Star Trek Communicators

Here is another one of mine. I bought it at a Trek convention in the mid 90's.
Its non-functional.

ConvComm.jpg

ConvCommOpen.jpg

Cool communicator. I love the stopwatch in the communicator. I have one in my rod.com one, something about it just takes me back 40 years.....or ahead 40 years......whichever the case.

jhusel

Here's another one of my communicators, based on the original known as the "Dwyer" communicator, now on display in the Science Fiction Museum in Seattle.

Dwyer-1.jpg

Dwyer-9.jpg

Dwyer-3.jpg

Dwyer-6.jpg

Originally posted by WinstonWolf359@Jan 9 2006, 09:29 PM
Here's another one of my communicators, based on the original known as the "Dwyer" communicator, now on display in the Science Fiction Museum in Seattle.
[snapback]1154983[/snapback]​

Modified Vegas? :D

The original:

Dwyercover.jpg

realcomm-JohnDwyer.jpg

- k

This thread could use some Wrath of Khan communicator pix. B)

Presenting the CaptJTK kit, built up and finished by the master himself, Centralrepair.

kt-WOK-closed.jpg

The markings on this one are actually custom "rubdown" dry transfers, designed by me and based on the Coyle photo (see below)

kt-WOK-open-hand.jpg

kt-WOK-back.jpg

Compared with a Coyle photo of what is supposed to be an actual screenused prop

kt-WOK-vsCoylepic.jpg

Three-position switch controls the state of the red LED on the face... "off", "on" and "blinking"

kt-WOK-translockswitch.jpg

kt-WOK-open03face.jpg

kt-WOK-openback-vsKirk.jpg

Superb.

Originally posted by Sporak@Jan 6 2006, 01:38 AM
Here are my Classics...
3 are working, MR, Rebuilt "Calculator", and Playmates with mods...
Top right is my good ole comm from 1975, which has been reworked several times over the years...

I don't have a shot of my movie coms or my Cage...but they're there ;)
The Original Series Communicator is my all time favorite Prop.

And it was my fist as well.....

comp4ce.jpg

[snapback]1152010[/snapback]​

Dude, you ought to see somebody about that.

WOW.

Yeah I was gonna post a "does this guy need help" reply, but then I looked at my own collection...

and decided to just let it go... :$

No. You can NOT have too many communicators. :sleep

- k

Originally posted by AdamsSpaceOddity@Feb 27 2006, 09:08 PM
of all the classic communicators made out there, the capt jtk, the vegas, the mr, the rodd.com, which is the most accurate body to the original??
[snapback]1195022[/snapback]​

That's sort of a hard question to answer seeing as all of the origionals were hand made and each was a little different than the next. The MR is "dead on" to the one they had to build from. Of course J Long would argue that, but only because they did not use the one he supplied them. They got ahold of a screen used hero to base it off of. Then J Long's is "dead on" to the one he got a hold of. The JTK however is recognized as one of the best to get a hold of if you can.

The MR (and therefore the Star Trek Experience "Vegas Comm") is really really spot on. But at first it was shocking, because people weren't used to seeing the comm so WIDE in the face view, and so "fat" in the side profile.

The key to understanding this is the fact that the shells are vacuformed plastic, and small differences in how the shells are trimmed cause screenused props to look different.

Personally I think the MR comm is trimmed too much at the top, resulting in the wedge or pear-shaped profile. Not that the "butt" is too fat, but that the top is too narrow. Just by millimeters though.

MRvsScreengrablines.jpg

MR-vs-MirrorMirroyscotty.jpg

- k

Here's one I bet you guys have not seen and if so, it has been awhile...

swirlcomm%20001.jpg

swirlcomm%20005.jpg

swirlcomm%20006.jpg

swirlcomm%20007.jpg

This is from the 70's, and was sold at cons, you could buy it either assembled or you could buy the kit and do it yourself...

Roger

I made this years ago based on a sketch in a Trek book. I am sure someone will remember which book it is, as I do not seem to have it out out in my studio.

Why, that I believe is the flip-grid communicator that John Eaves designed for "Star Trek Generations."

It seems (as Eaves admits in "Star Trek Sketchbook: The Movies"), when the artist was called in to work on the first TNG-era movie, one of his first assignments was to design a "new communicator". So he sketched out a Kirk-style black and gold flipgrid model.

That's right, while Eaves had in fact seen TOS, he had never watched an episode of Next Generation. So he did not know that the delta-shield badges on the uniforms were used as communicators.

Yes, as incredible as it seems... and you have John Eaves to thank for the design of the Enterprise-E. :unsure

- k

I have an MR, but this is one I recently shared...a pimped out "playmates"...overhauled the shell, new lid (from Osprey1111) and new...well...everything. Correct radio grill, TMOST moire...aluminum center plate...looking back it seems like a lot of work for the playmate...but I like it.

fcom1.jpg

fcom2.jpg

fcom3.jpg

Wow Roger, what's going on with the flipgrid hinge on that comm? :confused

swirlcomm%20005.jpg

Thing in the middle, split toothed wheels on either side.... dayum. :lol

- k

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back