the one I got. But I would like a better one.

43. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirJediKnightTim @ Apr 30 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]1235880[/snapback]</div>

The STTE Comm is "similar" to the MR in shape and design but that is where the similarities end. The texture and material of the black body is different. The finish on the grill is different. The sounds used in the STTE are very crappy. The motor for the moire is much louder. The list goes on but suffice it to say that the original tooling and molds for the MR were apparently used but they used substandard materials for the STTE version.

As for the broken piece rattling around? That shouldn't be... Some people have reported that the newest run of these are of a lower quality than the initial release. Still for the price as compared to the MR... a very good deal.

44. SirJediKnightTim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurferGeek @ Apr 30 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]1235908[/snapback]</div>

The STTE Comm is "similar" to the MR in shape and design but that is where the similarities end. The texture and material of the black body is different. The finish on the grill is different. The sounds used in the STTE are very crappy. The motor for the moire is much louder. The list goes on but suffice it to say that the original tooling and molds for the MR were apparently used but they used substandard materials for the STTE version.

As for the broken piece rattling around? That shouldn't be... Some people have reported that the newest run of these are of a lower quality than the initial release. Still for the price as compared to the MR... a very good deal.
    [/b][/quote]

What about the sound when you flip open the communicator? All of the other sounds sound pretty good to me, but I'm not sure if that sound is "broken" or if it's suposed to sound like that? Does anybody know?

45. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirJediKnightTim @ Apr 30 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]1236007[/snapback]</div>

[/b][/quote]

What about the sound when you flip open the communicator? All of the other sounds sound pretty good to me, but I'm not sure if that sound is "broken" or if it's suposed to sound like that? Does anybody know?
    [/b][/quote]

Without actually hearing your com... The quality of the sound sample and the quality of the speaker they used makes for an overall bad playback.

46. SirJediKnightTim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurferGeek @ Apr 30 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]1236011[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder if there is a way to open the communicator (I have the box sealed and ready to go back), and see what's wattling around? If I could do that, and the sound was really normal, I'd just keep it and forget about the headache sending it back.

47. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A really awful "chirp" sound is a common observation about this comm. Although the rattling concerns me, your chirp sound isn't "broken", it just sucks like the rest of them. :(

48. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

I was the first in line to grab two of them when they came out. Polished all of the aluminum etc, et. all. After a month or so they wore off on me as I held them up next to my Master Replicas. I finally sold them on ebay for what I paid for them. But at $50.00, they are a great prop. We would have killed for them five years ago.

49. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Force Commander @ Feb 28 2006, 03:11 AM) [snapback]1195231[/snapback]</div>

Someone going to build this into reality??

50. Jimbo890

I have the STE Comm and a Nimony Signature MR. The MR never comes out of the display box, and the STE get played with all the time. Sure, they don't sound great, but heck they are fund to play with. I added a bit of tissue to back up the speaker and to dim the lights down and I really like it now. IMHO much better thant he IPI or the Playmates. Not as polished as a MR. A Rodd.com with all the same features would be much more.